PDA

View Full Version : Empire State Barbecue Championship

Anchors Smokeshop
02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
The Empire State Barbecue Championship lineup has been announced at http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/.
Which events will you be competing in?

TooSaucedToPork
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Boston Hills, Brockport, Wilson and the Oink

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

bmanMA
02-12-2011, 12:10 AM
ROC! Rest of ours will be more East, new englandy.

Pelkster
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
New team this year, haven't even come up with a name yet, but we are planning on Roc City, Boston Hills, Brockport and Oinktoberfest. Still undecided on Troy or Hudson Valley. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you this year.

CBQ
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
New team this year, haven't even come up with a name yet

Big Rack Rubbers?
Rub My Meat?
Smoke Up Your Butt?

Ya, there is a reason I wasn't allowed to name the team. :heh:

Rochester, Hudson Valley, Lake Placid for sure
Brockport, Holtsville, Troy - thinking about it

Couple of non-sanctioned events this year. Probably fun, but we normally stick to KCBS events.

Muzzlebrake
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
at least 4 of the contests listed are not listed on the KCBS calender, 2 of which have links from the ESBC site to 2010 information. Are those contests going to be KCBS? Is there a possibility of other contests being added or is this the final roster?

speedrcer1
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, after I take this great class in a few weeks, I'll be ready for them all!
:wink:

CBQ
02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Sean, at least two of them aren't sanctioned from what I can see. One of the web sites says that they might be sanctioned next year, but not this year. Maybe Brian can comment?

comfrank
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I can speak for the Wilson contest, Crossborder Blues, Brews, and Que. We sent in our KCBS application very recently. We are planning on holding the contest in conjuction with a blues competition and a brewing competition. But, as a first year contest, who knows how it will all come together. I will keep everyone posted. BTW, we will be updating the website at some point.

--frank in Wilson, NY
(Doghouse Willie competition team)

The Giggler
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
New team this year, haven't even come up with a name yet, but we are planning on Roc City, Boston Hills, Brockport and Oinktoberfest. Still undecided on Troy or Hudson Valley. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you this year.

Please go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself, neighbor. :thumb:

The Giggler
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
at least 4 of the contests listed are not listed on the KCBS calender, 2 of which have links from the ESBC site to 2010 information. Are those contests going to be KCBS? Is there a possibility of other contests being added or is this the final roster?

Given the explosive growth of BBQ in NYS, we have decided to expand the Series to include contests that meet the following requirements:

1. NYS Championship with Governor's Proclamation
2. Blind Judging
3. Professionally Run and Organized
4. Score 4 categories - Chicken, Ribs, Pork, and Brisket

Doghouse Willie weighed in on Wilson. They are in the process of getting their contest going, but reached out early about their interest in the Series. Very much looking forward to this one.

New for this year, will be the scoring method. Teams will earn points based on their overall finishes, rather than using the overall accumulated score. This will level the playing field for contests whose GC scores a 630 versus a 675. A win will be a win, and a rank will be a rank. We're working on updating the website, so please stay tuned.

Muzzlebrake
02-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Given the explosive growth of BBQ in NYS, we have decided to expand the Series to include contests that meet the following requirements:

1. NYS Championship with Governor's Proclamation
2. Blind Judging
4. Score 4 categories - Chicken, Ribs, Pork, and Brisket

Doghouse Willie weighed in on Wilson. They are in the process of getting their contest going, but reached out early about their interest in the Series. Very much looking forward to this one.

New for this year, will be the scoring method. Teams will earn points based on their overall finishes, rather than using the overall accumulated score. This will level the playing field for contests whose GC scores a 630 versus a 675. A win will be a win, and a rank will be a rank. We're working on updating the website, so please stay tuned.

I had heard about the new system of scoring, it will be interesting how that works. I'm not exactley sure what you mean by a win is win and a rank is a rank. its still your top 4 scores though right?

Just kind of curious what you mean professionally run and organized. Do the events have to be run and organized by a professional promoter?

ique
02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

In NY ?

