WSM 22" Daisy Wheel

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Bill
So I bought a WSM 22" on Monday. Got home and started putting it together and the lid wouldn't fit right...body was warped. Brought it back and got another. Went together great and ran half a load of charcoal in the Hunsaker Vortex basket to get it smoked in. Was awesome. Was able to hold temps where I wanted with nothing in it and produced some good smoke. Now here's the issue. I closed all the daisy wheels but the top was quite tight. I had to use my high temp gloves to grab and close. It shut down nicely, but now the top daily wheel is loose. So loose that I can tap it with my index finger and it will go from fully closed to open...that's with just a light tap. And the rivet is loose now. I'm going to run it tonight and see if it tightens up when I heat is up. I don't care if it's loose when its cold, but want it tighter when I'm adjusting. I called Weber and they said they would send me a new lid. I told them I would cook on it first and see what happens. Do you think I should be concerned that the rivet going to keep getting looser? Thanks

I know its new but you could always replace the rivet with a screw and self locking nut, then you can set the tension like you want.

I would go with a new lid and sell the old one or keep it as a spare (UDS lid?)

Open it, and leave it there. Mine has been 100% open since 2005. It's pretty much sealed in place by the smoke by now (not that I want to move it). You control the heat with the bottom vents in a WSM.

Also call weber. They will send you a new dome top assembly. They have great warranty service.

Back