PDA

View Full Version : Help settle a trimming question

monty3777
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm on a good natured fact finding mission because Mark, Jeff, and I can't seem to agree on the rules about trimmed comp meats. We understand that teams can trim meat before a contest. That's not an issue. But we have found ourselves wondering if the meat must be vacuumed packed. One of us believes that it is enough to put the trimmed meat in a Rubbermaid container, two of us suspect that meat must be repackaged and vacuum sealed. Can you folks weigh in so that we can put this issue to rest. :heh:

Scottie
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I think as long as the chicken is not with the other meats and can contaminate them, that is suffcient. I vacuum seal for so that nothing gets in with the other meat or the ice... I used to use a clear bag that was double wrapped. Until the bag broke and it filled with water. That sorta freaks me... Now I just throw them in my little Coke fridge in the back of the RV...

Finney
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Large 'zip' bags are fine and I know many teams that do that.
But I like to vac seal my stuff, because like Scottie, I've had a bag leak in the cooler. And that's not good.

Rookie'48
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Having done the meat inspection for two contests (KCBS), I would say that zip locks are ok, as is wraped in foil, saran wrap, etc. All we were checking was that it wasn't injected or seasoned in any way & that the meat was stored at proper temps.

ModelMaker
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
What the old master judge above says...
Ed

WhiskeyBentBBQ
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
We have used ziplocks and even trash bags tied off and never had any problem as long as we had the meat at temperature and we always keep the labeling just to be safe.

monty3777
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
So a Rubbermaid or Tupperware container is good to go?

Stoke&Smoke
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
long as it's sealed, I haven't seen any additional rules on KCBS. we usually either have ours inspected still in the cryo (trying to get away from that and always trim ahead of time), food server sealed, or at the very least double bagged in ZipLocks

We put it either in a cooler or Carlisle, chicken ALWAYS on the bottom

Rookie'48
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
What the old master judge above says...
Ed

OLD ??? Why you whipper-snaper .....

Q-Dat
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
This is really good to know. I thought it had to be in the packaging from where it was purchased at the time of inspection. Knowing this might just get us a little more sleep!

Rookie'48
03-03-2011, 10:47 PM
This is really good to know. I thought it had to be in the packaging from where it was purchased at the time of inspection. Knowing this might just get us a little more sleep!

I would save the labels just in case someone asked for them. But what about the guy who raises his own hogs - where does he get labels? Although KCBS doesn't even mention labels I have heard of some meat inspectors asking for origonal packaging :crazy:.