PDA

View Full Version : Roadside sales????

jbrodgers
02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I was just wondering how many of y'all do roadside sale ( if any), and what your history/experience with them has been? Has it been profitable? on average, how may persons did/do you serve (broken down by day of week, ie. Mon/Tue/Wed...etc.)? Are these sales from a true "roadside lot" or from a store parking lot?... more questions to come, but I will just start w/ these.
I ask these cause Im tryin to put together a proforma package for my business plan, and am doing the research.
If you are in business, and dont count me as cometition in south Louisiana, would you be willing to share your proformas, and P&L statements with me ( I hope that is not asking too much). You can send them to my email in my profile if you wish.
JR

Bbq Bubba
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
May I ask why you are doing a business plan to sell roadside BBQ?

jbrodgers
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Bubba- So I can present it for funding...

jbrodgers
02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Also, the roadside stand is just a catalist and money maker for a brick and mortar, possibly more. The RS will also help to popularize my "brand" to help drive trafic to a brick/mortar

Scott_nra
02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I get it. Around here some of the Lowes home centers have a Dominics sub trailer out front. The smell off grilling peppers and onions is very attractive.

I know this, when it first started there were lines at those things all the time. After a while, the novelty kinda wore off and I don't think they do near as well as they used too. They seem to do better on weekends and now days I'm used to seeing one or two folks there at any given time and about 6-12 on weekends at any given time.

I only offer this because I am one of those nuts that seems to be in a home center at least once a week or so and notice such things. Just thought I'd toss it out to you for consideration.

RICK Allen
02-11-2011, 06:59 PM
So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ? Why would someone want to invest in something you haven't used your own money in to, start and become a business, I have been in business for 25 yrs bin broke at least 4 or 5 times but still will not give up the farm not to have to work for anybody Let alone have to convince someone to buy a share of my dream, P.S. thru these hard times I'm broke again

Bbq Bubba
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ? Why would someone want to invest in something you haven't used your own money in to, start and become a business, I have been in business for 25 yrs bin broke at least 4 or 5 times but still will not give up the farm not to have to work for anybody Let alone have to convince someone to buy a share of my dream, P.S. thru these hard times I'm broke again

That was going to be my reply post.

There aint a bank in the world that will fund a roadside stand, thus i was wondering why waste the time doing a plan.
I started with my own money and invested in myself and did fine. Had i kept at it, i could have gotten a loan on the business i had built.

IMPOSSIBLE to project numbers on that. To many factors.
Meat prices, weather, location, what if nobody likes your food?

RICK Allen
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry didn't mean to be harsh or mean , If you want to do this your pretty much on your , own me I would say go for it if thats what you want, the hardest thing is for you to do is convince yourself, and once that hurdle is overcome then it is just 12 hr. 7 day a week life style and, eating leftovers , Trust me it's great, oh yea, theres no retirement plan lol

jbrodgers
02-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks to both of you for your opinions. Ya see, I live paycheck to paycheck and w/ that in mind... have no extra "fluid" income to invest in the 100% option you are thinking of. I have my 20% saved or available to me, just not 100%. I do have a couple of micro-loans lined up that will get me to my starting point (along w/ my presonal sources).
You see, the 2 micro-lenders are asking for the business plan/projected proformas. I do thank you for your concern though. I do understand the hrs involved as well as my family. I have been in FS for over 19 years, I know the life, I know the struggles.

The point of my post is not whether anyone agrees to my need of a business/financial/marketing plan for a RSS, but rather to those who ARE doing it, if they would be willing to share with me, the numbers (on average) of how many RSS walk up sales they experience per day of the week, so I can do what I have to do to appease these investors. Thats all Im looking for.
As for the Lowes, I can understand why the #s have decreased... they had to raise their prices on their items to accomodate the fees charged by the company who contracts them to set up at Lowes... as well as the economy helping to make matters worse.
So with all that in mind, please accept my appologies if I may have seemed rude in my response.
JR

jbrodgers
02-12-2011, 08:09 AM
So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ?

Absolutely right... I have no sales... I am not in business yet, thus my original question/post.

getyourrubonbbq
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM
If you're going to be using an approved mobile kitchen/catering trailer I'd be glad to help out with that. Shoot me over the specs if you'd like and we can get you a quote for your business plan.

jbrodgers
02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you Mr Stephens, but my trailer plans and construction are already lined up.

