Who is this woman, and what did you do with my wife?

btcg

Babbling Farker
Geez louise... the wife shocked me last week when she helped cook my Labor Day brisket. Of course, one writes off occurrances like these as mere anomalies. The wife wants to help? How many Elvis sightings can the common man observe?

But she was sincere. And frankly, it had been a while since I had pulled out the special equipment (that's what she said):

1.jpg

But there it is: my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie (w/ring). Sweet eh? It's been more than a year since i cooked with it. In fact, doing some calculations, it's been nearly a year since I used my Weber. The reader will forgive me: I've been under the spell of my Backwoods... and forgot how sweet a Weber can be.

And let me say, a few hours into the cook, I was in total awe of my Weber 22.5 kettle. I'd forgotten: if you know what you're doing, you do not need a Stoker, Auber, or Guru.

So, as easy as !-2-3... I had my Weber up to temp, layin down the TBS (along with some wonderful Pecan), and I was dialed in to a constant 300 degrees. No guru, no nothing. I'd forgotten what a machine the Weber truly was. But, what separated this cook was another detail I'd forgotten:

the Weber is a machine!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Look at that last picture: YUM!!!!!

Did the rest of the fava beans too. They came out something like this:

5.jpg

They were pretty darn good, too.

So the wife shocked me. After we got cleaned up, and prepped for
"Breaking Bad" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm", the wifey had this little question:

"What's the biggest size you can get into that Weber rotisserie?"

Me: "Probably a turkey. In fact, I'm, sure a turkey will fit. That's why I offered to do last Thanksgivinging's turkey on it . You turned the offer down, remember?"

Her: "Yeah, I did, but I didn't know it could turn out like tonights dinner did."

Me (and feeling pretty satisfied by her admitting this): "That rotisserie is pretty cool, eh?"

Her: "It's VERY cool. I think Thanksgiving dinner would be wonderful on it, and I'll help. It looks like it would be fun to cook on it."

It's been nearly 24 hours, and I'm still a bit punchy. Who is this woman?

Very nice! And congrats on converting the wife! My wife hates helping me with BBQ. But, the last time I asked for her help was when I was moving around a 125 pound hog at 5:00am in the morning. She really hated that and, to be fair, a hog that size was a bit too much for her to be pulling on and she didn't appreciate having to get up at 5am. :laugh:

picture.php

Bro,

You've gotta come over in the next few weeks, and I'll cool you and your wifey some roresserie chicken. You will LOVE it, I guarantee it. Amazing rig there. You'll LOVE it!

now just get her to do her own cooking on it and the smoker and either you can get more sleep or you can give her your smoker and kettle and buy new bigger smoker and kettle for yourself

Man, I really need to get a rotisserie (and a wife?). That is a beautiful bird and while I am sure skill in cooking was the real difference, I sure could use a rotiserrie

That's great. Now, sign her up and start competing in the Throwdowns! :becky:
Guerry and I could really use your help on Team Husbands. We're getting creamed.

Bloody Fantastic!

Nice conversion there! I thought your wife could not stand salt and smoke...and NOW she's asken you to pull out the "special equipment"!!!:shocked:

Man, you are on a roll!:wink:

Cheeers!

Bill

Congrats on converting the wife and I have got to say that Chicken looks freaking AWESOME it is making me hungry for some yardbird

That's a whole lotta beautiful right there! My poor ole 22" has been relegated to being a burn down pit. I have a few other sizes to cook on, but I'd love to get a rotis & I think that's only available for the 22. Those Weber kettles are simple, elegant and just plain old fantastic. No home should be without one. Great job on the chix & winning over the woman! :thumb:

Bloody Fantastic!

Nice conversion there! I thought your wife could not stand salt and smoke...and NOW she's asken you to pull out the "special equipment"!!!:shocked:

Man, you are on a roll!:wink:

Cheeers!

Bill

Bill,

She still cannot tolerate the salt, but herbs, as long as they're not overwhelming, are okay by her. I'll generally make her a separate potion.

We discussed the smoke, and what I've found is that she's fine with fruitwoods. It's the heavier woods (especially hickory) that she doesn't care for. If we do the Thanksgiving turkey in the Weber with the rotisserie, I'll be using pecan, apple, or cherry. Don't want to do anything to irk her now that she's comimg around.

Appreciate your kind words as to the chicken, especially since you're a bit of an expert on em.

Very cool post, food turned out great... But I would keep a close eye on her. She maybe a Alain fill in as your wife. They maybe observing your BBQ skills to better them in some way... Just saying.

my wife used to say she hated bbq, until our neighbor chopped down three big cherry trees and i "helped" them by taking their wood for them, suckers! anyway, with the cherry wood she has been nearly begging me to bbq at least once a week. fruitwood saved my marriage

Back