Workhorse Pits

I have the 1975 but not on a trailer. It does a great job, but it's a beast to move around, and lifting the lid is difficult for some. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a 1969. 30 is about the most I cook for so the 1975 is a bit of overkill for me. If you need the capacity though, it's a sweet smoker. I would not hesitate to buy Workhorse again.

No experience here with the Workhorse 1975t, but to describe an alternative to a trailer-mounted smoker, I have a 60"x24" offset on golf cart wheels that I can load onto my 5'x10' utility trailer when I need to take it somewhere. This offers some advantages over a trailer-mounted smoker:

* Having a smoker on golf cart wheels allows me to very easily move/relocate the smoker when it's not trailered up. When cooking at home, I cook on my back paver patio and then roll the smoker into my basement for storage.

* Transporting the smoker on a utility trailer gives me plenty of extra storage space to haul my complete remote cooking setup, so room to move lots of extras like ice chests, tables, chairs, firewood, propane tank and torch, etc.

* My utility trailer has a spare tire in case I need that, which I don't think comes with the 1975t.

* I can load/unload my smoker on the utility trailer by myself, using a hand winch setup I configured (similar to winching a boat up on a boat trailer), so loading and unloading is no problem.

Hear good things...

I don't have one, never seen one in person, BUT...when I was researching my "forever" smoker, it was definitely in the running.

So far, I have never heard a bad word on them...their build and performance reviews seem to be outstanding.

About the only negatives I hear are the LONG wait times....and the high prices.

If you have deep pockets and lots of patience, it may be the one for you.

I found a cheaper option, 3/8" thick steel all the way around...good reviews...Blue Smoke Smokers. A few of us on here have them...base on those starts $1700.

But it isn't as pretty as the Workhorse Pits....if you are leaning workhorse, I've not heard anything bad about them in my research.

Just hopped over to Workhorse pits' site the other day and their lead time is 195 days or sooner? So...6.5 months or so?

I ordered a 1969 just over a year ago and got an email today saying they would be loading it for shipping next week. When I gave them my money, I expected to have my 1969 in November.

I can't speak yet about the quality of the product, but I would fault them for over selling and under delivering when it comes to the time it takes to get a cooker to your door.

If anyone at Workhorse is reading this, as a business practice, especially when you require payment in full up front, when it comes to wait times it would be much better to under sell and over deliver.

I ordered a 1969 just over a year ago and got an email today saying they would be loading it for shipping next week. When I gave them my money, I expected to have my 1969 in November.

I can't speak yet about the quality of the product, but I would fault them for over selling and under delivering when it comes to the time it takes to get a cooker to your door.

If anyone at Workhorse is reading this, as a business practice, especially when you require payment in full up front, when it comes to wait times it would be much better to under sell and over deliver.

One big issue I have is the full payment upfront then a non guaranteed delivery time. I’ve ordered multiple high end smokers from the top names in the industry and never had to pay in full upfront

I've had my 1975 for about two years and I highly recommend it. There's a lot of thought that went into the design and how it drafts - you can build a big fire and it still has a very small hot spot. I waited 7 months for mine. There are dealers that sell them now, so maybe check out if one is close to you.

No experience here with the Workhorse 1975t, but to describe an alternative to a trailer-mounted smoker, I have a 60"x24" offset on golf cart wheels that I can load onto my 5'x10' utility trailer when I need to take it somewhere. This offers some advantages over a trailer-mounted smoker:

* Having a smoker on golf cart wheels allows me to very easily move/relocate the smoker when it's not trailered up. When cooking at home, I cook on my back paver patio and then roll the smoker into my basement for storage.

* Transporting the smoker on a utility trailer gives me plenty of extra storage space to haul my complete remote cooking setup, so room to move lots of extras like ice chests, tables, chairs, firewood, propane tank and torch, etc.

* My utility trailer has a spare tire in case I need that, which I don't think comes with the 1975t.

* I can load/unload my smoker on the utility trailer by myself, using a hand winch setup I configured (similar to winching a boat up on a boat trailer), so loading and unloading is no problem.

for all these reasons I would do a golf cart setup over a trailer. but i see why some might want the trailer setup also, just not a need for me and the golf cart is a touch cheaper on an already expensive setup.

When configured similarly, the patio and trailer 1975's cost similar money.

Regarding the trailer vs. non-trailer options:
*) trailers need a tag if pullet on a public road
*) trailers take more space to store
*) trailers are easier to roll on soft ground
*) golf cart wheels look better on a patio!
*) golf cart wheels aren't a patio space hog

For something to pull with a small car or SUV, the 1975T is a great option IMHO. It has enough capacity for large family events so, ask yourself if you really need more room before buying an even larger smoker!

I have the 1975 but not on a trailer. It does a great job, but it's a beast to move around, and lifting the lid is difficult for some. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a 1969. 30 is about the most I cook for so the 1975 is a bit of overkill for me. If you need the capacity though, it's a sweet smoker. I would not hesitate to buy Workhorse again.

I could be mistaken but, I think the 1975 is the only one with a 24" diameter cook chamber with the others being 20".

Even in a short smoker, the 24" diameter, to me, offers real advantages. With tall stuff like chickens or turkeys, the extra height means I have better smoke flow and drafting. 20" diameter models tend to crowd or touch the sides if I load them normally for myself so, even smoke and heat can be a challenge.

If your thing is wings, sausages, and such then this difference isn't significant. While 20" pipe is cheaper than 24", the cost difference isn't significant either so, it seems like the wrong place to economize personally.

Door is heavy. Large traditional hot spot.

I'm undecided on if I'm an offset guy. But they are interesting and I pay attention to the market and keep a "this is what I would buy" brand in my mind. The WP has been up there for a long time, that or the Franklin. This week that changed and I'm leaning more to the Goldee's.

I almost got a 1975 but the lack of having a lip to prevent grease going into the firebox made me buy elsewhere. Also, the lead time was bad

Door is heavy. Large traditional hot spot.

I'm undecided on if I'm an offset guy. But they are interesting and I pay attention to the market and keep a "this is what I would buy" brand in my mind. The WP has been up there for a long time, that or the Franklin. This week that changed and I'm leaning more to the Goldee's.

The easy hot spot fix if it is a problem for you is piece of flat steel with rolled edges to spread the firebox heat out some. Check older posts in the forum for dimensions.

I've had my 1975 on the wagon wheel cart option for a couple of years. Still love it. Sid Post made some good comments in regards to trailer versus a wagon option. I keep it in my garage and wheel it out for cooking so storage size was important to me. This moves great on pavement. The door is certainly heavy. Just something to consider. Love the way it cooks though.

Attachments

• Smoker 7.jpg
    Smoker 7.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Smoker 6.jpg
    Smoker 6.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Smoker food.jpg
    Smoker food.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
I've had my 1975 on the wagon wheel cart option for a couple of years. Still love it. Sid Post made some good comments in regards to trailer versus a wagon option. I keep it in my garage and wheel it out for cooking so storage size was important to me. This moves great on pavement. The door is certainly heavy. Just something to consider. Love the way it cooks though.

Your smoker looks great! Really nice pictures too!

Back