WSM 22.5": Foiled 18" Clay Saucer in foiled Water Pan

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
I am going to order 23.62" wide extra strong aluminum foil, but till I get that one, I only have standard foil, which is very thin and only 11.81" wide.

It has been suggested to place two sheets of foil above each other, then bend over the length side several times, and open the top sheet to get nearly double the width. Since that was still not enough for foil a 18" clay saucer and the WSM 22.5" water pan, I used that method with three sheets, and it really worked.

Foiling the 18" clay saucer
1_clay_saucer.jpg

Foiling the underside of the water pan
2_water_pan_underside.jpg

Placing the 18" clay saucer in the water pan, which pretty much is a perfect fit like a lid
3_clay_saucer_in_water_pan.jpg

Placing a double layered triple sectioned foil on top
4_finished_with_top_layer.jpg

The first cook with this setup worked out just fine, but I really can't await to get that extra wide extra strength foil.

As it has been suggested to get a 16" clay saucer for the WSM 22.5" water pan, and having tried both, I can tell that 18" for the saucer is the way to go, because this way the bottom of the clay saucer does not touch the bottom of the water pan, and it is easier to foil.

After two cooks with water in the water pan, and one cook with this foiled clay saucer in the foiled water pan without water I will not go back to using water, as this setup is much easier to handle. Although the WSM is designed to be a water smoker, the water does not seem to have any influence on the product.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Interesting, but why do you foil the bottom of the water pan?

Oh, OK. What happens if it goes black? (Sorry, if these are stupid questions!)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. I like to keep mine shinny and new. You do not have to do it. If you wrap it in foil it is a breeze to clean.

Back