:twisted:

The Giggler
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I had heard about the new system of scoring, it will be interesting how that works. I'm not exactley sure what you mean by a win is win and a rank is a rank. its still your top 4 scores though right?

Just kind of curious what you mean professionally run and organized. Do the events have to be run and organized by a professional promoter?

This new scoring system will tighten the field. The overall score won't matter, the points earned will be based on overall rank. What we found was contests in certain parts of the state were earning higher overall scores than other parts of the state. For example, a GC down state was a 630, and a GC upstate was a 670 - that's a forty point spread for the same win.

We're still using the 4 score system. Teams are welcome to cook all the contest, but we're going to use the top 4 scores. Even as the number of contests grows, only 10% of the teams in the hunt cooked 4 contests. We want as many teams to participate as possible.

Professionally run and organized = reputable contest that's free of any shenanigans that pays out what they advertise. In other words, a well run contest.

The Giggler
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
In NY ?

Oh, come on now.... I believe you mentioned in another thread that you didn't realize that NY was such a hot bed in BBQ. For once, NY is following a trend. Although, the state wide points race seems to be catching on all over the country. We believe this Series to be a part of getting that ball rolling. :thumb:

And you get growth when cooks get involved in organizing - not talkers, but doers. :-P

Lakeside Smoker
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
This new scoring system will tighten the field. The overall score won't matter, the points earned will be based on overall rank. What we found was contests in certain parts of the state were earning higher overall scores than other parts of the state. For example, a GC down state was a 630, and a GC upstate was a 670 - that's a forty point spread for the same win.

Great job! I've been hoping the NEBS BOD would make this change to their TOY system. Last year New Hampshire's GC was a 626! At Roc City a 626 is good for 12th place.

-Mike

Muzzlebrake
02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
In NY ?

do I have to call you a M******* this early into the season. :becky:

Besides, you sure seem to like those NY contests and I think you have a fine looking lady to remind you of how found of NY you really are.

I understand all of the reasons why you adopted it. IMO I think that what it is not going going to do is take into account the caliber of the teams that got those scores. Some contest just have a higher level of competition due to the teams that compete there.Say what you want but can't compare finishing 6th at Troy last year to finishing 6th at Lake Placid. No offense to anyone but when the top 3 are a past Jack and reigning Jack champ the #2 KCBS team you would expect higher scores.

ique
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
do I have to call you a M******* this early into the season. :becky:

Now, now, It was just a joke.

Boston Hills and Roc City were definitely among the best contests I attended last season.

The Giggler
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I understand all of the reasons why you adopted it. IMO I think that what it is not going going to do is take into account the caliber of the teams that got those scores. Some contest just have a higher level of competition due to the teams that compete there.Say what you want but can't compare finishing 6th at Troy last year to finishing 6th at Lake Placid. No offense to anyone but when the top 3 are a past Jack and reigning Jack champ the #2 KCBS team you would expect higher scores.

All I can say, is give it a chance Sean. We haven't yet published the process for scoring. Please give us the opportunity to do so, and fully explain this process. Our #1 goal is to have this to be completely transparent, fair, fun, and FREE for the teams.

Just for fun, here are the spreads for the GC's last year:

Roc City - 655
Boston Hills - 670
Lake Placid - 661
Troy - 636
Brockport - 647
Hudson Valley - 656
Brethren - 630
Oink - 674

Was the GC harder to get at Battle of the BBQ Brethren with 36 teams where the GC scored 630? Or at Oinktoberfest with 51 teams where the GC scored 674? Both of those fields had high profile competitors. I'll answer that question - they are ALL hard to take GC. That's a 44 point spread for the same title.

Regardless of the number or caliber of teams in the field, a win is a win, and should count for the same amount of points regardless of the contest. Making an adjustment to the scoring system will allow us to eliminate the big swings of points in the region. The only variable will be the total number of teams in the field, and a team's individual rank in that field. The top position at each will be awarded the same number of points regardless of the competition.

