PDA

View Full Version : Not BBQ: Pots and Pans- Go Cheap or All-Clad?

kyle corn
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Mods: If this is too off topic, please feel free to move the thread.

I have approximately $350 to spend on cookware and I'm faced with this dilemma.

1) Buy a complete, decent Chinese-made set like the Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro for less than $300 and call it a day. It has everything I could need and with care will last a long time. If I ever need a specialty piece I can add it later and it will be relatively cheap.

2) Buy All-Clad, but with my budget I can only afford the essentials. Basically, I'd maybe get a 10-12" skillet, a stock pot and a small saucepan or something else along those lines. As budget permits, I can add more pieces later.

I've read the reviews on various cookware sets. I want to know if the cheaper stuff can be put through the ringer like All Clad, or if I'm just wasting my money.

A few things to keep in mind.

-I'm 25 years old, this will be my first attempt to build a cookware collection. When I buy things that I use a lot and enjoy using, I like to buy for a lifetime.
-I appreciate American made products and I like nice stuff. I don't wear expensive jeans or drive a nice car, but I like cooking so when I can, I like to splurge on it.
-I'm only looking at tri-ply stainless cookware. I don't want super cheap teflon stuff and I already have a nice 8" Griswold skillet and a Lodge dutch oven. I appreciate cast iron and will add more pieces later, but I do want a good stainless set.
-I'm already set when it comes to my BBQ stuff. I have a nice homebuilt offset, a UDS and access to an FEC-100 when I need it. I also have a really nice knife collection, a thermopen and other equipment. I don't need to save money on the cookware to add to the BBQ collection, as I have all I could ever ask for.

Any and all input is appreciated! :thumb:

gtr
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Cook's Illustrated magazine (they have a website - you may have to pay to join but it's worth it) has a lot of helpful reviews for that kind of stuff.

I'm always of the mind that you get the best you possibly can the first time, 'cause you're gonna end up getting it anyway after the cheaper stuff wears out.

Sometimes a good restaurant supply store will have good stuff that costs less than what you would normally pay in a regular retail spot. There's a place called Surfa's in Culver City that has really good stuff.

Mister Bob
02-04-2011, 11:25 AM
You can't go wrong with All-Clad. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for and All-Clad is a superior product and it's made right here in the US of A with American steel and American labor. I would much rather have a few really good essential pieces than a whole set of knock-off Chinese cookware.

JONESY
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I recently had the same dilemma, and after much research I decided to with the COSTCO Signature series set. It’s a 13 piece set with a copper bonded 5ply base, I’ve had these for about six months and absolutely love them, they are heavy and heat evenly. Best of all 13 piece set…… $180 I would highly recommend them, also you can order them online.

boatnut
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Cooks Illustrated always touts All Clad and for good reasons. That being said, they recently rated a set of Tramontina Cookware as "2nd best" and about a 5th of the price of all clad.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

Amazon.com: Tramontina 15 pc. Stainless Steel Cookware: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51amRmnN65L.@@AMEPARAM@@51amRmnN65L (http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-pc-Stainless-Steel-Cookware/dp/B004FJYKLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296841133&sr=8-1)

I have one All clad skillet and love the thing. I guess my thoughts would be to a) buy all clad , one piece at a time to suit your needs (check ebay as well). or b) buy the Tramonitina set and be done with it.

MadCityJim
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
A few years ago. I faced the same dilemma, and I chose to buy the 10 piece Calphanon Tri-ply set. One of the main factors was that I had a family to cook for and I needed most of the pieces on a regular basis. The whole 10 piece set was ~$300-$400.

Since then, I am filling my wants, piece by piece with All-Clad, and my new mistress, tin lined copper (you probably don't want to go there). The first piece was the 6 quart sauté pan (14inch). Then I picked up the 12 quart All-Clad multi-pot and eventually the 12 quart tri-ply stock pot. I even picked up the 24q All-clad stock pot for less that $100 on ebay a couple of years ago. This fall I added the 15in tri-ply roasting pan when I found it on clearance at Marshall's.

So if you can get by for the next 2 years on what you have plus the new All-Clad pieces, just start with the All-Clad. You can pass it to your grandkids when you die. If you really need a set now, go with the Cuisinart or caphalon tri-ply. As you collect the All-clad pieces you can save the basic tri-ply set for your camper or for when your kids get their first apartment.

landarc
02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I would consider the Cuisinart or Calphalon pans, they are not USA made, but, they are far from knock-offs. They will last as long as an All-Clad and perform just about as well. That being said, I would go with the All-Clad if it being American made matters (which all things being equal, it should) and there is something satisfying with working with something that is just the top of the line.