I am more looking for numbers of average foot trafic that operators have experience at their sites (excluding fairs/events).

But thanks for the offer anyway.

JR

getyourrubonbbq
02-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Good luck with it JR, I hope it's successful for you.

jbrink01
02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I started with my home smoker at a friends convenience store and worked under his HD permit. Paid cash for upgrades as I went. 5 years later I have a nice shop and good business. Did I mention cash? I have NO debt, but went SLOW.......as far as traffic goes, we still roadside it 26 days a year between caterings. We cook 10 butts, 14 brisket, 12 slabs, 40 pork steaks, 12 chickens, brats, hot dogs and sides. We sell out.

Mad About Que
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
i know a few of the guys around here that do that. the one that seems most "successful" is there in the same place, rain or shine every week from 10 til 3, 3 days a week. says he lives well on that. he might also be a billionaire thats bored. we set up a few times on a buddys shed lot about 1/2 mile from a flea market. did well there. until the health department stopped by during the week to ask about the bbq deal on the weekends.. we stopped. we were making about 300 after costs on a saturday. pretty good for 6 hours or so. $4 sammies, $6 plates.. sauce and bulk for sale etc.. hauled the smoker, pop up and a coulple tables. the plan was to turn on of the buildings into a "resturaunt" sorta. knew at some point the HD was gonna cause issues. it was prolly some taco vendor at the flea market that ratted us out.. good luck..!!

chachahut
02-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Did Saturdays in our front yard last summer while re-building after the original Hut burned down (the week before Memorial Day no less). Advertised in the local paper, set up signs on the major roads, used Facebook, our website & email newsletter to get the word out. Ran from noon until 5PM or sold out. We were about 1/2 mile outside of town on a road that goes to Plattekill Mountain (big for mountain bikers).

Averaged about 20 - 30 sales across out menu - sandwiches, platters, bulk, feasts, sides, etc. Usually cooked 8 butts, 6 briskets, 8 racks & 4 turkey breasts with 20 pounds mac & cheese, 15 pounds BBQ beans, 5 pounds Mustard Slaw & 5 pounds sweet & sour slaw. Sold out most weekends before end time. On July 4th, we sold out in three hours.

Would probably have had even better traffic in a downtown location. We live in the Catskills - fairly rural. Did a 10x10 pop up for a community day in front of our new location & had our biggest day ever in 3 hours selling nothing but sandwiches.

Then again - road side is a real pain. Cook - set up - serve - tear down - repeat. We only did Saturdays (HD restrictions as we did not have a commercial kitchen) but that was enough to tell me it's not for me. I'll stick with my little take out joint. Though - now that I think about it - overhead is definitely lower in roadside.

PM me if you'd like a few number from the middle of the Catskills.

cheers,

txschutte
02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Please take note that the guys that responded above that are STILL COOKING ARE SUCCESSFUL are FULLY LEGAL BUSINESSES.

jbrodgers
02-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks txchutte,
I recognize that fact and because of that, the couple of, dare I say "nay-sayers", appear to want to limit the business competition, or detract from it for that matter, even though we may be several hundred miles apart.
I know that business is cutthroat, and competitive, I was in it for 19 years. My congrats to their success. And a heartfelt thank you to those who do offer their well wishes and information.
Please tell me, do you think I will not be "fully legal"? "unsuccessful"? And not in business very long? If so, why?

JR

txschutte
02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I don't know you. I don't know your motives. I do know a bit about the business, though. I have been cut throated by some that won't go legal, and hurt my business. The only competition that aggravates me is the competition that won't play on an even field. My comment was more for the poster that openly stated that he WASN'T Legal.

I wish you nothing but luck and good fortune in your endeavors.

jbrodgers
02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll leave that for you and the gentleman to disscuss...
Thank you for the encouragement... Now, would would you consider shareing some number info? I thought it would be worth the asking, anyways.
JR

txschutte
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
My numbers are tainted. I only have done vending on Fri and Sats. Also I am the only one that vended at all for BBQ within 50 miles. The money was excellent, I could sell out almost every night barring rain. I usually smoked 6 butts per day and about 10 racks. Bulk sales made up a big part of my numbers.