All the contests have a higher level of competition. That is part of the growth we're experiencing. As it has been discussed many times in the Comp Forum, there is widespread differences in scoring due to factors of regionalism, as well as new and master judges. This new scoring system will allow those types of biases to be eliminated.

Have faith, my BBQ Brother!

The Giggler
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Boston Hills and Roc City were definitely among the best contests I attended last season.

And we appreciate the endorsement, Chris. Thanks for the kind words.

ique
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM

That is an element. Another factor though is simply the judges themselves. Who trained them? Are they new or experienced? It can be pretty random and maybe not the best way to determine a champion.

Muzzlebrake
02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

I know, I'm just bustin chops.....:becky:

Have faith, my BBQ Brother!

I have all the faith in the world, and think you guys do a great job putting this whole thing together, I am a huge fan. Please don't think I'm bashing it in any way, shape or form.

The only problem I have is that for 2 years in a row now, Lady Liberty (and that Troy pig)has made her home outside NY. Its time for some of us NY'ers to step up and keep her home! (even if the real thing is in NJ):becky:

ique
02-17-2011, 12:00 PM
The only problem I have is that for 2 years in a row now, Lady Liberty (and that Troy pig)has made her home outside NY. Its time for some of us NY'ers to step up and keep her home! (even if the real thing is in NJ):becky:

Get ready for lady liberty to be featured in another big bbq event :tape:

BBQchef33
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Get ready for lady liberty to be featured in another big bbq event :tape:

and she should be wearing 'The' Belt ? :behindsofa::bolt:

:doh:

The Giggler
02-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. She's a beautiful girl, and it would be great to see her back where she belongs! I'm in full on comp practice mode, how about you? :twisted:

Anchors Smokeshop
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I never met Chris or the I-Que team and i'm sure they're nice people, but for a fee, I can sabotage them at any of the NY events.
J/K... but it would be nice to see the Empire State BBQ Champion be a team from NY.
That's why I intend on kicking all of your pork butts this season. :cool:

Muzzlebrake
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. She's a beautiful girl, and it would be great to see her back where she belongs! I'm in full on comp practice mode, how about you? :twisted:

oh sure I train hard the hard whole offseason........actually I'm hoping that I am finally out of, plow, shovel, plow, shovel, shovel. plow. My co-workers will start to love me in about 2 weeks when I start "stretching"

I never met Chris or the I-Que team and i'm sure they're nice people, but for a fee, I can sabotage them at any of the NY events.
J/K... but it would be nice to see the Empire State BBQ Champion be a team from NY.

Now there is some of that NYer bravado Im talking about!!!! sound off brother sound off!!!! say it loud!!!:thumb:

Its about time someone started talking smack! with Sled gone and Matt biting his tongue, this place is too quiet :becky:

ique
02-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Bring it. Last year we won it with 1 Grand, 2 Reserves and a 3rd overall. All ya got to do is top that. :boxing:

Scottie
02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
He is mean... And all of his team are mean as well. :becky:

J/K...

Red Valley BBQ
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
We plan on attending:

Roc City
Boston Hills

and possibly:

Wilson
Brockport

Would love a shot at bringing Lady Liberty to PA for a year. :becky:

Oh yeah, Roc City and Boston Hills are the most team friendly events we have been to. With any luck, the only time we won't be going to these comps is if they stop holding them...or the planet implodes.:flame:

Anchors Smokeshop
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Bring it. Last year we won it with 1 Grand, 2 Reserves and a 3rd overall. All ya got to do is top that. :boxing:

How many of the ESBC events are you planning on doing this season?
If I can get my damn boxes turned in on time this season, I might have a chance. :doh:

ique
02-17-2011, 05:03 PM
How many of the ESBC events are you planning on doing this season?
If I can get my damn boxes turned in on time this season, I might have a chance. :doh:

Roc City & LP definites. Got a conflict with Boston Hills so wont make it. Waiting to see the details on the Albany event.

