PDA

View Full Version : sweeteners

LT72884
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I am looking for alternative sweeteners for dry rubs:

Is there anything from another country that is sweet and tasty that i can buy to use rather than brown or tubinado sugar?

Thanks guys

feltrider99
03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I have been using some stevia in my rubs to cut down on the sugar. It is supposed to be a couple hundred times sweeter than regular sugar, so you don't have to use very much. It doesn't caramelize like standard sugar but still tastes pretty good!

I picked up a little bottle of the Now brand at Good Earth for around $5 and it has lasted for a long, long time. I have also tried it in sauce and it works pretty well there, though I still prefer adding molasses and brown sugar (for the flavor).

Smoothsmoke
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Splenda

Their is a Splenda/Brown sugar mix too. Honey powder?

Stoke&Smoke
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
We bought some Stevia in the raw with that use in mind, but I honestly haven't tried it yet. Would be interested to hear from those that have.

LT72884
03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
honey powder? never heard of it! i know there has to be something out there that is unique. Brown sugar, sugar and raw sugar are kinda getting overused at my house. haha.

would like something different. I have not tried stevia or splenda yet.

What do they use in india or asia as a sweetener that is a powder?

thanks

Smoothsmoke
03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Cherry powder too.

Smoothsmoke
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Question
Would one be able to dehydrate any fruit, then grind it to powder form?

eddieh70301
03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
you can buy allspice or garam masala. the latter is an indian spice that is made with different spices. Both are sweet but not on the same level as sugar. I use both in rubs, depending on the flavor profile I am looking for.
I've never used Stevia or another like that as I do not care for the taste. Someone mentioned honey powder. I have not tried it but it's on my list to purchase. I saw it at americanspice.com and I think myspicesage.com. I've ordered things from both companies. American Spice is faster on shipping.

LT72884
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Question

smokin meats forum has a rub that uses dehydrated cherries.

6 Tbls (heaping) dried cherries, hand minced and freshly ground
1.5 Tbls freshly ground garlic powder from minced
1.5 Tbls freshly ground black peppercorn
1 Tbls sweet basil leaves, freshly ground
1 Tbls oregano, freshly ground
1 Tbls rosemary leaves, freshly ground
1 Tbls paprika
1.5 Tbls kosher salt, ground

h00kemh0rns
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Date sugar

Agave Nectar

LT72884
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Ill have to look into honey powder. i knew about cherry powder and apple powder when i received a rub from simply marvelous. never new that stuff existed so i googled it.

El Ropo
03-01-2011, 07:04 PM
A little fresh minced ginger root might help kick it up a notch.

42BBQ
03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I like Stevia, all natural product with zero calories. However, have not tried it in Que yet. Would love to hear some results.

OL' Timer
03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Agave Nectar goes in my sauce's, baked beans and coleslaws. Stevia mixed with chicken broth is my spritz solution. It does not take much Stevia as I mix 1/2 tsp to 24 oz of broth and it gives it a good flavor.

OakPit
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Agave Nectar goes in my sauce's, baked beans and coleslaws. Stevia mixed with chicken broth is my spritz solution. It does not take much Stevia as I mix 1/2 tsp to 24 oz of broth and it gives it a good flavor.

Agave Nectar - Great suggestion. It is available in most natural foods sections of the grocery store. It has the consistency of maple syrup. For me, Stevia makes my sauce taste like Diet Coke tastes vs. Regular Coke.

Mitch
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
+1 for agave. I use it often for yardbird.

OakPit
03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
+1 for agave. I use it often for yardbird.

Great combo!

h00kemh0rns
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Agave is exactly what I use in combination with my chile colorado sauce to make a glaze for da bird :becky:

OL' Timer
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Agave is good for diabetics as it metabolizes slowly into the blood stream and the stevia is perfect for diabetics also. I make 6 racks of ribs for my regular vending customers who are diabetic. Thay come every week. (:

LT72884
03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
wow, agave seems to be popular. i use it on me cereal sometimes when we have it.

Any other powders i should keep an eye out for?

tahnks

infernooo
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Palm Sugar
Coconut Sugar

LT72884
03-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Palm Sugar
Coconut Sugar

whoa whoa!