M271
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I have a roadside BBQ Trailer I built myself. Went to the HD got all the info and worked with them. We are legit and running for 2 years now. Six days a week. We have a tax permit and charge tax on each sale. I put in credit card machine and that increased my sales to. This is all I do for a living and it has worked well for me. So good luck on yours if go into it. If I can help in anyway send me a message.

txschutte
02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Have the CC sales performed enough to offset the cost of a CC system? (Sorry to Hijack)

Bbq Bubba
02-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I have a roadside BBQ Trailer I built myself. Went to the HD got all the info and worked with them. We are legit and running for 2 years now. Six days a week. We have a tax permit and charge tax on each sale. I put in credit card machine and that increased my sales to. This is all I do for a living and it has worked well for me. So good luck on yours if go into it. If I can help in anyway send me a message.

Ummm....we'll need pics of that. :thumb:

jbrodgers
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
no problem, I'd like to know the answer too.
JR

Bbq Bubba
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I opened M thru F, 10 to 5. Saturdays were for catering and Sunday's were market vending.
I set myself a modest goal of $500 in sales a day. Took me 3 weeks to hit those numbers. My market spot was a guaranteed sellout. My weekly spot went up and down with the weather with absolutely NO consistency.
At the end of the season I showed a profit.

I loved this job & wish you all the luck. Gladly answer any questions ya have. :thumb:

M271
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Here ya go

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022364.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022367.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022368.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022376.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022377.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/theroo/S4022378.jpg

M271
02-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Have the CC sales performed enough to offset the cost of a CC system? (Sorry to Hijack)
Yes they have sales are up around 150 a week and that was sales I was missing.. I have a wirless setup works great,

jbrodgers
02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
no problem, I'd like to know the answer too.
JR

Was meant in regards to the Credit Card machine comment
JR

jbrodgers
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
M271-
Does your HD have any issues w/ using a hoursehold refrigerator vs. an NSF approved one? Not meaning to pick, just curious. I know some state HD's would. I know I can get household alot cheaper, and if I could do it I would too.
Thanks for the pics BTW.
JR

M271
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
no problem at all with that as long as it hold temp below 40

Bbq Bubba
02-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Most HDs will not allow a non NSF refrigerator, nor would I recommend using one.

You can pick up a good unit for $1200, they are made to easily clean and built to keep large amounts of food cold.

YMMV

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 07:22 AM
IMHO, if a home refer can keep product to proper temp (be it cold or frozed), and can be easily cleaned, I would have no problems w/ using one. I might have to get more than one for capacity sake, but hey, if I can pick up 2 for the price of half of a commercial unit... AND, I can replace/repair, easier/cheaper if needed. Commercial grade isn't always better I have found.
BUT... I know that some folks in some states are only supposed to use NSF refers/freezers... sounds like big govt kick back from the NSF or the commercial manufacturers to me
HOWEVER... I think it would be wise to say, that IF I plan on doing gigs out of state and that state's (whatever it may be) HD requires ONLY NSF w/o exception... then perhaps I should got to the higher level and get the NSF models...just in case...

thillin
02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
In my county it must be commercial fridge/freezer. They are designed to have quicker recovery from when the doors are opened often as well as easier to clean as per my HD inspector.

If price is an issue, there are other options than the $1200 units. I picked up a used merchandiser cooler. The kind they have the bottled soft drinks by the registers at the grocery store with the glass door. They are commercial and my HD instpector approves them. I have $240 invested in mine. I just need another shelf or 2.

PorkQPine
02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Going into debt to start a catering business or restaurant when you have no experience is guaranteed to be a loser. Your 'micro' lenders will end up losing and I bet they are relatives so you will not only lose their money but also their friendship. Start with what you can fund yourself and do catering jobs until you build up a following, save your profits and reinvest in the business until you can fund a larger operation.

smoke it if ya got it
02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Roadside just doesent have enough customers. Try and get into small fairs and other local events, this will give you confidence in your product and let you monkey around with pricing and profit margins. For my business I need at least 100 sales to make it worth my time and effort. I just started last year and did 3 farmers markets a week. Weather is by far the biggest factor in sales. Even with 3 small markets I probably averaged around $500.00 profit a week. This year more fairs and big events will hopefully increase profits.

Bamabuzzard
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I think I've come to believe that this bold statement IS THE foundation and ticket to (outside of your food being good to begin with) building a successful BBQ business.

