PDA

View Full Version : Figured out new use for my old cheap gas grill!

kevine
02-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Well, I have a cheap, old stainless steel grill that I bought about 5-6 years ago. I've kept it around for my wife so she can grill chicken, pork chops, etc. during the week, when she needs something quick for her and the kids.

I haven't used it, except for some non-meat recipes, for over a year. Lately, I've been using it exclusively for cleaning the grill grates from my smoker and charcoal grills...turn it on high, and five minutes later, give it a good brush and voila! I'm sure this is not new info, but if you don't have a gas grill, you can find used cheap ones on CL for about $25...not a bad grill cleaning tool versus adding more charcoal to get the grill up to 350-400, just to clean the grates. Or am I the only one dumb enough to have done that a couple times? :doh:

martyleach
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
you can also use it to heat up your wood before throwing them into your smoker's firebox.

Drifter
02-21-2011, 11:22 PM
or season cast iron skillets so you don't smoke up the house!!

Callahan-que
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Beat me to it:-D

Rookie'48
02-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Lighting your chimney on the side burner.

TIMMAY
02-22-2011, 03:49 AM
+1 for the side burner and the chimney. I also use the side burner to heat up the bluing salts so I can nitre blue knife parts and not worry about splashing 650deg molten potassium nitrate on anything important (such as myself).

Hub
02-22-2011, 05:55 AM
I use the side burner on mine for searing peppers -- works great, doesn't mess up the gas range top in the house and doesn't set off the smoke alarm.

DavidLSI
02-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Well, I have a cheap, old stainless steel grill that I bought about 5-6 years ago. I've kept it around for my wife so she can grill chicken, pork chops, etc. during the week, when she needs something quick for her and the kids.

I haven't used it, except for some non-meat recipes, for over a year. Lately, I've been using it exclusively for cleaning the grill grates from my smoker and charcoal grills...turn it on high, and five minutes later, give it a good brush and voila! I'm sure this is not new info, but if you don't have a gas grill, you can find used cheap ones on CL for about $25...not a bad grill cleaning tool versus adding more charcoal to get the grill up to 350-400, just to clean the grates. Or am I the only one dumb enough to have done that a couple times? :doh:

That is a good idea, that I will use this week.

TN_BBQ
02-22-2011, 07:24 AM
My old gasser sits next to the kettle grill. It often serves as a side table when I'm grilling.

I've also been known to do some meat prep work out there so as not to dirty up the kitchen as much. Real easy to just hose it off or fire it up for a few minutes.

But, you are correct about finding cheap ones on CL (often with the propane tank). If you were somewhat handy, you could take the hoses and regulator and make your own propane coal starter / poor man's weedburner. I've been considering that for too long.

B3
02-22-2011, 08:31 AM

or fry anything so you don't smoke up the house.

My old gasser sits next to the kettle grill. It often serves as a side table when I'm grilling.

and it can keep things (wood, coal, tongs, thermometer) dry in the rain by just closing the lid.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5206081632_eac0829b3f.jpg

Drifter
02-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Lighting your chimney on the side burner.

I use the side burner on mine for searing peppers -- works great, doesn't mess up the gas range top in the house and doesn't set off the smoke alarm.
Great minds think alike...that is more of the same stuff I do with mine!!

I've also been known to do some meat prep work out there so as not to dirty up the kitchen as much. Real easy to just hose it off or fire it up for a few minutes.

But, you are correct about finding cheap ones on CL (often with the propane tank). If you were somewhat handy, you could take the hoses and regulator and make your own propane coal starter / poor man's weedburner. I've been considering that for too long.
Mine also serves as a prep table and work station for my kettle!! As for cheap ones, when my neighbor across the street moved out he set his gasser out by the road for the trash man to take...well I grabbed it, the grates trashed, but it has a side burner and he left 2 propane bottles on it!! When time permits I will be removing the gasser from its frame and mounting my kettle on it. Poor mans Performer Mod!!!