That being said, I have worked in several restaurant kitchens and seen many more and most do not use Calphalon, they use commercial cookware that is somewhat cheaper.

LMAJ
02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I would say take a look at what is out there and make you decission baded on what you like. If you are the kind of person who only wants to buy something once that has good quality then go for it and get your peices along the way.

I started out with Caphalon 20ish years ago. Got one peice at a time as they went on sale or as gifts. I now have the peices I need/want and it has held up well over the years and believe me, I am not dainty when it comes to cookware.
Good luck making your choice.

smokeyw
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Calphalon. It is still expensive but not as bad as some. Whatever I decided to go with, I would not buy a set. You normally get things in a set you don't necessarily need. I would decide what I needed the worst and pursue that first. On another note, I bought a large stainless fry pan at Bed Bath & Beyond that carried the Emeril Lagosse brand. In reading the litereature, I discovered it was made by All-Clad and I honestly can't tell the difference. I bought it on sale for about half the price.

trohrs123
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
i would recommend finding either a Restaurant Depot or restaurant supply and looking there...commercial grade and cheaper than you will find in Bed Bath Beyond or other such places

landarc
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Oh, one more thing, take a bag of beans or some other soft weight, and put it in the pans and lift them, flip them etc...make sure the handle is comfortable. One of the largest complaints about All-Clad is the handles really do suck for some folks.

Finney
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Cooks Illustrated always touts All Clad and for good reasons. That being said, they recently rated a set of Tramontina Cookware as "2nd best" and about a 5th of the price of all clad.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

Amazon.com: Tramontina 15 pc. Stainless Steel Cookware: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-pc-Stainless-Steel-Cookware/dp/B004FJYKLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296841133&sr=8-1)

I have one All clad skillet and love the thing. I guess my thoughts would be to a) buy all clad , one piece at a time to suit your needs (check ebay as well). or b) buy the Tramonitina set and be done with it.

The ones from Walmart are the ones in the Cook's Illustrated review (tri-ply clad). The ones from Amazon are not. They only have clad bottoms.

Walmart also has a 10 piece set for a little more money, and most of the pieces are larger sizes. I bought the 10 piece set (plus a few extras) and they are very good quality.

deepsouth
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
i recommend all-clad based on experience with many popular brands.

Bigdog
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Based on what you said and value, I would go All-Clad. You will regret it if you don't and always wonder if it is worth the price, which I believe it is.

OneHump
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I've had my all clad for 15 years and expect to have it for life. You certainly don't have to buy it all at once.

BBQ_MAFIA
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
You have ask yourself if you really believe that there will be a difference in your end results because of the All Clad construction.
If you believe that there will be then you have your answer. You should also consider if you will be limited in what you can do
as buying All Clad will not give you a wider selection of vessels to cook in.
Now, in saying that, I didn't follow any of my own advise and bought a full set of All Clad. I also bought a full set of Mauviel Professional Cookwear
when I lived in Europe. I didn't need all this stuff but I'm glad I got it and never regretted spending the money.
I will tell you that the Tin lined Copper Cookware is great, but you have to be careful with it and have it re-tinned at times. This can be very expensive.
Most of my Cooper Pots and Pans are lined with Stainless Steel. The difference in the heat conductivity is not noticeable.

Attached below is a photo of my Son the chef. In the back ground you can see me toys.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

yelonutz
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Kyle, google "All clad seconds" and take a look at the results. I have bought several seconds (they will have a small "S"stamped on the underside of the handle) and can't find any defect in them. Some are listed at up to 70% off.

NUTZ

Professor Salt
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Kyle, google "All clad seconds" and take a look at the results. I have bought several seconds (they will have a small "S"stamped on the underside of the handle) and can't find any defect in them. Some are listed at up to 70% off.

NUTZ

What yelonutz said. If you're going to buy All Clad, the blems are just awesome. You can't tell they're blems. http://www.cookwarenmore.com/

I'd advise you not to buy any cookware in sets.

I worked in a kitchen store and I sold a lot of sets to folks who wanted a complete kitchen re-do NOW. It sounds like you're willing to build your inventory slowly. Get the pieces you're really going to use one at a time. Most sets come with pots / pans that aren't must-have pieces. They also include a lot of lids that you may get little use out of, and count those as pieces of the set.