I do not own a BBQ business myself, nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn. But I know three people who are and two of the three are successful and the other one has been out of business and buried in debt for four years now.

The two successful ones, started out with catering small jobs, then got into concession/vending, built a "clientele" and step by step got to the point where they opened up a small restaurant that has now turned into a not so small.

The other guy dove head first into the deep end of the pool. Took out a ton in loans, spent a ton on overhead with fancy neon lights, beautiful decor in and outside the restaurant and within two years went out of business.

Going into debt to start a catering business or restaurant when you have no experience is guaranteed to be a loser. Your 'micro' lenders will end up losing and I bet they are relatives so you will not only lose their money but also their friendship. Start with what you can fund yourself and do catering jobs until you build up a following, save your profits and reinvest in the business until you can fund a larger operation.

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice porkqpine...
However, I do have experience 19 yrs of food services and 7 of those as Exec Chef. I agree to the not getting in debt and am doin everything I possibly can to lower what debt I may incure. As far as the micro-lenders... they are not Friends or family, they are in fact legit micro lenders recomended by SBA Louisiana.

Mr. "Smoke it"... if roadside doesnt have enough customers, perhaps you may be on the wrong road. This is where detailed research comes in for all aspects of this craft. Thus my purpose for being here... research. I look for the numbers, gather the data (if its shared), then make my forecast/decision.

I know there are many "Q"ers out there who make a decent living working roadside/corners... unless they just really like spendin $$ on product they dont sell, or a hobby that brings in enough $$ for that nights beer run, or are self made wealthy and need something to do to keep from gettin board... then they must be makin at least some $$... or are just REALLY hard up for punishment. Food services are time-taxing and in general, not an easy life, but ya gotta absolutely LOVE what ya do.

We all have different opinions on if this type of venture will work, probably based on one experiece or another, some good some bad, and some just dont want the competition... no matter where they live... it is a cutthroat business, unfortunately.

Fortunately... there are some who make a decent living, love the customers, have good (and bad) experiences, love the comoradery amongst other Qers, and have general well wishes for their close competitors, and ARE willing to help with advice to ther distant "brothers in smoke"

Confidence in my product... go it! This aint my first gig, but it is my first rig on my own.

JR

raco232
02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
It sounds like you know all about the business........because you have done your research. Then, why are you asking about how many customers you will be having during your hours. Sounds like it will depend on your location, quality of food and your attitude towards the customers. Customers will pick up on attitude towards them quicker than flies on crap!

RICK Allen
02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
It sounds like you know all about the business........because you have done your research. Then, why are you asking about how many customers you will be having during your hours. Sounds like it will depend on your location, quality of food and your attitude towards the customers. Customers will pick up on attitude towards them quicker than flies on crap!
How true

Bamabuzzard
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I think it would be hard to get any reliable information based on stats and financial figures from businesses that are in a different region. There might be someone giving figures that is in a market that bbq isn't as high in demand or "as popular", due to cultural influences. So to me the information and research needs to be relatively regional. It seems that would render more realistic anticipated results.

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Nice point raco- let me explain
I can go to research firms, nat rest assn, SBA, and state specific industr guides and get general numbers of restaurants that include fast food, fast casual, white cloth etc., and some of that info is only for sale or for members only. In my attempting to keep my budget down (not neccesarily debt free), I choose to bypass some of these pay sources, and ask the folks here directly (or indirectly). You see, even though these numbers are available for a fee, they wont specifically break down BBQ into roadside stands/trialers, fairs/festivals, take-out Q, or full fleged sit down joints, or catering only. I am interested in the nubers (or average numbers) of covers (people eating @ a particular place) seen on average, by day of week, that Q vendors have experienced... this includes legal, legit, HD inspected trucks/trailers/huts, AND those not so legit/legal or inspected- its just the numbers Im lookin fer. Its not like I'm asking for trade secret, trademarked, patented, copyrighted recipes, or plannin on parking next next to them or across the street. just foot numbers/trafic.

Know all about the business...no. I'm sorry, Ididnt mean to sound arrogent... and Im STILL doin my research. I dont presume to know how many customers I will have, but I can get a fair average of PROJECTED possibilities, using various sources, and use those averages to customize my percentages to the traffic counts at my planned location, based off of city traffic counts for the intersection... THEN I will use those nubers to determine 1. Is this a good location 2. Are the projected numbers in MY favor for possible proffit?

