PDA

View Full Version : OK...need some assistance here...

417bullelk
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
I am currently planning to cook 2 or 3 things in the bandera on Tuesday...

First is a 3# Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast

Second is a 3# Elk Chuck Roast

Possibly third will be a fatty from some Jalepeno/Cheddar brats that I will put a rub on an maybe try the 3-2-1 thing.

I am defrosting them now, then will rub them down and let them sit for a few days in the fridge. I will use a little Dales and something else (not sure what) to marinate them in.

What temp and how long per pound should each be in the smoker as a guideline. I will be using a combo of Kingsford and Pecan Wood.

What would you guys do??

Bull

kcquer
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Bull, I haven't used the Dale's myself, but I do understand from reading here that it is easy to overdo, standby for Bill, Neil and some of the other guys that use the stuff.

417bullelk
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
I like the flavor and only plan to use 1-2 teaspoons of it along with some of that new Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, and some spices. I recently went and bought a bunch of new spices to make brines/rubs with.

I also have some other stuff called Moores, similiar to Dales, not as salty, and it has a slight Hickory flavor.

Not sure yet.....time to play!!

BigBelly
12-06-2004, 06:47 AM
I cannot comment on the Dale's either. I have only had it once when frying up some Walleye back at the Bel Air BBQ Bash competition in MD this past summer--good stuff but very very powerful.

If I was in your shoes I would keep the smoker at a 215-235 temp range. It sounds like you are cooking up some smaller cuts of meats so I think it would be safe to say to keep an eye on your thermometer till the internal temp of both cuts reaches an internal temp of 190 (if you foil wrap at 140 cook till 190). If the chuck roast is a little on the lean side you may want to drape a few slices of bacon over top to keep her moist.

417bullelk
12-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks Big Belly. Sounds like a plan. I will be sure and do the bacon thing since it's Elk. I am throwing a fatty in with 'em!!

brdbbq
12-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Had some Elk backstrap once, good **** Maynard.

417bullelk
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I am hopin' it will be good. Got them marinating right now. Will be in the marinade until tomorrow night then get rubbed down and let set overnight..then into the 'dera.

I picked up some charcoal today as Wal-Mart, it's Sams Choice brand but it says they are 60% larger than other brands. Anyone tried them?? The bag says they burn longer and hotter. I guess we will see.

BrooklynQ
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah. I tried it twice in my weber kettle and once in the WSM. Sam's is big brikettes, but Sam's choice sucks. They wouldn't stay lit. Never have that problem with Kingsford or lump.

I thought that maybe it was because they were in the closed smokers, but even on an open grill, they died out about halfway through the brickettte. Were they hotter? That's hard to tell. But I'll nver buy them again.

Check out this link for info on charcoal...
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

417bullelk
12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Looks like I will be mixing them in with the Kingsford.

Neil
12-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Bull, your right on target with the 1-2 teaspoons of Dale"s. I usually add it with some soy, woresteschire, and Yoshida's gourmet sauce, along with just about everything liquid I have in the fridge: coke, DP, margaritta mix, V8, pickle juice,...... As for time, I usually plan on at least 1 hour per pound for the total weight of meat you have.