PDA

View Full Version : cooking in an eggfest, need recommendations

deepsouth
02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
greets all. i'm cooking in the second annual gulf coast eggfest and i've got a few things on the agenda, but i'm having a brain cramp trying to think of some things to add to the day of cooking.

i'll have a large, small and mini egg too cook on, so i'll have some grill space, but i'm thinking i need some stuff i can cook pretty quick as the cooking is from 9 am to 3 pm.

here is what i have so far....

venision tenderloin
italian meatballs
abt's
bacon wrapped asparagus
grilled stuffed mushrooms
stuffed peppers

thanks in advance

here is a link to the event page.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e3dwv63v2e089bae&llr=6db44dcab

JD McGee
02-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Do you have to bring you own eggs? Here they are provided for us. I usually cook on two larges and start off with smoked cheeses on one and ribs on the other. When the cheese is done I toss on some grilled stonefruits...peaches...etc.

Have fun!

R2Egg2Q
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
3 Eggs & all that is not enough?? Either you're an over achiever or I'm an under achiever!
Only 1 Egg & 3 dishes are expected of me. Are you bringing your own Eggs as extras?

deepsouth
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
i'm actually bringing along the small and mini from my collection.

as far as the number of items..... hahahaha..... i'm looking at the time i have and it seems like i can fit a few more items into the day.

i'm liking the grilled stone fruits idea....

JD McGee
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
i'm actually bringing along the small and mini from my collection.

as far as the number of items..... hahahaha..... i'm looking at the time i have and it seems like i can fit a few more items into the day.

i'm liking the grilled stone fruits idea....

Dust them up with some Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head...you'll WOW the crowd!

Big George's BBQ
02-14-2011, 01:34 PM
What are stone fruits

deepsouth
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Dust them up with some Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head...you'll WOW the crowd!

i'm well stocked on all the DP stuff! thanks for the recommendation. adding that to the list.

expatpig
02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
What are stone fruits

Fruits with a stone inside? Peaches, plums maybe?

Ron_L
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Fruits with a stone inside? Peaches, plums maybe?

Yep. Although plums are probably too soft to grill well. But, peaches or nectarines with Pineapple Head are great! So are slices of pineapple.

Another idea that Stoke&Smoke did at a local Eggfest is a variety of bacon wrapped things. Bacon wrapped dates are great. The bacon wrapped olives were interesting :-D. Fatties also go well.

Ron_L
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah... Bacon wrapped mushrooms! I cooked a bunch of those for an Eggfest in Chicago a couple of years ago. Cook them until the bacon is done and then glaze. I couldn't make them fast enough.

Bigdog
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Someone's got to do fatties, they're a Brethren classic. Slice them and cut into fourths. Could even top with cheese. Also are great dipped in Dreamland sauce.

And don't forget MOINK balls, another Brethren specialty, created here on this site by Larry of BBQ Grail.

deepsouth
02-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Someone's got to do fatties, they're a Brethren classic. Slice them and cut into fourths. Could even top with cheese. Also are great dipped in Dreamland sauce.

And don't forget MOINK balls, another Brethren specialty, created here on this site by Larry of BBQ Grail.

i thought about fatties, but usually, there are a few people doing those. i like the MOINK balls idea, especially since i haven't a clue what they really are although i see them all the time here on BB.

R2Egg2Q
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm paying close attention to this thread as I'm still working on my list of potentials!
Right now for me MOINK balls & char siu are looking likely. I've been told making dessert
or even breakfast can make you a hero as there's a point in which attendees reach "meat overload".
I found myself hitting that wall & seaching for dessert last year.

BobBrisket
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I can see some desserts being made with the use of Dutch oven, maybe even some chili.

Scott_nra
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I started doing a version of moinks a couple years ago before I heard the name. We used meatballs and Apricots, squered with bacon zig zagged in between. Bacon/Meatball/Apricot chunk/bacon/meatball/apricot chunk/etc. One whole peice of bacon and 4-5 meatballs/apricots is all that fits on a skewer. Dust up to taste and Cook hot and fast. With or without glaze. The zippiness of the fruit really goes great with the sweetness of the meatball and bacon flavor. THey'll go as fast as you can turn them out.

Bigdog
02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm actually not a big fan of MOINK balls. I made them once but did not like the frozen precooked sausage. A better moink, notice, no caps, might be cubed sirloin steak wrapped in bacon with a little rub.:cool: Sauce optional.

Buster Dog BBQ
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I did French toast in Oklahoma City. Easy and can be made ahead of time. I would cut back a little and enjoy some of your neighbors food too.