Remeber... there is a difference in projected, assumed, actual. Projected uses collected data, assumed is just a guess, and actual comes after the projections and guessing. where your "actual" comes out could be effected by the first two. I prefer to get my pro-forma as close as I can. Even if I do not use any financial institution for funding, the data still helps me in my decission making (and that includes a business plan...I like to see/plan my goals in B/W).

Know all about THIS business??... no not all, but give it time... hee hee:-D

bobaftt
02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I get it. Around here some of the Lowes home centers have a Dominics sub trailer out front. The smell off grilling peppers and onions is very attractive.

I know this, when it first started there were lines at those things all the time. After a while, the novelty kinda wore off and I don't think they do near as well as they used too. They seem to do better on weekends and now days I'm used to seeing one or two folks there at any given time and about 6-12 on weekends at any given time.

I only offer this because I am one of those nuts that seems to be in a home center at least once a week or so and notice such things. Just thought I'd toss it out to you for consideration.

I am from Richmond and I miss those little trailers. Thanks for the reminder of home!

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Bama-
That makes perfectly good sence to me too... however, if I were in Sherevport rather than Lafayette, would I be your competition? Even now... If you bid a catering and I bid the same catering say, halfway between me and you... am Im still in your region, and would I still not be competition?
Therefore, I can take the numbers I greatfully receive...nation wide and come up with a fair national average, and then tweek that to area specific.

BUT... if you have a way to do that, then Im all ears. :help:

RICK Allen
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
We have been doing business in the same town in Canada, for the past 15 yrs. and in the food business for the past 27. One constantly has to reinvent them selves to try and keep business up, as for competition, I say the more the better, We were the first to bring BBq into our town now there is 4. We run a catering hot truck with our pit so we go to them. our daily sales are at 300 aday gross now when we had an economey they where a 1000, For the truck and pit it is a 130000.00 dollar investment, fuel is 100.00 aday, and then there is the fees, and maintenance on top, thank god special event time is nearing.I believe everyone here is only trying to give constructive advice, and are not worried about competition . At least once a day some one intimates what a lucrative business this must be, keeping up beat and friendly takes a lot of fortitude, with that said even if I was rich I would still do it, but then we break a few rules as, my wife is my partner and we don't have any employees, we are up at 4:30 every morning and finish at about 6;00, and are still together and civil to each other I would love to give you more figures than I already did, but with steady customers here you give credit or lose them to someone who will, the only way we have any handle on what we do is at tax time cause it flutuates so much. sorry for being long winded but like I said before if this is what you want to do.DO IT.

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks Rick for your candor. I hope you and your wife all the best, and pray that this economy gets better for all of us.
I dont take folks advice as destructive, rathe I DO take it constructively, and that is why I also forbare those who second guess me or my motives. Ill give anyone a chance and do my best to explain myself to them if asked appropriately, not saying that you are one of them. But if slammed I will come back hard but fair. Like said... constructive critisizm and questions are one thing, but anything else is a detraction to the thread.
Im sur efor some it IS lucritive and for others its a "by the skin of our teeth" endeavor. I have to realize that some do well, some dont... some are real and some are fakes... can I tell who's who? No. not really... so I have to take these folks here at face value, until they or someone else proves otherwise, but even the best backyarder will have some valuable advice... I guess its all how you look at it... call it the "zen of the Q"

JR
God Bless, good luck
JR

Bamabuzzard
02-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Depending on how much "wiggle room" (financially) you have to be "off" in your numbers, will depend on whether taking "averages" from vastly different regions and then making a "fair" estimate of that average is a big risk or not. I don't know how much money these micro lenders are willing to put up. But if the financing is "tight" then your fair estimates of averages better be dang close or you could very well find yourself leveraged in debt pretty quick or having to deal with some ticked off investors.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but if it was me. I'd first guage the demand of bbq in my area. This can be attained by looking around. Are there a lot of Q restaurants in Lafayette? If not then why not? What's the "word on the street" by the natives? Do you ever hear people saying "Man, I wish we had more bbq places to pick from 'round here." If there's no demand is your product good enough to create one? Is BBQ a part of the culture around there? There's a lot of non-financial information that in many ways may be more accurate and more reliable than taking averages of markets in totally different regions.