Whoever advised bringing a bag of beans to flip around had it right. Go try some out and see how you like the feel.

caseydog
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I have some All Clad, but my favorite fry pans to use everyday are some Ceramiquard that I bought at a AceMart, a restaurant supply store.

I do use my All Clad sauce pans daily, and love my LeCruset cast iron.

So, I don't use just one brand or price level of cookware.

Do pay a visit to a restaurant supply store. Its like a toy store for cooks.

CD

frognot
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
i've never regretted buying quality but i've frequently regretted buying less than quality.

Lotsa good advice in this thread. Thanks for starting this thread.

Saiko
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
This pic of my All-Clad stash should let you know how I feel. :-D
I don't think it's worth it to spend high end money on something that will only be holding liquid though (like a stock pot).
I just gradually built my stash up over the years though, I've never bought an entire set. They don't go on sale that much but you will catch things on clearance from time to time.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/Misc/allclad.jpg

cameraman
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Buy All Clad if you want your cookware to be around for generations. Otherwise I'd look at Costco or Walmart.

Lake Dogs
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I've had my all clad for 15 years and expect to have it for life. You certainly don't have to buy it all at once.

I love the All Clad, however I've had my Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro for 15
years and another set for 10 years without a problem. My guess is
the All Clad may last a year or two difference, however you'll probably
be in the market to replace either/both at that time anyway... They're
both VERY good.

caseydog
02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

NUTZ

LeCruset sells "seconds," too. They have a whole section in their outlet stores with a large selection of seconds. I can't see anything wrong with them.

CD

caseydog
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I love the All Clad, however I've had my Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro for 15
years and another set for 10 years without a problem. My guess is
the All Clad may last a year or two difference, however you'll probably
be in the market to replace either/both at that time anyway... They're
both VERY good.

Over the years, I have had All Clad, Cusinart Mutli Clad, and Calphalon Tri-Ply, and I couldn't tell any difference in quality.

CD

bover
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
-I appreciate American made products and I like nice stuff. I don't wear expensive jeans or drive a nice car, but I like cooking so when I can, I like to splurge on it.

Couldn't have stated my personal views any better. That being said, I've been really happy with my Costco Signature pans. Got them as a wedding gift four years ago and even with daily use they're not showing a bit of wear.

Mister Bob
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
In the back ground you can see me toys.

It's been said, "The biggest difference between men and boys is not their age but the price of their toys". I agree, nice collection! :thumb:

AndyDuncan
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I have a mix of All-Clad and the tri-ply tramontinas from wal mart. The Tramontinas are indistinguishable from the all-clads in performance and the handles are more comfortable. They are a steal, but they're made in China, if that bothers you.

I'd load up on some tramontinas, and get a carbon-steel fry pan or a cast iron pan as well.

These are awesome:

Amazon.com: De Buyer Mineral 8 Inch Steel Fry Pan: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VjdHqNlyL.@@AMEPARAM@@31VjdHqNlyL (http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-Mineral-Inch-Steel-Fry/dp/B002S52X1E/ref=sr_1_2_m?ie=UTF8&qid=1296850784&sr=8-2)

They work like a cast iron pan, but are shaped a little nicer.

foodace
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm a big fan of all clad and have bought a bunch of irregular pieces from a place called Cookware & More (http://www.cookwarenmore.com/). The irregularities are usually just a little scratch that is virtually undetectable.
On the down side, I once had to wait several months to get a 14" fry pan...I guess that don't mess them up in bulk.

Lake Dogs
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
In addition to the cusinart sets I have 4 Wally World special stainless steel with
aluminum clad pots that we use for chili cookoffs. We've treated these pots particularly
bad for 5 years and they're doing VERY well. For me, and mind you I truly believe in
buying quality, it would be very hard to justify the price difference. Take the difference
in the money and buy the wife a snow cone and buy yourself a nice Lang.

;-)

<--- I'm probably in deep doo doo over this at home

gotwood
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
get what you can now in all clad and add pieces as you can afford them...

i also suggest getting some le cruset...spelling ware
I have my grandmothers stuff and it is still the best stuff I own

not to mention we need to buy american now more than ever.

campdude
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I recently had the same dilemma, and after much research I decided to with the COSTCO Signature series set. It’s a 13 piece set with a copper bonded 5ply base, I’ve had these for about six months and absolutely love them, they are heavy and heat evenly. Best of all 13 piece set…… $180 I would highly recommend them, also you can order them online.
I won't knock All-Clad, as it's great cookware, but I have to say the Costo Kirkland Signature series is FANTASTIC. It's used every day in my house. I got the 13 piece set almost 3 years ago and it still looks like new. It's tri-ply and heavy, heats evenly, and will take abuse. The only thing I can't say about it is that it's made in the USA, because it isn't. It's made in Thailand.
On another note, if you want to check out restaurant equipment stores, there's one in Montclair (near Montclair Plaza, off the 10). I've bought stuff at great prices there, but never looked at cookware.

jestridge
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Well I don't care for ss cookware. I love my TFal SKellet and cast iron pots

gtr
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Just to throw it out there, I've heard of folks scoring Le Cruesets for great prices at Tuesday Morning. Don't know if that can happen with All Clad, but may be worth checking out.

BDAABAT
02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Would second the suggestion to not necessarily jump into a set. The pieces that I've seen in most sets aren't the pieces that I would use on a regular basis (YMMV). If you already know what you want and know what you use, might make sense to focus in on those pieces...then you can choose the best piece for your budget and your regular use.

Would also echo the suggestion to NOT spend a lot of money on something that has a main purpose of holding large amounts of liquid...an All Clad stockpot may be very nice looking, but I don't think it will perform any better than a less expensive stock pot from a restaurant supply house.

If you're OK mixing and matching, might be good to get a mix of stuff...Perhaps some LeCruset Dutch ovens, some basic stock pots, perhaps some Calphalon skillets and a couple nice All Clad sauté pans might get you going. You're 25... You have a lot of time to build your collection to best suit
your cooking needs.

Personally, I've had to work on my cookware over time. I made the mistake of buying Chantal seconds when first married and broke. Some of the pans were fine, but others were not...they looked just fine, but had issues like the bottoms not being even...which was really annoying. I've since just looked for sales online and have what I need from a variety of vendors. It ain't pretty, but it works for me.

Good luck!!

Bruce

AndyDuncan
02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
The wonderful J. Kenji Lopez Alt did a comparison of the All-Clad and Tramontina Fry pans:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/equipment-the-all-clad-vs-tramontina-skillet.html

It's also worth noting that Cook's Illustrated rated the tramontinas lower than the all-clads because they weren't induction capable and the sauce pots included in the set were small. Tramontina fixed both those problems over a year ago, and all their pans are induction capable and the sauce pots included in the base wal-mart package are larger.

With regards to not needing a stock pot to be full tri-ply, that's sort of true if you're just using it for boiling water or stock, however, a nice tri-ply stock pot can also do double duty as a dutch oven, something I use mine for all the time.

Jaberwabee
02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
I have a set of All-Clad, that I pieced together, but also put together a Crueset/Lodge combined set of porcelain cast iron. I use the cast iron about 4 times the amount I use my All-Clad. Once you get them seasoned right, and learn to manage heat on them, they are awesome.

On my 11" cast iron I cook eggs and with no oil or fat can slide them right off the pan, and have virtually no clean up. Plus if a burglar ever comes in my house, I can knock them the fark out with it.

kyle corn
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I'm going to get a couple All Clad pieces and see where that takes me.

As far as cast iron, I love cooking on it and as I said, I have a Griswold skillet and Lodge DO. I'm always on the lookout for more Griswold pieces, though.

sbramm
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

second this one!

i've had my kirkland set for over 3 years and it is great. superior product at a great price.

Big George's BBQ
02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Go All-Clad

Shooody
02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I've used All-Clad for over ten years and still cookn'. Honesty, I use my cast iron skillet more than anything else.

Groundhog66
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I am also in the market, here (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505) is a set that compares with All Clad.

kyle corn
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Since starting this thread a couple months back I've used and fell in love with carbon steel pans. I'm going to get some de Buyer mineral fry pans, then I'll probably add some stainless (non-reactive) sauce pans later on.

Amazon.com: de Buyer Mineral Pan, Fry Pan: 12": Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KFcT523eL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KFcT523eL (http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-Mineral-Pan-Fry-12/dp/B002LCKNNE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299863924&sr=8-3)

Dale in GA
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
My two cents worth is that in a 10" to 12" inch skillet I would go with All Clad. Generally you will find that a skillet of this type is the most often used in your inventory so go with the best you can afford. I have Trimontina 10" saute pan, Caphalon 12" fry, LeCrusset 8qt Dutch oven, etc. I've had for years all good products, but, simply put, the All Clad is the best performer of them all AND you can throw it in the automatic dishwasher with no worries.

Mark
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
No $hit; especially deep doo doo if someone lets your wife know she'd get a snow cone out of the deal.

In addition to the cusinart sets I have 4 Wally World special stainless steel with
aluminum clad pots that we use for chili cookoffs. We've treated these pots particularly
bad for 5 years and they're doing VERY well. For me, and mind you I truly believe in
buying quality, it would be very hard to justify the price difference. Take the difference
in the money and buy the wife a snow cone and buy yourself a nice Lang.

;-)

<--- I'm probably in deep doo doo over this at home

Mark
03-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Kyle: $350 is like only 1 to 3 All-Clad items (depending on the item, discounts, etc.). That's not going to get you very "equipped."

landarc
03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Man, haven't seen or used a carbon steel pan in years. Keep it well seasoned, they are nice, but, can rust on you just like cast iron.

D.F. Expat
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I got my wife a set of Emerilware (made by all clad ) pots and pans about 6 years ago and they look as good as new today. they were something like this set, but not exact.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16663735'

Groundhog66
03-11-2011, 03:31 PM
How about Amazon.com: All-Clad Master Chef 2 7-Piece Cookware Set: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4165ZQC8YAL.@@AMEPARAM@@4165ZQC8YAL (http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Master-Chef-7-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008UA7I/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1299863570&sr=1-2) set for starters, it doesn't include a lot of add-ons that will more than likely never get used. Could add a larger frying pan, and would have a pretty nice start.

Wayne
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
You might look for some estate or farm auctions. I have seen some real high doller cookware go for nearly nothing. I prefer cast iron but I also have several clad pans that I really like.

Capozzoli
03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Alclad will last you the rest of your life but they are really expensive.

Cast iron pans will last your whole life too, though. They may be heavy but work just as well IMO.

I have one Alclad 12" saute pan. The rest are cast iron. Then I have a couple of VERY expensive copper pots from France and my stock pots are from Ikea, (very good quality)

I say dont buy a set. Just work your way up to a collection by trying what you like.

Bartstop
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
We bought the SS Emerilware set from Bed Bath and Beyond. We're very happy with all of it. We also bought a Calphalon (teflon) skillet for eggs and other things that are notorious for sticking. After 6 months or so it started bubbling and peeling. Thinking we just got one from a bad batch we threw it away and bought another just like it. After 6 months it did the exact same thing. Soooooo, I went to the evil Chinese store (the one with the yellow smiley face everywhere) and bought a T-fal skillet. That's been a year and a half ago and it still looks brand new. So more $$ doesn't always mean better quality. I will NEVER buy Calphalon again.

Dave

NewBBQer
03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Go cheap and no matter how you take care of it youll replace it, go big and they could last a long long time! Bought the wife a pricey set and shes never have had any issues and havnt bought a pot or pan in 4 years!

Groundhog66
03-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Go cheap and no matter how you take care of it youll replace it, go big and they could last a long long time! Bought the wife a pricey set and shes never have had any issues and havnt bought a pot or pan in 4 years!

I understand your logic, but you can buy a quality less expensive pieces five times over compared to All-Clad. That being said, I am leaning toward All-Clad...not sure why exactly.

Mitch
03-12-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of all clad. But for $350, you won't get too much. Start with a saute pan (not a skillet).

stuworld
03-12-2011, 07:56 AM
I love the All Clad collection we have been building over the years, but if I were to start over at 25, I would probably go with the Kirkland set as a base and then get the specialty pieces I need as the meals demand them.

KuradiEit
03-12-2011, 09:22 AM
A matched set looks nice displayed from the rack in your kitchen but you'll find yourself favoring certain pieces and ignoring others. Also, you'll find your needs changing as your family and/or guest lists grow and shrink. Over the years, my favorite pots and pans have become a mish-mash of pieces that range from cheap crap to high end. I'll betcha the same happens to you. :o)

kyle corn
03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I have much better idea of what I'm doing. Definitely no sets for me. I have a couple cast iron pieces (1 Lodge, 1 90 year old Griswold) and I plan on adding a couple carbon steel pans and some other pieces in stainless. I'm going to put together a hodgepodge collection with different pieces in different materials for different uses.