Whole Packer Brisket, how small is too small?

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm planning on smoking a packer brisket in the next few weeks and I will be getting it from a local high end Butcher shop in my area. They have said they can get them as small as 6-7 pounds and based on the price (in the eight-ish dollar range, for a rating of prime or higher) I can't afford to get a 12 pounder. I've been reading Aaron Franklin's book and applying his "use the best quality products you can get" line of thinking so I can justify the higher price. I see most people that are doing whole packers recommend nothing smaller than ten pounds, so I'm not sure what to do. Anyone have experience with 6-7 pound whole packers?

I wish that I could offer some insight. However the smallest I have ever cooked is 15 pounds. More often than not, I go for the 20+ pounders. Maybe others can offer some insight.

My Butcher has flats that weigh that much, but the whole packers are considerably more substantial in weight and at a much lower price.

But maybe your butcher has a source for smaller packers. Consider comparing a smaller 6 pound brisket at $8.00 a pound, vs a 15 pound packer at $3.89 a pound.

Keep us posted.

10-13 pound full packer. Thick floppy flat with white soft marbled fat point.

Cooking a small brisket is exactly like cooking a big brisket---only smaller

Should be able to find for 299-499#

I'd go Wallymart Select in 12-16 lb range for $2.49/lb myself................:heh:
Then I'd take the savings and get me a 10 lb Enhanced Pork Butt for $1.49/lb...........
Then I'd hit Wallymarts Deli for seaweed infused Ham slices. (HEB told me Wallymarts Deli meat has SeaWeed in it that's why it's cheaper - I said " Cool - you know them sissy types pay big $ to eat seaweed wrapped bait at them sushi bars......."

I have only seen a packer below 9 pounds once, and it cooked up fine. Anytime I am being told the brisket is 6 to 7 pounds, I assume it is just a flat, and have never been wrong.

I like to cook 12-14 pound packers once trimmed. But, have cooked one 9 pounder and a couple of 10 pounders. Same principals apply. Things happen a little faster.

I've not smoked a full packer that small. The size and price are making me wonder if it's a special breed?

If it's not Waygu, that price is robbery.

Yeah, that's ridiculous even if it was just a flat which is always priced a bit higher than a whole packer. Per the original question, I've never smoked a whole packer less than 10 lbs. Usually not the best quality from what I've seen. Like to go 13 - 16 lbs. but I haven't bought one in many months. Too expensive, but looks like prices are starting to come down closer to the $2.50/lb level for whole packers 'round here.

I have cooked a lot of briskets under 10LBS. They cook like a bigger one just a little quicker. Look for a uniformly thick flat with good marbling. Being prime you should see some good marbling even in the flat. These pics are from either a 7LB or 8LB prime. I cooked 2 that day and cannot tell from the pics which one is which. If prime was $8 per pound here I would cook a lower grade. Just not willing to pay that price. The top pic is the notch marking the grain of the flat. Don't be afraid of the small ones.
20140712_093346.jpg
20140712_204344.jpg

I have cooked a lot of briskets under 10LBS. They cook like a bigger one just a little quicker. Look for a uniformly thick flat with good marbling. Being prime you should see some good marbling even in the flat. These pics are from either a 7LB or 8LB prime. I cooked 2 that day and cannot tell from the pics which one is which. If prime was $8 per pound here I would cook a lower grade. Just not willing to pay that price. The top pic is the notch marking the grain of the flat. Don't be afraid of the small ones.
View attachment 114887
View attachment 114886
:hungry:

$8/lb is super high if I'm reading right. For a 7lb-er at $8/lb is $56 which is higher than a 12lb packer at much less than $8/lb.

Anyway I've actually cooked a 7lb whole packer. Here are all 7lbs of it.

20130902_185709.jpg

I like smaller briskets since they take less time and it cuts down on leftovers. The last time I was at Sam's I thought about getting a flat, but wound up with an 8lb packer. I don't think I have the skills to cook a flat properly (not that I have packer skills either) plus I love the fatty point meat.

This is a small mom and pop butcher shop that I like. Everything I've ever gotten from them has been super flavorful, so I'm hoping for the same with the brisket. As most have stated, I don't know if I've ever seen a packer that was under 10 lbs, so when I heard the 6-7 range I started to wonder if he misunderstood me and was talking about a flat. I'll post pics when I do smoke it regardless of where I buy it from. Thanks for the input.

I used to get 5-7 lbs packers. They came trimmed up already.

Dont bother with them anymore, i just put the leftovers to use or freeze.

He has since gotten greedy and brisket is $6/lbs. For $8 lbs i would just buy ribeye steaks instead

Back