PDA

View Full Version : Stick Burner -Opinions on Lang 48 or 60 ??

tim hawk
02-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Looking at Langs 48 an the 60 anyone have any thoughts or use one of these any info please pros an cons.
thanks tim

MilitantSquatter
02-13-2011, 07:30 AM
quite a few members have them and love them. I've seen a few in action of numerous occasions and they make good Q.

The reverse flow option could be viewed as a pro or con depending on your perspective.

Pro - if you like more consistent temp throughout cook chamber

Con - if you like to have option of different heat zones for different meats, or if you're looking to speed up the cook in a hot spot.

Good Luck... I'm sure quite a few Lang owners will reply here.

The Pigman
02-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Militant you can change heat by lowering one end of smoker......

I love my 84.

The one thing I would have to say about the 48 and 60.....you will outgrow them real fast.

Norcoredneck
02-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Go big or go home!

MilitantSquatter
02-13-2011, 07:42 AM

that makes sense...

Thanks !!!

The Pigman
02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Hopefully you take that as lowering the tounge end where the grease drains or you will have FIRE......coming out of you smoke stack.

RedPig
02-13-2011, 08:29 AM
The one thing I would have to say about the 48 and 60.....you will outgrow them real fast.

I can vouch for that.

Babyboomerboy
02-13-2011, 08:29 AM

I would be interested in knowing how much of a change in temp you can get by lowering the front of a reverse flow, (tongue end, away from the firebox). Thank you

RedPig
02-13-2011, 08:38 AM
On a level 48 I find about a 20/30 degree higher temp on the firebox end. Not a bad thing. Use it to advantage. Some people fill theirs with sand, some water and a lot don't worry about that. 48's are great smokers, especially for the money. Pure and simple and some would say old school. I love them but if you are going to compete or cater, I would definitely go with the 84.

Bbq Bubba
02-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Go big or go home!

Ditto, always go with the bigger choice. The 48 is pretty small.

BBQ_MAFIA
02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I can't speak to the Lang 48 but I do have a 60 and a 84DLX.

First, you need to know what you plan on using the cooker for.
If you are cooking for your family and parties the Lang 60 should be all the cooker you need. If you outgrow the Lang 60 you are cooking a lot of meat on a regular basis.

The Lang 84 is a monster,I love it but it is big. If your only cooking for family or comps you won't need the 84.

Many times you will read, buy the next size up from what you are thinking about. In this case, the cookers are already large so unless you plan on cooking a ton of meat you may not want to follow that thinking.

I don't use sand or water in the Lang when I cook. It's just straight wood from start to finish. The Lang holds temps rock solid but does require attention. If your looking for a set it and forget it cooker, buy something else. If your looking to cater, make sure that you HD will let you use this type of cooker.

For the price, Lang gives you a lot of cooker.

I love my Langs and would buy them again.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

El Lobo
02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Man I thought I made a big step up when I went to the 48 from a cheapie backyard smoker. Mind you I don't compete, but you guys and those BIG 84's scare me.

Question (not trying to thread-jack): Going bigger than one needs, say from 60 to 84, do you find you consume unnecessary fuel when doing smaller (family-sized) cooks? Or do you have smaller cookers just for that purpose?

edit: Looking at BBQ Mafia's signature, seems he has a smaller one (a 60), and BGE's. That may have just answered my question. But curious to hear from others.

tim hawk
03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys the 48 probably might be all i need .family friends church gatherings 50 or 60 people the most don't think i 'll compete any mostly around home for friends an family.48 or 60 will be the ones i pick from is the warmers on themm worth the extra money that addition makes quite a difference in price.
thanks tim

gtsum
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
A 60 should be all you need I would think. You could cook for 50 people with the 48, but it would take some planning ahead...there is a pic of a loaded 48 floating around here somewhere where they used it for a troop cookout I think in NC...that little cooker had quite a bit of meat on it

NRA4Life
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Buy the biggest one you can afford. You can always cook a small amount of meat in the bigger one, but if you need the capacity of the bigger one and you bought the smaller one...you are SOL.

tim hawk
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
60 orig. is about all i can afford the rib box is just to much.lol

got14u
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
The craftsman ship and attention to detail is CRAP on langs....They may smoke fine but a lot of other pits smoke great also.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/DSC_00070007.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/DSC_00100010.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/DSC_00080008-1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/DSC_00090009.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/DSC_00060006.jpg

prudog
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
As always, it depends. Just a few thoughts from my experience.

1. As for wood, yes, the bigger offset smoker uses more wood. I have a plentiful supply on my land, but it takes annual attention as wood can be too green and too dry. When I say too dry, it just takes more and is harder to manage the fire (temps).

2. The spot nearest the firebox cooks hotter because of radiant heat.

3. When cooking for a big event, I don't mind tending fire all day. However, just to cook a butt for the family, it is too much time for me. My Lang 84 mostly collects dust. I prefer the insulated vertical (Baby Stump for me) with a fan controller... set it and walk away for at least 6-8 hours. Great for overnight cooks. You can cook a lot of meat with $5 charcoal.

4. If pulled pork is your goal, a 48 would do it. A 60 gives you more space - duh. However, it does not give you much latitude if you want to cook other stuff like chicken, ribs, and appetizers for 50 people.

Perhaps a pic is worth a thousand words. This cook was 10 split chickens, 8 st louis slabs, 4 butts, ABTs, fatties, and some bologna chubs. It is nice to be able to move things around and I also like having doors on both sides of the cooker to work the meat... that pretty much sold me on the 84.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_K6nRm0I-5ZU/SHt7c26TY8I/AAAAAAAAAFM/V3ucpdMY08w/s640/DSC00043.JPG

prudog
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
The craftsman ship and attention to detail is CRAP on langs....They may smoke fine but a lot of other pits smoke great also.
Are you sure that is not a clone?? I have never seen a Lang with that type of "blacksmith" construction. Every one I have seen has perfect, splatter-free welds and parts obviously cut with a computer driven torch.

got14u
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I am positive it is a Lang actually a 84 to be exact. I have also talked to a guy who went through their facility and he was not impressed at all. and he wasn't even a welder to be able to see all the other problems that jump out at someone who knows what they are looking at.Are you sure that is not a clone?? I have never seen a Lang with that type of "blacksmith" construction. Every one I have seen has perfect, splatter-free welds and parts obviously cut with a computer driven torch.

snyper77
07-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Hey got14u, I've noticed that you've mentioned this in several "Lang" topics......and I'm curious to know what offset smoker you recommend over a Lang. Thanks.