PDA

View Full Version : Pigtail Food Flipper...

417bullelk
12-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Is the Pigtail Food Flipper a must have accessory?? I understand they make handling the meat a breeze.

I know I can count on you guys (and gals) to give me the low down....

Here is another one a found that has 3 in the set....
http://www.ezhooks.com/ezhooks/index.html

Here is the original....
http://www.pigtailff.com/

Bull

Stucue74
12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Holy Bull Elk. With a bow, nice. What the hell is a Pigtail Food Flipper?

spicewine
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
B. E. : I personally don't believe in poking holes in my meat. I don't even own a turning fork. If I spend all that time sealing in the juices I sure don't want to go an poke holes in it. I use Tongs. Just one man's opinon. :wink:

Did you get your order yet?

BrooklynQ
12-01-2004, 06:28 PM
I agrees with spicewine. I use tongs for everything.

BigBelly
12-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Tong it if you can!

Bigmista
12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Don't Poke your meat! Tong it!

There's a wide open door if I ever seen one!

BBQchef33
12-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Throw it out! Dont poke your meat. I dont even like stickin a thermometer in it when its hot, i always put the probs in cold and then plug them in when it comes time to start caroing about the temps. Those pigtails make the juices run out.

jminion
12-01-2004, 10:12 PM
If you can by poking a whole in a steak get enought juices to leak out of it to make any real difference in the out come, then explain how how someone can Jaccard a steak or brisket flat and have turn out moist. The only way I know you can dry out a piece of is to over cook it.

A pig tail can be useful but unless your working a really large grill there is no real need for it, tongs will get the same job done.

BBQchef33
12-01-2004, 10:21 PM
i wouldnt jaccard a cooked steak! That be makin a mess.

They dont leak when they're raw.. but i sure see lots of juice running out when i poke a hot steak with a fork. Dont care if it just a teaspoon... i want that stuff in my plate, not running into the pit. better to soak into the mashed potatos

Samichlaus
12-01-2004, 10:47 PM
What is the supposed advantage of that over a pair of tongs?

racer_81
12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I have a Pigtail thingie, but on a Bandera there really isn't a lot of room to poke, lift
and flip. I found that out the first (and only) time I tried to use it.

So, for me, it is tongs and gloves!!

Wayne
12-02-2004, 12:19 AM
No room to manouver on most pits. These things might work well on grills, in a pit they are kind of clumsey. For any heavy work they are too small . I use tongs or for really big cuts a combination of tongs and a heavy heat resistant rubber glove.

Neil
12-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Never poke your meat. Poke with your meat, use tongs.

chad
12-02-2004, 07:02 AM
They work great on steaks, ribs, chops, etc. I use one occassionally on the grill. Most of our smokers don't have the room to flip food - as a matter of fact I rarely turn or flip the meat in the smoker.

The poking holes issue is an urban myth!! (Shall we call Myth Busters?) However, everyone believes it's a problem so I'm not going to argue with them.

The hook is a great tool for the grill, in my opinion, but not much use on our pits!! Also, do not try and move a full brisket or port but with one - I don't even use tongs - I get the insulated gloves! :D

jt
12-02-2004, 08:32 AM
I hear you there Dave. The gloves come out to move almost everything in the 'dera. By the time I load it up there's not much room for tongs even.

Bill-Chicago
12-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I got one as a gift, but never think to use it. Just too use to tongs. Maybe I'll start using it to give it a try.

spicewine
12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
They make good back scratchers. :wink:

BBQchef33
12-02-2004, 09:11 AM
They make good back scratchers. :wink:

Up.. they pull your spine right out thru your skin and then ya dont feel the itch no more.

:mrgreen:

Samichlaus
12-02-2004, 09:13 AM
They might be handy for battering things & dropping them in a fryer.

brdbbq
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Going with Dave on this one. Have two and use the hell out of them on the grill only. Then afain I use gas as well so I'm a weird farker.

kcquer
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
It might be more theory than practical, but I am in the never poke your meat camp, especially steaks. On the smoker good tongs for the small stuff and the big stuff gets moved by hand. One of the things I really like about the 'dera is the ability to pull the racks out set them on a large baking sheet, then deal with it in the kitchen. With the cimarron, briskets and butts get set on a baking sheet using two large foodservice pancake turners. They're kinda pricey new but I picked mine up this summer during out city wide garage sale. Paid $1 for set of 2.

