PDA

View Full Version : Texas Style Pit Beans

JONESY
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey guys, I want to try some “Texas style pit beans” tomorrow for something a little different. I usually do the traditional sweet and sticky baked beans, which are awesome, but I’m in the mod for something with a little more twang. The recipe I have as a starting point is;

Dried pinto beans (soaked and sorted)
Minced yellow onion
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
S/P
Water to cover, and into the pit for 3-4 hours

I was also going to toss in some frozen leftover pulled chuck, but it still seems like I’m missing something. Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin
02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I like to add finely chopped Jalapeno, crushed garlic and a little bit of Mexican Oregano.

JONESY
02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Jalapeno, garlic, oregano. Check, check, and check. Now I’m getting somewhere.

BBQ Grail
02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking Cumin....

cowgirl
02-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I like to give pintos a bit of smoke after soaking overnight..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93151

just one more option....

Mark Stanton
02-05-2011, 10:57 AM
bacon

JONESY
02-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Cowgirl, I read your post about your pit beans and they look awesome. Do they really take that long on the pit even after being soaked overnight? If so, I may have to do the crock pot bit, I’m only cooking ribs, so I won’t have all day for beans. Thanks

kyle corn
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
If I have left over smoked meat I'll use that in my beans. If I don't have leftovers, I usually get a smoked ham hock from the store. Also, I like to roast anaheim and pasilla chiles and then run them through the food processor and add them to the beans about an hour before serving. I'll usually add 6-7 chiles per pound of beans. They're not hot at all, but they add great flavor.

cowgirl
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Cowgirl, I read your post about your pit beans and they look awesome. Do they really take that long on the pit even after being soaked overnight? If so, I may have to do the crock pot bit, I’m only cooking ribs, so I won’t have all day for beans. Thanks

Jonesy they seem to take forever on the pit but it's due to smoking at such a low temperature. If you bring them to a boil on the stove, then put them in the smoker you might be able to do it, but they would still take all day.

I like to smoke the soaked beans for a couple hours, stirring them every once in awhile....then add broth and spices...and simmer until tender on the stove.
If you have time you could smoke them then put them into your crock pot.

Have you ever tried anasazi beans? They are similar to pintos but cook up quicker..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56359

Good luck with them Jonesy!

BobBrisket
02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Some cilantro and and some diced tomato will help round out the flavors. Just me, but I'd go with heat from fresh peppers instead of power like cayenne. Cay is good for chili, but for a beans only dish, the fresh peppers really bring it all together. Some good peppers for beans are serranos and poblanos. Also, if possible, start out with chicken or beef stock vs water. If you use stock, water the salt later.
I'm trying to go with a more, Ranchero Beans approach.

sfbbqguy
02-05-2011, 01:11 PM
bacon

Yes! Certainly Bacon...this should be Top of Mind when starting any dish even if you don't end up using it.

BobBrisket
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Almost forgot.......chorizo sausage!

MountainCityOutlaw
02-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Pintos
onion
jalapeno
canned stewed tomatoes
garlic
s&p
yellow mustard
tiger sauce
brown sugar.
Ham hock or Salt Pork

We put ours on the fire box and let them go. This is more of the style you will find in our part of the world!!

theflints01
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
We always throw a few somked hamhocks in the pans when we cook pintos.
I've had problems with dry pinto beans taking a real long time to get cooked all the way through. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but sometimes they seem almost done just from soaking them for an hour in hot water, and sometimes I simmer them for two hours after soaking and they still are hard in the middle. Maybe the beans are old? I've taken to canning them in quarts, that seems to work great at home. Has anyone else had this problem? I like using pintos for catering but the unpredictale nature of the beans cook time has me buying #10 cans of them which costs way more.

FltEng
02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
You can quick brine the beans by adding 3 tablespoons of salt to 1 gallon of water add the beans bring to a boil over high heat. Once they come to a boil remove from heat and cover for 1 hour. The beans will be ready to go for the final cooking stage. I use this for some chili and bean recipes the beans will cook in the final dish at least 1-1.5 hours longer.

JONESY
02-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Well I went to the store and no Anasazi beans, so pintos it is. I also picked up some fresh pablanos and some dried chipotles, I will roast the pablanos and chop the chipotles. So now the recipe looks like;

Dried pintos
Minced yellow onion
Whole head of roasted garlic
Roasted pablanos
Chopped chipotles
Chili powder
Cumin
Oregano
Chicken stock

The only question is meat/no meat, I have leftover pulled chuck and I am doing ribs tomorrow so I will have rib trimmings. Can I put chopped raw rib trimmings in at the beginning? I really don’t want to fire up the smoker tonight just to smoke my scraps (it’s snowing like mad, again). Thanks for all the input.

Grabnabber
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Toss in the leftovers. :thumb:

JONESY
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Well the beans are in the pot simmering away, I ground 3 dried chipotles in my spice grinder and added to the pot, and the smell is amazing. I can’t wait.

Louisiana Smoker
02-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Only one thing missing. Add some sweet and spicy tobasco sauce.

Oldschoolbbq
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
garlic!

gtr
02-06-2011, 05:45 PM
BBQ Grail mentions cumin - I would take that very seriously! I haven't made a pot of beans without cumin in years.

btcg
02-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Pics bro?

gaspipe1
11-06-2011, 02:57 PM
This thread has inspired me to make some beans along w/my tri tip. Seems this will be a first time for both dishes.

For the beans: sautéed some onions, garlic and pickled jalapenos. I added that to a casserole dish with some red pepper flakes, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin powder, and a bay leaf, thyme.
I boiled some salt water w/dried pinto beans, then let it simmer for an hour. Added the beans to the casserole then mixed all the ingredients. I added some maple syrup and red wine at the end. I think the red wine messed this up. Had good flavor b4 I added the maple and wine at the end.

Dropped the casserole into my weber performer right next to the coals with the idea of cooking the tri tip above it for the drippings. The lid temp was 350 and it's been going for 2 hours in the weber and some beans are still hard. I may have to finish this stove top to get them tender and perhaps reduce the wine taste.

Covered the tri tip with Montreal Steak seasoning, let it rest for 2 hours and thats it. I started the tri-tip on the cool side of the grill (above the beans for indirect) till 130* internal and then will sear it above the coals, then let rest for 10-20 min.

BTW added some hickory chips for smoke each time I introduced one of the items to the grill.

wish me luck

Black Dog BBQ
11-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Ya need to make some fried "taters" to go with those beans! Oh Man!

Mr. Bo
11-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Ya need to make some fried "taters" to go with those beans! Oh Man!

And some cornbread.

When I smoke a ham I "always" save the bones, fat and trimmings for beans. Ya just can't go wrong with some of that in a pot of beans.
Just sayin....

thirdeye
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Garlic, epazote, little summer savory to balance out the black pepper.

Bigdog
11-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Bacon, must add bacon.:thumb:

Lots of good suggestions here, but ever you do, don't leave out Brother Kevin's (post #2) suggestions. He is the Brethren Bean King here (I crowned him years ago). The man knows his beans for sure.

ribslayer
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I place the open bean pan under my butts and let them render into the beans. I also stir the beans at least every hour of cooking to ensure as much surface area as possible is exposed to smoke. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

J_Don
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM
And I thought I had a pretty decent bean recipe. After reading this I know the next batch will be killer. With all of the suggestions above, personally I would add the leftover meat especially the rib tips. IMHO. :becky: