Whole Pig on a Rotisserie - to baste or not to baste?

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I'll be cooking a pig on a rotisserie this weekend and am wondering if I should baste or not. I did last year (a recipe from Chris Lily's Big Bob Gibson book}, and it's not clear to me what the benefits were from doing it. I'm thinking I might just rub the skin down with salt - maybe a little oil? and just go with that. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. I'll be cooking with oak burned to coals.

Thanks in advance!

And - any Brethren in the area are welocme to come eat pig with us - PM me for info - it'll be Sunday after 3pm. There'll be some other Brethren folk there too. And - don't forget the SoCal Brethren Bash on October 7 at Moose's spot. This weekend can be an opportunity to start stretching out the stomach for the Bash.

gtr I would recommend just start roasting and once it starts sweating then put on your seasoning it stays on the skin that way. I apply about once an hr. until finished and increase the heat the last 20 min. to really crisp up the skin. basting for me just softened the skin you want a good chicharron.

Back