PDA

View Full Version : Chili Verde

motoeric
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Two very quick questions:

1) Have you ever used pork from a smoked pork shoulder in your chili verde?

2) Have you ever used avocados to thicken your chili verde?

If yes to either, how did it pan out?

Thanks!

Eric

Moose
02-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I definitely have used smoked pork shoulder in chile verde and it works out great, however, it's a different flavor profile than starting it in the pot with the chiles as you won't have as much meat juice in the sauce.

As for avocados to thicken, I wouldn't recommend it - you can thicken the sauce very nicely by letting it cook in the oven uncovered till it has the consistency you want.

Here's a link to The Missus' Chile Verde recipe which gets rave reviews:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93600

Hi,

Two very quick questions:

1) Have you ever used pork from a smoked pork shoulder in your chili verde?

2) Have you ever used avocados to thicken your chili verde?

If yes to either, how did it pan out?

Thanks!

Eric

Westexbbq
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
1.Yes (always good when I use it but sometimes I use just regular pork .)
2.No, use it for guacamole.

bigabyte
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
1. Yes
2. No...in fact...you should go to the penalty box for thinking that.

Hofy
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
1. YES
2. No... use refried beans to thicken it if needed.

BobBrisket
02-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes to #1. It's great for CV. You can also use instant mashed taters to thicken. Are you making it with potatoes? If so, the cubed taters and starch will help thicken as well.
Or just some flour that has been diluted in warm water. Add till thickened up.
Bob

Mister Bob
02-12-2011, 04:19 PM
1) Yes, often.
2) No I haven't, but if you do try it, I'd be curious to hear how it turned out!

bmanMA
02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
regarding #2.... i'd assume it would render to oil (not starchy, high fat protein). Not sure at what temp it renders, but I know that I have nuked a leftover taco or 10 and had this begin to happen.

I'd use another option (arrowroot, corn starch, i love some granulated corn tortilla).
But I also agree with Mister Bob... I am curious to see if you can make it work.

sbramm
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
1) have not as my wife says "don't $%*& with my green"!

2) no and would not, avacados get bitter when cooked and besides, they are better in guac!

i use a roux and brown the flour before..... awesome....

martyleach
02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I definitely have used smoked pork shoulder in chile verde and it works out great, however, it's a different flavor profile than starting it in the pot with the chiles as you won't have as much meat juice in the sauce.

As for avocados to thicken, I wouldn't recommend it - you can thicken the sauce very nicely by letting it cook in the oven uncovered till it has the consistency you want.

Here's a link to The Missus' Chile Verde recipe which gets rave reviews:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93600 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93600)

Thanks Moose for recipe link. That looks delicious!

bassbuster33
02-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I definitely have used smoked shoulder and it's good. I personally prefer smoked pork loin though.

Stealing a page from Slim's Last Chance Chili Shack in Seattle, I thicken with a masa roux. They have fantastic Chili Verde.

landarc
02-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I use pork shoulder from a smoked butt quite often.

No on the avocado. I generally have at thinner chile verde

TIMMAY
02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Thickening the chili with roux brings more depth and savory flavors to the finished meal. Experiment using a peanut butter color roux to chocolate and taste the difference. Personally I do not like cooking my roux to chocolate color. If you want to add less flavor then go more blonde color.

Off subject but I use a peanut butter color roux when I make chicken stew. Very interesting.