Coconut sugar? that sounds AWESOME. hmm, might be good for pulled pork and babybacks.

Palm sugar. need to find out where to get both of these!

tahnks

LT72884
03-01-2011, 10:41 PM
there is also purevia

www.purevia.com

Psammead
03-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Question
In theory yes. The best result would be from vacuum / freeze drying to really get the fruit dry and crisp ready for grinding but I don't see how standard dessicating and then grinding wouldn't work. Dont forget though that any acidity in the fruit will also be much stronger after drying which can make some fruit actually taste really sour once dried.

QDoc
03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
If your trying to cut carbs I would recommend using splenda. Keep your temps below that recommended for the product. It the end of the cook lightly spray with a simple brown sugar solution to put a little shine on it.

LT72884
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
so i contacted myspicesage.com and they sent me a list of powdery spices that could be used as sweeteners. All which have been discussed all ready. I know there has to be another seasoning from another country that is available online somewhere.

LT72884
03-05-2011, 11:21 PM
what about an imported natural sweetener?

thanks

h00kemh0rns
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
What exactly are you wanting that those which have been offered up don't have?

LT72884
03-06-2011, 12:35 AM
What exactly are you wanting that those which have been offered up don't have?

something imported. I have tried alot of the other stuff. I have written down all the suggestions in this thread and i am for sure gonna try them. We used stevia on the chops this week and it was alright. different but alright. Agave nector is next on the list for a galze and a sauce.

Im just looking for a imported natural sweetener that can be used as a replacement to sugar. Needs to be a dry spice though, not a wet substance since it will be used in a dry spice rub.

thanks for all the suggestions. I have ALOT to try out.

Mitch
03-06-2011, 06:01 AM
You don't need sugar to have great Q. Salt and pepper is fine. It's the meat not the glaze.

dworl
03-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Try jaggery from India or brazzein (cweet) from Africa which is supposed to be three times sweeter than stevia.

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Still don't see what you're trying to accomplish as any of the ones mentioned are great for rubs. An imported sweetener is no better than what we have here in the states...just different. Especially in the application as a rub since the byproduct after cooking is a crust.

But here is a list of everything you can find through Google. I don't think you're going to find much more.

Natural sugar substitutes

Brazzein — protein, 800ื sweetness of sucrose (by weight)
Curculin — protein, 550ื sweetness (by weight)
Erythritol — 0.7ื sweetness (by weight), 14ื sweetness of sucrose (by food energy), 0.05ื energy density of sucrose
Glycyrrhizin — 50ื sweetness (by weight)
Glycerol — 0.6ื sweetness (by weight), 0.55ื sweetness (by food energy), 1.075ื energy density, E422
Hydrogenated starch hydrolysates — 0.4–0.9ื sweetness (by weight), 0.5ื–1.2ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.75ื energy density
Inulin
Isomalt — 0.45–0.65ื sweetness (by weight), 0.9–1.3ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.5ื energy density, E953
Lactitol — 0.4ื sweetness (by weight), 0.8ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.5ื energy density, E966
Luo han guo - 300ื sweetness (by weight)
Mabinlin — protein, 100ื sweetness (by weight)
Maltitol — 0.9ื sweetness (by weight), 1.7ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.525ื energy density, E965
Malto-oligosaccharide
Mannitol — 0.5ื sweetness (by weight), 1.2ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.4ื energy density, E421
Miraculin — protein, does not taste sweet by itself, but modifies taste receptors to make sour things taste sweet temporarily
Monatin — naturally-occurring sweetener isolated from the plant Sclerochiton ilicifolius
Monellin — protein, 3,000ื sweetness (by weight); the sweetening ingredient in serendipity berries
Osladin
Pentadin — protein, 500ื sweetness (by weight)
Sorbitol — 0.6ื sweetness (by weight), 0.9ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.65ื energy density, E420
Stevia — 250ื sweetness (by weight) - extracts known as rebiana, Truvia, PureVia; mainly containing rebaudioside A, a steviol glycoside
Tagatose — 0.92ื sweetness (by weight), 2.4ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.38ื energy density
Thaumatin — protein, 2,000ื sweetness (by weight), E957
Xylitol — 1.0ื sweetness (by weight), 1.7ื sweetness (by food energy), 0.6ื energy density, E967

The sap of some species is concentrated to make sweeteners, usually through drying or boiling.

