Yes, it's another Umai Bag thread

Schubox

Knows what a fatty is.
It's been awhile since I have seen one on here so thought I would share my experience. I got some Umai bags as a Xmas gift and late February decided to give it a go.

Got a 16 lb. boneless prime rib at Costco. I wanted to start with something smaller/less expensive, but said the heck with it and went all in.

20210220_110323 in bag.jpg

I trimmed about a pound off one end so it would fit in the bag better and let it age in the kitchen fridge for 46 days. Here's how it looked when done, weighed 11 lbs.

20210408_184912 out of bag.jpg

Cut into 1 1/2" steaks and trimmed all the crust & fat. There was quite a bit more fat than I was expecting, the tail piece of fat was almost 1/4 of the steak.

20210408_195549 trimmings1.jpg

Got 9 steaks out of it with a total weight just under 7 lbs. A bit dissapointing but they looked and smelled fantastic. Here they are all ready for the freezer.

20210408_204933 wrapped.jpg

Kept one of them in the fridge and cooked it on the kettle with the Grill Grates. Used Montreal seasoning to keep it simple, baked potato and salad w/home made blue cheese dressing.

20210410_174506 rub.jpg

20210410_175706 (1) Grill.jpg

20210410_181230 Plated.jpg

Gotta say it was one fantastic steak!

(sorry about rotated pics, not sure why it rotates some but not others?)

I ended up with 46% yield from the 15 lb. prime grade ribeye which comes out to just over $30 per lb. OOF! Since I have 2 more bags I will definitely try it again. I'll just do it when I can get the meat on sale and hopefully have less fat on it. I'm getting an Anova soon so next cook will be soux vide! The process was easy and I recommend to anyone wanting to try dry aging, you just need to have a lot of patience waiting for it to finish!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Looks good.The very reason dry aged beef is so expensive,because of the shrinkage.Some like and some do not.It definitely changes the texture and flavor profile.

I have been very intrigued with dry aging but, have not pulled the trigger yet. You make an excellent case for doing so. Thanks for sharing

I’ve had similar yield. About 50% give or take after trimming.

On the last one I did, I did a bone in ribeye. What I liked on that one - once the difficulty of trimming the bones off was complete - was that there was zero trim on that side. Cover the bone ends with a wet paper towel so it doesn’t tear the bag

Still got 50% yield even after losing the heavy bones

My experience has been with Publix roasts when they go on sale at Xmas/Easter on the order of 5.99 to 6.99/lb. choice. I did 60days last time. It was a bit more flavor change than 45. Still can’t decide which I like the best. The tenderness is off the charts

I’ve had similar yield. About 50% give or take after trimming.

On the last one I did, I did a bone in ribeye. What I liked on that one - once the difficulty of trimming the bones off was complete - was that there was zero trim on that side. Cover the bone ends with a wet paper towel so it doesn’t tear the bag

Still got 50% yield even after losing the heavy bones

My experience has been with Publix roasts when they go on sale at Xmas/Easter on the order of 5.99 to 6.99/lb. choice. I did 60days last time. It was a bit more flavor change than 45. Still can’t decide which I like the best. The tenderness is off the charts

Thanks for this! I was thinking of trying bone in next time. I don't know if I can wait the 60 days haha. I'll have to try the 30 day and 60 day just so I know for sure which we like best.

Back