WSM Cold Smoker Mod:

Cold smoking is one of the simplest and easiest way to lay as many layers of smoke onto something as you need/want.
My cold smoking is done when the outside Temperature doe no longer exceed
79*F.
I will not use bowls/trays of ICE. Heck, i don't even have a fire to produce smoke. No Fire, no Heat. Lots of info. on smoke Generators some are pricy, some not so much. It was in this forum that i learned tp build my family of
UDS's (3). I spent a lot of time as a a non member on a German Grilling/smoking forum. Yes, i still speak, read and write the language. My background was in Tool and Die. I love and can work with my hands. I am not cheap by no means, if i can make it better i will. May sawdust tray will last up to 10/12 hrs. that cost me about $6.0

I make my own saw dust with a dedicated chain saw that only sees Vegetable Oil in the chain and bar lubricating tank. Plenty of different types of wood, hickory, wild cherry, all the fruit woods, apple, pear, peach, apricot, comes from a farm that has not used any spray for at least 30 to 40 years.

I will try to add some pics.
Material to make the saw dust trays, 6" x 36" Rain gutter guard.

Make me one!!! Awesome info

the advice your giving is priceless. thanx brother

You are welcome. Good smoked cheese (or butter) is so good, makes unique gifts and is actually inexpensive. But it's very easy to over-do the smoke or the heat of the smoker. It's fun to show off, but most everyone on this forum gladly share their mistakes to shorten the learning curve for others.

One of the goofiest smoke generators I've tried was the soldering iron trick, popular with BGE owners about 15 years ago. Use a new soldering iron (no lead build up), a tin can with a hole in the side, and a few more holes for venting, and chips. You run the cord out the intake vent in the egg. Can is full of chips, and soldering iron provides the heat. It worked pretty good, but needed a little fiddling along the way.

Cold smoking is one of the simplest and easiest way to lay as many layers of smoke onto something as you need/want.
My cold smoking is done when the outside Temperature doe no longer exceed
79*F.
I will not use bowls/trays of ICE. Heck, i don't even have a fire to produce smoke. No Fire, no Heat. Lots of info. on smoke Generators some are pricy, some not so much. It was in this forum that i learned tp build my family of
UDS's (3). I spent a lot of time as a a non member on a German Grilling/smoking forum. Yes, i still speak, read and write the language. My background was in Tool and Die. I love and can work with my hands. I am not cheap by no means, if i can make it better i will. May sawdust tray will last up to 10/12 hrs. that cost me about $6.0

I make my own saw dust with a dedicated chain saw that only sees Vegetable Oil in the chain and bar lubricating tank. Plenty of different types of wood, hickory, wild cherry, all the fruit woods, apple, pear, peach, apricot, comes from a farm that has not used any spray for at least 30 to 40 years.

I will try to add some pics.
Material to make the saw dust trays, 6" x 36" Rain gutter guard.

That is a wonderful design! The smoke looks perfect. Just curious, do you ever light both ends?

That is a wonderful design! The smoke looks perfect. Just curious, do you ever light both ends?

i ordered the A-Maze-N maze pellet and some bbquers delight pellets. should all be here this saturday. dealing with Candy @ bbquers delight was awesome. that woman knows this industry and products very well.

ill start the cold smoke this tuesday after a 7 day curing.(7 days cure/water rinse and 2 days in the fridge uncovered). the last bacon i did was a wet brine for 5 days and hot smoked. taste was decent but the bacon is chewy. hopefully, a cold smoke will have better results

Generate smoke in a smokey joe, have a duct going from lid vent on smokey joe to bottom vent of wsm, bam! Cold smoker.

Back