Cane juice, syrup, molasses, and raw sugar, which has many regional and commercial names including demerara, jaggery, muscovado, panela, piloncillo, turbinado sugar, Florida Crystals and Sucanat, are all made from sugarcane (Saccharum spp.).
Sweet sorghum syrup is made from the sugary juice extracted from the stalks of Sorghum spp., especially S. bicolor.[citation needed]
Mexican or maize sugar can be made by boiling down the juice of green maize stalks.
Agave nectar is made from the sap of Agave spp., including tequila agave (Agave tequilana).
Birch syrup is made from the sap of Birch trees (Betula spp.).
Maple syrup, taffy and sugar are made from the sap of tapped maple trees (Acer spp.).
Palm sugar is made by tapping the flower stalk of various palms to collect the sap. The most important species for this is the Indian date palm (Phoenix sylvestris), but other species used include palmyra (Borassus flabelliformis), coconut (Cocos nucifera), toddy (Caryota urens), gomuti (Arenga saccharifera), and nipa (Nypa fruticans) palms.
The sweet resin of the Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana) was considered by John Muir to be better than maple sugar.

LT72884
03-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Still don't see what you're trying to accomplish as any of the ones mentioned are great for rubs. An imported sweetener is no better than what we have here in the states...just different. Especially in the application as a rub since the byproduct after cooking is a crust.

But here is a list of everything you can find through Google. I don't think you're going to find much more.

Nice, thanks man. I happen to see this last night when i was searching for it on google myself. I have contacted many spice companies and they all say that the taste of sweet is the same no matter what you choose. Its just what you mix with it that will change the flavor of it.

Im gonna try and find this said jaggery and see what it tastes like.

Meat Burner
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
LT, we have been using this lately and like the results.

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Here's one more after careful thought. If you happen to be looking for say a certain color of sweetener for the rub this is an alternative:

Panela powder:
Panela is unrefined whole cane sugar, typical of Latin America, which is basically a solid piece of sucrose and fructose obtained from the boiling and evaporation of sugarcane juice.

Common Spanish names: chancaca, papel๓n, piloncillo, panocha, rapadura, atado dulce or empanizao. In India and Pakistan a similar product is made which is called gur or jaggery. In Brazil, it is known as rapadura.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I3hvDB9k8H0/Sj7HchL0G9I/AAAAAAAABcE/QEKUC3JXCEo/s1600/g4.jpg

LT72884
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
sweet action. thanks man. Im going to go find that. I hope the local latin market carries it. Did i hear right about the steak seasoning? Thanks for all your time and efforts

@ meat burner. ok cool. i have had ALOT of people tell me about honey powder. so i think i have to try that and ALL the other suggestions until i find what im lookin for.

Thanks all.

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
sweet action. thanks man. Im going to go find that. I hope the local latin market carries it. Did i hear right about the steak seasoning? Thanks for all your time and efforts

Based on what I saw it's about a 3-1-1-1 ratio with Butt Rub, Steak Seasoning, Chili powder, and the sweetener which I truly think is Panela Powder.

LT72884
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
whats butt rub? is there a recipe for it?

thanks.

i noticed the same ratio, just couldnt figure out the ingredients

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Butt Rub is a commercial rub: Butt Rub (https://shop.buttrub.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3)

LT72884
03-06-2011, 11:10 PM
dang it, ok cool. i need to watch the video again. i didnt know they used butt rub in the video. i was at work when i watched it so i must have messed it.

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Look at 1:35 of the video.

h00kemh0rns
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
The steak seasoning based on texture might be this: McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning, 29-Ounce Units (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z7Hn-yUoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Z7Hn-yUoL (http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning-29-Ounce/dp/B001EQ56Y4)

LT72884
03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
yeah i was thinking it was mcormik because i saw the course salt and garlic in it. I wonder iff this is the same rub they use on there ribs and butts? crap. now i gotta call em tomorrow. haha

i just watched the movie and i noticed they said butt rub and all the other stuff. thats way good to know.

thanks for the help.

i should try it on a chuck roast and see if its any good