Work Sharp Ken Onion

P

pharp

I just got the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition today. Wow. I have no experience with sharpening (other than ruining a knife on one of those table top pull through sharpeners). Honestly, I was intimidated by it. I figured it looked easy enough for someone that knew what they were doing, but I didn't.

I finally ordered it because I could not find a good alternative. I found one place that does sharpening but it is about a 30 minute drive. I honestly didn't mind because I like supporting local small businesses and I figured why not let a pro do it. They did a solid job, but I noticed my knives didn't seem really "precise." I do not know a lot about knives but in my opinion it seemed like everything I gave them was sharpened like a broadsword. I asked if he could do an angle (like I had read about on here) and he said his machine only had "one angle."

So I bought this. I literally did nothing but follow the quick guide and I sharpened 3 knives in about 10 minutes. My Wusthof slicer, a boning knife made by a local maker, and a $3 kitchen knife I have had for 10 years.

This thing is truly awesome. I would have never known about it if not for the Brethren, so thanks!

I have the older model and really like it. Just be careful with the tips on your knives. It is absurdly easy to round off a tip with these.

Yep! they are truly awesome devices but takes practice to know when to ease off the belt as you finish each pull through.

love mine also... It has been the cause of some great stitches and scars lol

I was having so much fun sharpening my knives when I bought mine, I literally spent about two hours playing until my hand started to cramp up.

Then later my father-in-law kept poking me on the shoulder as I was slicing steak (One of those who want's direct eye contact when he talks to you). I must say that a sharp knife cut really does heal faster! :p

This farking thread cost me 70 bucks! :doh:

...but really I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now, and this was the push that got me there. It arrives today. :whoo:

where did you get one for $70?

^^^Amazon - the non-Ken Onion version. Just realized this was one of those "multi-tasking" purchases (i,.e. doing something else when I made the purchase). I'm gonna check out what the differences are between the 2 and see if it's worth paying more for the KO version - looks to be about $130 on Amazon.

Yep! they are truly awesome devices but takes practice to know when to ease off the belt as you finish each pull through.

I have the older model and really like it. Just be careful with the tips on your knives. It is absurdly easy to round off a tip with these.

I find that stopping the motor before the blade tip goes through the belt works well to avoid rounding the tip. Kinda like skydiving free fall - it's the last 1/4" that hurts the most. :crazy:

Love mine also! Before I got it, I always kept stalling on keeping my knives sharp, since doing it with other systems takes so long and I just don't have any extra time. Now, I have insanely sharp knives in no time flat! Plus, it's a power tool, so it's fun to do instead of tedious!

Back