PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Bash Has Begun!!!

jeffsasmokin
12-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Well Brothers, after weeks and weeks of preparation, the cooking for todays Holiday Barbeque has commenced. I started burning the hardwood down around 7 pm last night, priming the "Dera and 68 lbs. of meat hit the Pit around midnight. I dry rubbed and wrapped the meat on Thursday - and put a second coat on it just before it went in the chamber last night. It's around 5:30 am now, and I've been tending to it in between naps! Whew, I'm a little bit tired. But I think the shots of Cabo Wabo and Patron will wake me up once everyone starts gettin' here!!!!

I'll try to keep a post going with photos from time to time today. The thin blue smoke is just about perfect right now. Wish me luck Brothers - you've all helped to make this one of my best Q's ever!

MrSmoker
12-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Looks good Jeff,how are you holding up?Did you throw on some fatties for breakfast :wink:

jminion
12-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Jeff Be interested to know about how much wood you go through for this cook?

417bullelk
12-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Wow! Now that's a 'que session. Looks fantastic.

Your guests are in for a feast!!

Best of luck on your cookin'.

Neil
12-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Okay, I'm hungrey now. Looks real good.

kcquer
12-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Jeff, great looking feast in the works! I like the burndown barrel too. Wish my wood supply was plentiful enough to do it that way. Best of luck with your bash. Looks like its all gonna be great!!!

BigBelly
12-11-2004, 09:51 AM
OMG- thanks for making want to go out and buy a brisket or two!

Good Luck Dude!!!

tommykendall
12-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Jeff - give period updates throughout the day. This board gets pretty dead on Sat when no one is at work. :roll:

jeffsasmokin
12-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Ok Brothers - one brisket has been foiled and bumped up to 190 and in the cooler! The other brisket, sirloin roast and 2 of the butts are foiled and in the pit. The last butt is at 153 and climbing nice and slow. This is by far, the best Q I've ever produced, thanks to everyones tips and insight. I must say - WE KNOW HOW TO 'Q!!!
I tell ya, I've been busier than a one legged Dog at a sausage factory! LOL! This is the first chance since this morning that I've been able to get a breath and do a post. Once everything is in the cooler - I'll be able to post some more pictures. It's 12:45 pm here in Florida, and I think it's time for a cold beer and a shot of tequilla! Raise your glasses, Brothers!

More to come - stay tuned!

Jeff

tommykendall
12-11-2004, 03:31 PM
one brisket has been foiled and bumped up to 190 and in the cooler!

I wanna sammich - I farking big one.

think it's time for a cold beer and a shot of tequilla! Raise your glasses, Brothers!

I'm in...

Solidkick
12-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Good showing brother!! Looks good!

tommykendall
12-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Well - either Jeff keeled over from the food or is too hungover to give an update.

MrSmoker
12-12-2004, 01:47 PM
What away to go!(He OD'd on BBQ) :wink:

jeffsasmokin
12-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Well - either Jeff keeled over from the food or is too hungover to give an update.Yep! You're correct on BOTH counts! Sorry fella's, I appologize for being late on the updates, but as more people started trickling in the demands for my time time precluded me from getting to my computer. I'd basically been up since midnight Friday night to start the pit and the last of the partygoers didn't leave until 2:30 am, Sunday morning! Yesterday was a clean up and "recovery" day. It reminds me why I only throw THAT big of a bash 4 times a year!

Let me just say that the 'Q was fantastic! Once I started feeding everybody, the quiet of everyone stuffing their faces and the raves about the meat afterwards was music to my ears! I suppose that's why we do what we do............ right Brothers? Some of my friends think I'm insane to go through all that trouble, but to me, it's FUN because I love it!!!

It was hillarious to see a bunch of well fed intoxicated adults, sitting around my outdoor fireplace singing along to the Christmas music I was playing! Believe it or not, it had actually dipped down into the mid 40's here in South Florida that night - it was perfect for shooting the Bull around the fire pit.