The Giggler
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Always a pleasure having the guys from Pithole, PA - Sean! :becky:

I gotta say this, and as an Ohio boy living in "Upstate" NY, I'm sure I'm going to take some heat. While I would love to see the ESBCS come home to NY, its not a bad thing that two very high profile out of state teams have held her in honor. Think about it guys - a couple years back we had Oink, then Hudson Valley. The growth has been tremendous, and the visibility that has been generated by all the SMACK and comraderie surrounding the Series the past two years, has brought national awareness to our State. I'm proud to be a part of the growth, and wish everyone all the best in their quest for Lady Liberty. :thumb:

Muzzlebrake
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Always a pleasure having the guys from Pithole, PA - Sean! :becky:

I gotta say this, and as an Ohio boy living in "Upstate" NY, I'm sure I'm going to take some heat. While I would love to see the ESBCS come home to NY, its not a bad thing that two very high profile out of state teams have held her in honor. Think about it guys - a couple years back we had Oink, then Hudson Valley. The growth has been tremendous, and the visibility that has been generated by all the SMACK and comraderie surrounding the Series the past two years, has brought national awareness to our State. I'm proud to be a part of the growth, and wish everyone all the best in their quest for Lady Liberty. :thumb:

blah, blah, blah, blah, spoken like a true foreigner! LOL Dude I am trying to ramp up the energy from some of these NY teams, don't be peeing on my parade!!:becky:

You do bring up a very good point though Mike, and one that I hope some of my fellow NYers will take to heart. I'm a big fan of the ESBCS and wish that more NY teams would make it one of the focal points for thier season. I have heard all sorts of excuses about traveling, about how it should be for NY teams not teams from anywhere, and the number of the contests being held in Western NY etc etc. This year looks like there should be enough contests spread across the state that everyone can get 4 in. Don't like that teams from another state have won, step up and win it! If its not too far for teams from KC or MA it shouldn't be too far for teams from NY. As a wise man once said, "guess thats why trailers have wheels".

Its time for some teams from NY to step up to the plate! Trust me, the Lady Liberty Trophy will look good in your house!

Good luck everyone!

TooSaucedToPork
02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
I think Lady Liberty should be here in Buffalo...on my mantle

Neil

Jorge
02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Its time for some teams from NY to step up to the plate! Trust me, the Lady Liberty Trophy will look good in your house!

Good luck everyone!

[Gas spigot] The first one, that's in Kansas, really completes the room. [/Gas spigot]:twisted:

CBQ
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Roc City has a team from Florida in the event, so the NY teams can't really complain about the drive.

ESBCS requires you to do at least four contests in NY to have a shot, at least under the old scoring system. Only 20 of the 205 teams that entered ESBCS events did four or more events last year. Half of those 20 are NY teams, and only 1 of the top 5 teams were from NY.

The Giggler
02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
ESBCS requires you to do at least four contests in NY to have a shot, at least under the old scoring system. Only 20 of the 205 teams that entered ESBCS events did four or more events last year. Half of those 20 are NY teams, and only 1 of the top 5 teams were from NY.

Well said, thanks for adding that! Teams will still need to cook 4 contests to contend. Competition BBQ is largely regional. With all the contests spread out in the State, we should have more teams in the hunt this year. The new points system will be exciting too. Stay tuned!

Muzzlebrake
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
[Gas spigot] The first one, that's in Kansas, really completes the room. [/Gas spigot]:twisted:

it sure does! I may actually be the only person that has seen both Ladies in their new homes. I have to say she looks better in KU then in Red Sox gear :becky:
Hopefully this year she'll be wearing pinstripes or Big Blue swag!:thumb:

lunchlady
02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
it sure does! I may actually be the only person that has seen both Ladies in their new homes. I have to say she looks better in KU then in Red Sox gear :becky:
Hopefully this year she'll be wearing pinstripes or Big Blue swag!:thumb:

OUCH! :doh:

Pelkster
02-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Please go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself, neighbor. :thumb:

Done.

goodsmokebbq
02-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Roc City has a team from Florida in the event, so the NY teams can't really complain about the drive.

Ya, but 6 - 10 were all NY!!