Living in Shreveport for 15 years I know that BBQ is big enough here that we've got numerous Q restaurants and all do very well. Now, you could look at that and say "It sounds like the market is flooded with BBQ restaurants" or you could look at it as "There's obviously a demand so how can I cut in to the demand with my business?"

I'd just be very leery of basing my numbers off of an average that consist of businesses' performance in different regions and markets, then a fair estimate of that average to get a local (which is more specific) estimate.

Bama-
That makes perfectly good sence to me too... however, if I were in Sherevport rather than Lafayette, would I be your competition? Even now... If you bid a catering and I bid the same catering say, halfway between me and you... am Im still in your region, and would I still not be competition?
Therefore, I can take the numbers I greatfully receive...nation wide and come up with a fair national average, and then tweek that to area specific.

BUT... if you have a way to do that, then Im all ears. :help:

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Fair enough Bama, and good points all.
I do belive the market to be not overly saturated, I found many Q joints around here, but quite frankly, none have actually been to my taste (save for one).
Ill make my Q and sauce on a rig offshore several times and on several rigs, and sorta used that as some P&D research... about 90% of the folks who ate my Q said they loved it and would drive some distances to get it if I had a place to sell it... Even thought about pre-packaging it and putting it in stores... tooooo costly... nuf said on that :wink:,,,
I once lived in a town in Missouri that had a population of 5K and had 4 places to buy pizza. Ilke you said, there was a demand for it... BBQ on the otherhand... had nowhere to get any unless you drove 35 miles away, and that was to a chain Q joint. Suddenly 2 Q joints popped up in this town of 5K, within 2-3 months... less than 6 months later... one was closed, and the other quit sellin Q and stayed a bar... go figure. I ate at both of them and neither one was very good, as well as other observations... They did try to do too much, too expensively, too fast... I learned just from those observations. The Q trailrs I did see makin $$ hand over fist were the ones who were coming IN for fairs, fete's, and festivals. A very valuable tool it was. Can give specifics on who, how and where if you PM me.
JR

Bamabuzzard
02-14-2011, 02:43 PM
To be fair I am an accountant by trade. So I will fall on the very conservative side of any process of getting projections, estimates etc. I'll scrutinize anything. :becky:

Fair enough Bama, and good points all.
I do belive the market to be not overly saturated, I found many Q joints around here, but quite frankly, none have actually been to my taste (save for one).
Ill make my Q and sauce on a rig offshore several times and on several rigs, and sorta used that as some P&D research... about 90% of the folks who ate my Q said they loved it and would drive some distances to get it if I had a place to sell it... Even thought about pre-packaging it and putting it in stores... tooooo costly... nuf said on that :wink:,,,
I once lived in a town in Missouri that had a population of 5K and had 4 places to buy pizza. Ilke you said, there was a demand for it... BBQ on the otherhand... had nowhere to get any unless you drove 35 miles away, and that was to a chain Q joint. Suddenly 2 Q joints popped up in this town of 5K, within 2-3 months... less than 6 months later... one was closed, and the other quit sellin Q and stayed a bar... go figure. I ate at both of them and neither one was very good, as well as other observations... They did try to do too much, too expensively, too fast... I learned just from those observations. The Q trailrs I did see makin $$ hand over fist were the ones who were coming IN for fairs, fete's, and festivals. A very valuable tool it was. Can give specifics on who, how and where if you PM me.
JR

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
LOL Bama---
I guess you would then, huh? Then you could be a very valuable ally (sp?) when it comes to projections and proformas. What say I bat a few things around with you based on some of my findings and numbers... what would your fee be? Im sure you dont do this for free for just anybody.

JR

Bamabuzzard
02-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I get too much information from this site for free I wouldn't dare charge another brethren for a little help. Shoot me some figures (via PM) when you're ready and I'll look at them. No charge. :thumb:

LOL Bama---
I guess you would then, huh? Then you could be a very valuable ally (sp?) when it comes to projections and proformas. What say I bat a few things around with you based on some of my findings and numbers... what would your fee be? Im sure you dont do this for free for just anybody.

JR

hpdrifter
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I am really glad I found this thread...

I too am debating if and how I should get into the sales business, but haven't done the research yet that JR has. I am naive enough to think that good product+great people skills/customer service+high demand+location flexibility+variety of business (special event vending,catering, partnership with restaurant once a week) would ensure at least moderate success. I have a pretty good network/word of mouth base built up, and was hoping to capitalize on that.