Here's a few photos, my digital doesn't do well at night, so most of them are with my 35mm. I'll probably do a "photo album" once they are all developed.

Thanks for all the help and frienship guys!

racer_81
12-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice shirt. It rules.

jeffsasmokin
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Nice shirt. It rules.Thanks Racer! I have a few of the "Old Guys Rule" T-Shirts. The one with the Barbeque Logo is my new favorite! They make 'em with about every hobby you can imagine. Golf, Fishing, Surfing.......etc. Even one with a guy in the recliner with beer and remote in hand! LOL!

Jeff

cabo
12-13-2004, 05:43 PM
After that a chili cook off seems rather mundane.
Where do I get that shirt?????????

jeffsasmokin
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
After that a chili cook off seems rather mundane.
Where do I get that shirt?????????I got that particular OGR shirt from the following site:
http://poipoundershirts.com/oldguysrule.html

I get asked about them all the time!

markbet
12-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I like the burndown barrel too. Wish my wood supply was plentiful enough to do it that way.

What is burning down the hardwood? I have never heard that before. Does that give you hot coals when needed on a long burn?

tommykendall
12-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Nice shirt. It rules.

Neil Thole wants one for Xmas - Pass it on.

BigAl
12-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Nice!

Samichlaus
12-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Food looks great!

That shirt is classic!

jeffsasmokin
12-14-2004, 05:11 AM
I like the burndown barrel too. Wish my wood supply was plentiful enough to do it that way.

What is burning down the hardwood? I have never heard that before. Does that give you hot coals when needed on a long burn?Jeff Be interested to know about how much wood you go through for this cook?Well, one of the few fortunate things that occurred when Stuart got hit hit with the "Eyes" of 2 Hurricanes in a 3 week period was an abundant supply of wood. I mean it was EVERYWHERE!!! That was in September, and they still don't have it all picked up. Lucky me!

Anyway, I can tell you as a retired Firefighter - wood in the burning process contains phenols and creosote, none of which you want on your meat. Therefore, if you are going to smoke with real wood, it is necessary to burn it down first. The burn barrel I designed helps in that process. It more or less acts as a "chimney", once you get it going. All you do is feed it from the top, the rebar grate allows the embers to fall through, ready to scoop out with a flat shovel right into the firebox of your smoker! If your going to use real hard or fruitwood, this takes alot of the hassle out of it. Once it gets going, I don't even have to use split wood. I've tossed 14 to 16 inch round sections in it with no problems.

As far as how much wood...........I'd say around 100 lbs. would last about 10 to 12 hours (give or take). Allow yourself time to get it started. Use newpaper and kindling at the bottom, then go from small branches to fuel logs towards the top. Takes a good hour or so, but once it's going - you can feed the monster anything you want.

Hope that helps!

markbet
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
That is real interesting to know. Thank you for the info, and by the way, the meat I bet tastes as good as it looks! Thanks Jeff.

417bullelk
12-15-2004, 02:55 AM
That my brother is some beautiful Q. I bet it tasted better than it looks!! I sure wish I had the time to have a get together like that. I need to convince the guys at our fire station at work to get a smoker on the deck to go with the multitude of grills and fryers since I spend more time there than at home!!

The shirt is great!!

jeffsasmokin
12-15-2004, 05:15 AM
That my brother is some beautiful Q. I bet it tasted better than it looks!! I sure wish I had the time to have a get together like that. I need to convince the guys at our fire station at work to get a smoker on the deck to go with the multitude of grills and fryers since I spend more time there than at home!!

The shirt is great!!Thanks - yeah you really should do that. I was a Lieutenant at a Battalion Headquarters, and one of my female firefighters had a husband that was an avid hunter - he would always make time on the holidays to come in and tend the smoker. That really helps if you're at a busy Station.

BTW, it definitely tasted even better than it looked!

jeffsasmokin
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Here's some more photos that came in from the bash. Sorry they're such a late post! Tried to post an Album, but they all came out as a separate photo?