She will be coming home... :cool::cool::cool: [on a mission mod]

HandsomeSwede
02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Doing 4 this year to try and get in the running. Roc City, Boston, Lake Placid, Oink, Brockport.

Anchors Smokeshop
02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I think we've decided on Willie-Pallooza, Roc City Ribfest, Battle of the BBQ Brethren and Hudson Valley Ribfest.

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
How come the standings take so long to be updated?

Muzzlebrake
08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya, but 6 - 10 were all NY!!

She will be coming home... :cool::cool::cool: [on a mission mod]

looks like oyu are well on your way!

goodsmokebbq
08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
How come the standings take so long to be updated?

Still putting away the A1 bottle...

Try to get it up by tomorrow.

Muzzlebrake
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks, not that it will matter much, but some of us are on contest 5 already

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Still putting away the A1 bottle...

Congrats on th gc and the 1st place a-1 slathered brisket

goodsmokebbq
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats on th gc and the 1st place a-1 slathered brisket

Thanks!

goodsmokebbq
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Results updated:

http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/rankings/2011-2/

1 Good Smoke BBQ
2 Buckner Brothers Barbequ
3 IQUE
4 ButtHutt Bar-B-Que
5 Big Guns BBQ
6 Yabba Dabba Que!
7 ZBQ
8 Buffalo Meatheads
9 Q'n Canucks
10 Jacked Up BBQ
(http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/rankings/2011-2/)

HarleyGirl14226
08-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I know, I'm just bustin chops.....:becky:

How about a team originally from JERSEY now living in NY? Would that make it better?

Muzzlebrake
08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
How about a team originally from JERSEY now living in NY? Would that make it better?

would be poetic justice....:rockon:

I choked this year, but I really want to see Victor in a Strahan jersey and Yankees hat......it's my quest

ique
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Good Smoke,you guys are Pats fans right? I'm not sure the stickers will come off of lady liberty... :-D

HarleyGirl14226
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
would be poetic justice....:rockon:

I choked this year, but I really want to see Victor in a Strahan jersey and Yankees hat......it's my quest
Winning Victor would be a BIG dream... And I would have to make sure Kevin did not get ahold of him - because he just might put a 'gasp' cowboys jersey on him.
Blasphemy. I think we can all agree that would just be wrong.

Lakeside Smoker
08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
... but I really want to see Victor in a Strahan jersey and Yankees hat......it's my quest

This Victor?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/DSC_0260.jpg

boogiesnap
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
OMG, that is sweet!

goodsmokebbq
08-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Good Smoke,you guys are Pats fans right? I'm not sure the stickers will come off of lady liberty... :-D

Ya, HUGE Pats fans :crazy: :becky:

Muzzlebrake
08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
This Victor?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/DSC_0260.jpg

yup that's him, see the sad look on his face? He does come from that wierd spot in NY where there are a lot of Sox/Giants fans.......

Dougie took care of Chris and I choked this year but don't worry, you are on my short list of "people to get drunk" for next year!

goodsmokebbq
08-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Up to date...

1 Good Smoke BBQ
2 IQUE
3 Jacked Up BBQ
4 Buckner Brothers Barbequ
5 Buffalo Meatheads
6 Diva Q
7 Yabba Dabba Que!
8 ButtHutt Bar-B-Que
9 ZBQ
10 Big Guns BBQ

Full results: http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/

HVRibFest
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Let's see at Hudson Valley RibFest who takes or keeps the lead...:heh:
Still got room for teams :wink:

goodsmokebbq
09-25-2011, 10:39 AM
What a great year for BBQ in NY state!! 12 comps with 250 teams!!

2011 Empire State Barbecue Championship Series champion: Good Smoke BBQ!!

Full Results: http://empirestatebbqchampionship.com/rankings/2011-2/

Lady liberty is coming home...

HarleyGirl14226
09-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Congrats Good Smoke!
:clap2:
:rockon:

Muzzlebrake
09-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Congrats Good Smoke! Job well done!

Pelkster
09-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Great job Good Smoke! What a year!

jcpetro97
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
well done good smoke! congratulations are definitely in order here....