brdbbq
12-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Sand in the Water Pan Rules

Heimelswine
12-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree with DF, I love a pigtail. I use it for steaks, ribs and flat cuts of meats like that. I like it so well I bought one for my brother-in-law, we grill a lot of steaks together. I don't poke holes in my meats with a meat fork, or thermometers. Once I put my thermometer in, it stays in, I hate seeing the juices run out of my meats. I don't find the pigtail makes a terrible leaker in my meats like meat forks or thermometers do. On lump/round meats (briskets, pork loins-butts-shoulders, chickens, etc.) I use my Ronco heat resistant gloves.

tommykendall
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
You're not supposed to agree with DF even if you really agree with him. :lol:

And welcome 1st timer. Please visit the cattle call forum and introduce yourself. Good times are had by all here.

Heimelswine
12-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I meant Mr. DF. :P Thanks tk, I'll head over there now.

Jorge
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
I too poke my meat on occasion, guilty pleasure :oops: Usually when I'm pulling a big ass brisket out of the Bandera before putting it in the cooler. Or, I use a pair of gloves. Usually whichever one I remembered to bring out.

twisted shanks
01-27-2009, 02:18 AM
You guys crack me up!!!!:eek: I wouldn't use one of those broom handled flippers either; but you guys haven't seen the custom made ones here in Brazoria Texas. I'll try to get some Pics up. Axis horn and silver with buffalo horn handle and 1/4" SS 14" long hook. HE also has a BLing edition:mrgreen: uses diamond cut Aluminium 1 1/8 barstock with SS accents

Desert Dweller
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Nuff said?

Panther5150
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I use kitchen gloves or tongs whichever is easiest.

ulikabbq
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I use mine but only on chicken thighs. I can poke it into the bone and flip it really easily. I have not found a use for the large pig tail.

beam boys bbq
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
i use them on pork steak only you can grap them quick and flip them

my 2 cents

york

Rookie'48
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I've used the PigTail for pig candy or sliced jerky, it seems to work out ok.

sampson
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Real men, handle their meat, however hot, with their bare hands:icon_blush:

smokinit
01-28-2009, 07:55 AM
They work great on steaks, ribs, chops, etc. I use one occassionally on the grill. Most of our smokers don't have the room to flip food - as a matter of fact I rarely turn or flip the meat in the smoker.

The poking holes issue is an urban myth!! (Shall we call Myth Busters?) However, everyone believes it's a problem so I'm not going to argue with them.

The hook is a great tool for the grill, in my opinion, but not much use on our pits!! Also, do not try and move a full brisket or port but with one - I don't even use tongs - I get the insulated gloves! :D

I agree and that hole it leaves is very small I can't see it affecting enough.

BBQ Grail
01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
I have the complete set of ezhooks. They work fantastic. When I first got them I watched the hole it made and if any valuable juices came out. They did not.

From a practical standpoint they are great for "grilling" larger quantities of meat. I use mine primarily for chicken. You can reach in quicker with the ezhook than with tongs. For smoking they just aren't of any use. Grilling yes...smoker no.

As for beef, they work great on steaks, but I use tongs. As I mentioned, no juice leakage. But you can't be precise enough in returning the steak to the grill to get nice grill marks.

That being said if I had to replace my set of ezhooks I would probably only replace the longest one. Because on the 26 inch kettle it's nice.

tonto1117
01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Contrary to most, I love the pigtail.... I only use it for chicken and ribs and find it easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Saulnier
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't poke or tong, I handle. I have a pair of heat resistant gloves that I tunr all my meats with on the smoker. On the grill I use tongs.

Rooster
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
One word - Tongs. Well that was technically three words, but you get the idea.

Stoke&Smoke
01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I use mine mostly for steaks and chops when grilling, but what the big one works best at is clearing out the ash from the holes in my BGE firebox!
It really does a great job at that!

Harbormaster
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Y'all do realize this thread was dead for 4+ years, right?

Right?

I've never used 'em, but I told Curt to save his for me when I come to Dayton.

jestridge
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
The only acessories you need with BBQ is wood , fire , meat ,salt. I hate to think I couldn't flip a steak with my bare hand.

DC-Q
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
No holes in the meat!!! Get a pair of neoprene firemans gloves.

Sledneck
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Contrary to most, I love the pigtail.... I only use it for chicken and ribs and find it easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Me too:biggrin: