PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Dry Aged Steaks

DaveMW
02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Do I need to alter cooking time and/or temps when cooking a Dry Aged (30 day) NY Strip Steak? My local "fancy" grocer just started carry them and well, I have to try them right? My first time trying one on my own grill rather than when I am out to eat. In addition I am thinking that I might want to go with something mild like a flavored butter to place on top when it is resting rather than a marinade or rub to let the dry age flavor come through....any ideas or am I way off base? Feedback MUCH appreciated. Oh and I plan on tossing these on my refurbished Weber kettle over some lump AND this all goes down on Feb 5th so quick feedback is appreciated.

fatguyputter
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I live in Kansas, and we are spoiled with Dry Aged Beef, as we have many slaughter houses around the state. There is really no difference in cooking it compared to your regular grocery store steak. My advice is to cook it on a very hot fire to sear the crust, and be careful not to overcook. It is a wonderful piece of meat. Typically Strips cook fairly quickly depending on their thickness.

As far as the butter sauce, I think that sounds great. Maybe even consider a compound bleu cheese butter (the bleu cheese really compliments, but doesn't overpower the strip). But that is as far as I would go, because the flavor of the meat stands alone. Typically Strips cook fairly quickly depending on the thickness.

Enjoy! You are in for a treat. Just commenting on your thread is convincing me that I need to make a trip to the butcher. Good luck.

ksace
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Being a Kansas boy myself I don't know nuthin' about a New York Strip steak but I do love a Kansas City Strip! (Steak gentlemen, before you get out of control)

CarolinaQue
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Don't adjust the temps, but the time maybe. I've noticed that they cook faster than a standard store bought steak.

landarc
02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I find that a dry aged steak will usually cook faster. It will sear better as well.

Jaberwabee
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Yes they absolutely cook faster, so if you want rare to medium rare, cut your time.

DaveMW
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Cut the time - got it! Any suggestions on seasoning(s)? It is actually my "birthday meal" I am cooking. I thought I could cook a better steak for the money than I could get at any steak house in the area. (Cincinnati, OH; the key is for the money.) I know a GREAT steak house but a "steak" is $44/16 oz and for half that per pound of dry aged I thought I'd cook. Ideas on seasoning?

DaveMW
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
My apologies ksace! Steak it is. i lived in Montana for awhile so I am no city boy myself, just repeating what the sign at the grocer says. =)

MadCityJim
02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
The better the steak the less seasoning it needs. When I cook dry aged or prime grade steak; mostly I just use salt. I try to salt the meat 4-6 hours before I cook it. If I have a thick steak and I'm going for a heavy dark crust, I'll hit it with EVOO and salt again moments before it goes on the grill.

CarolinaQue
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm a fan of salt, pepper and some granulated garlic. With some of my red sauce (more like a fine salsa) to go with it.

Skidder
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm in the camp that agrees a good steak needs nothing. Salt at the most

ksace
02-02-2011, 07:51 PM
My apologies ksace! Steak it is. i lived in Montana for awhile so I am no city boy myself, just repeating what the sign at the grocer says. =)

No apology needed. I have always had a good time in my travels correcting restaurants when they get it wrong. We had a memorable Valentines dinner a few years ago correcting the entire staff at Ruth's Chris in San Antonio. Just one of my possibly annoying habits that I really enjoy.

Enjoy your steaks, sound fantastic.

Meat Burner
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree to keep it simple as well, very little seasoning and just a dab of plain old butter when off the grill would be my suggestion. If you want to taste the steak, don't add much or you won't know it is a good steak.

Mister Bob
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Just salt and pepper for me and a super hot grill. Hit it with a little butter right at the end and you're all set!

trza
02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
How about giving Alton Brown's Compound Butter Recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/compound-butter-recipe/index.html)a shot? Blue Cheese compound butter can be really good if you get high quality blue cheese and like it a lot. I think the subtleties of the herbs in this recipe might be more appropriate for some pallets.

You could also consider getting some good quality EVOO and over low heat simmer some garlic and shallot. Brush it on your steaks as they come off the grill (don't burn the garlic in the oil or on the grill or you're going to have a bitter, expensive steak).

DaveMW
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you for everyone that has made suggestion thus far they are appreciated. Please keep the ideas coming as i ponder what to do with the steaks.

AndyDuncan
02-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Salt and a little pepper. If it's good beef it won't need anything else. I like mine black and blue with a nice crust on the outside and rare-medium-rare in the middle.

Also, the reason they cook faster IIRC, and part of the reason they taste better, is that the dry aging process reduces the water content in the beef.

Phyphor
02-02-2011, 09:39 PM
As mentioned above. I use salt and pepper. Sometimes I will tenderize with a fork to get the spices into the meat.

Meat Burner
02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
As mentioned above. I use salt and pepper. Sometimes I will tenderize with a fork to get the spices into the meat.
Nothing wrong with doing that. Good suggestion for some cuts of meat. tks

fatguyputter
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I like a Chicago type Steak rub to help form the crust.

DaveMW
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I like a Chicago type Steak rub to help form the crust.
I realize that I am going to show my ignorance (I know it screams "rookie" but I am learning) but what is a Chicago style steak rub? Here is the scoop; I am Mr. average midwesterner that has always had a gas grill because I thought charcoal was too much trouble and I hated teh chemicl taste of briquets. I got pretty darn good at using my gas grill (briskets, ribs, steaks, birds etc) according to family & friends. I then ended up with a Weber Kettle and started grilling with that using lump charcoal....well, my world was transformed. I saw the light. I have now added a smoker (gift) and am addicted to expanding my knowledge of all things meat. If someone offered me an apprentice position hauling charcoal and cleaning grill grates I would do it just to learn more about cooking meat over lump or in a smoker by being around it. Luckily my wife supports my new addiction; afterall she gets to eat some good food. So again, I am a rookie.

DaveMW
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
No matter what I do I will report back and hopefully have some pron to share as well.

jkd9977
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Maybe a bit OT, but where are the Kansas boys getting dry aged steaks?

Bentley
02-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Don't adjust the temps, but the time maybe. I've noticed that they cook faster than a standard store bought steak.

Bingo!

gtsum
02-05-2011, 09:33 AM
sea salt and cracked pepper...maybe a touch of garlic powder on it..thats all you need for good beef..no more then mid rare either

FltEng
02-05-2011, 02:29 PM
The key to a nice crust is to make sure that the surface of the meat is bone dry; moisture will let the meat steam and not caramalize.

CarolinaQue
02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Nice call on that! I let mine sit in the fridge on a cooling rack for a couple of hours befor grilling so they are nice and dry. Same with chicken.

mwmac
02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
sea salt and cracked pepper...maybe a touch of garlic powder on it..thats all you need for good beef..no more then mid rare either

+1!! Coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper is tough to beat:thumb:

DaveMW
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
UPDATE: Bought the steaks today. At $20/lb I hope they taste as good as they look. I am going with Course Sea Salt and fresh Cracked Black Pepper and add a small piece of butter to the top while the steaks rest to add that fat to the meat. This is my birthday dinner so I will be having a good ol' fashioned steakhouse dinner by adding a Salt Crusted Grilled Baked Potato, Salad and Grilled Bread (Rustic Pugliese) with Tarragon Butter and a homemade Chocolate Chip Cheesecake for dessert. Oh and to accompany this will be a nice Petite Sirah from Napa Valley. I'll post pron.

Melrod59
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Excellent choice, Dave. I know you'll enjoy your birthday!

CarolinaQue
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds good!!! Except that price tag though!!! If you have a seperate fridge in the garage or basement, you could age your own for a fraction of that cost!!!

Enjoy it none the less, it's well deserved!!!

BTW...what's for dessert?

DaveMW
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Anyone following this thread I just posted pron at the link below. Thanks for all the help; greatly appreciated.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100219