I live in Las Vegas, and there is a definite demand for great barbecue. The food truck thing is going crazy here, but no barbecue. The local rag, The Las Vegas Weekly, when doing a big cover story/writeup on the food truck phenom, even listed barbecue as one of the types of food that is desperately needed and wanted. While I really want to have an open air/accessible setup (i.e. a big Lang, Gator, or Pitmaker rig), it seems that regardless of that, the market is here. I've just always had a vision of operating at the same level as the people, with a visually engaging setup, as opposed to being in an enclosed trailer (but that is another story).

I have no experience whatsoever in this business. I am just an avid backyard cooker, I have been a waiter for around 8 years in the same local cafe/wine bar, and I have a degree in Landscape Architecture (which I only mention because I have a certain perspective on "placemaking" and the methodology of responding to the needs and behavioral habits of people). Strangely enough, I was thinking of writing an article on using barbecue as a placemaking device, but that is another story as well.

Sorry to ramble, I don't mean to hijack, I guess I am just coming to realize that my vision of taking out a big loan to get a rig built, and all the other extras that inevitably will go along with it, might not be the best idea. There seems to be a consensus here to start small, and take it easy. It seems to be a catch 21 though, because the health department requires so many things, the menu that one might be planning will require others (i.e. two different cookers on rig for different temps and cook times, santa maria setup for doing tri tip and other stuff, burners/griddle), starting with a WSM is impossible. I have no idea what the earning potential of this business is, or what typical profit margins are.

As I am going along I realize that I am drifting away from JR's initial post. I do apologize. I will stop here and just thank everyone for what I've read so far. I might have to simplify my vision and just get a Lang 84 widebody deluxe and see where that takes me. Would still have to finance it :/

Greg

RICK Allen
02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, either if I knew how to post pics I would but, If you go to Lonestar custom pits, and look at there walk on Veder pit that is me and my baby, the reason I'm saying this cause this at a Fair has me about maxed per day for cooking along side my catering truck, sad to say but think Tom is no longer in business

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Thats it... Im movin to Vegas...........................................ju st kiddiing

NO problem for the hijacking(s). If its info you need, then there are MANY folks here that are more than willing to help in whatever ways they can or are able to.

Good Luck to ya
JR

jbrodgers
02-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks Bama... your a saint.
... even though you are an Auburn fan:crazy:

geaux Tigers!! :clap2:

M271
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
This is a good thread..I will say this I have been very lucky with my homemade rig. I have great location very busy highway at a 4way intersection with lakes on three sides of me. Now let me say this....If i had went and bought a 100k custom rig...I WOULD HAVE FAILED. My overhead is very low. And please dont think you go out and open 10 to 6 and make it,, There is alot more to it that just opening up and going to work. I go in at 4:AM till 6:PM..But I sell breakfast to...(good money there to)..I called jbrodgers this morning and we talk for awhile he sounded to me like he knows what he is getting into...Best thing I can tell anyone wanting to try this is to watch the overhead..

PorkQPine
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
This is a good thread..I will say this I have been very lucky with my homemade rig. I have great location very busy highway at a 4way intersection with lakes on three sides of me. Now let me say this....If i had went and bought a 100k custom rig...I WOULD HAVE FAILED. My overhead is very low. And please dont think you go out and open 10 to 6 and make it,, There is alot more to it that just opening up and going to work. I go in at 4:AM till 6:PM..But I sell breakfast to...(good money there to)..I called jbrodgers this morning and we talk for awhile he sounded to me like he knows what he is getting into...Best thing I can tell anyone wanting to try this is to watch the overhead..

Great advice, AMEN.

MuggerzBBQ
09-30-2015, 11:53 AM
If anyone is still involved in this thread, I'm starting up a road side bbq in Loudoun county VA, any info or advice would be great

landarc
09-30-2015, 11:58 AM
the best way to get advice is to ask questions, lots of guys here either started or are still doing roadside vending

Trailer Trash
09-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Mugger, I've just read through this old thread and am hoping you can revive it. I am a lurking bystander only and cannot afford to get into the business. I live vicariously thru landarc and the rest of the fellows here as they are doing what they love (I hope)... Please ASK the questions so I can stay tuned in...