Which size Camp Chef griddle?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I bought a used Camp Chef Tahoe 3 burner propane stove at a church fundraiser - now I want to add a nice flat top steel griddle for doing breakfast when we camp (I'll no doubt be helping at the Scout breakfasts as well as family stuff).

The heavy steel griddles come in one-, two- and three-burner sizes. I was originally going to get the 2 burner size so I could keep the third burner open for something else (boiling water?) but the more I think about it I think that anytime I'm going to be getting out this big unit it's likely to be a time when I want /need to cook for a lot of people. Seems like I'll be more likely to benefit from the extra griddle space than from having a free burner for something else.

I know there is a trade off here, but for those who have stoves like this one or the Blackstone, which setup seems more useful to you? Which do you think you would use more?

Buy one that uses all the space you have. If you need to boil water or use a burner for something else you can buy a butane fuel single burner for under thirty bucks

^^^^ Yep, what he said. You'll love having the space when you need/want it, and you'll curse yourself if you need it and don't have it.................if that makes sense:shock:.

KC

Regardless of the size you choose, check out your local flea market, prior to purchase. Around here, best retail price, for the 36" griddle was $136. I found an unused one at the flea market for $80. Thing looks exactly like a Camp Chef griddle, but is much cheaper.

Matt

For what it';s worth, I was in the same boat as your are now. I have a 3 burner stove and went with a 3 burner griddle. Cooked some burgers on it a couple of weeks ago and wanted some creamed corn as well. Put the corn in a pan, put the pan right on top of the griddle and in short order, it was bubbling. I had to turn the burner underneath down to keep from scorching it. Don't know how well this would work say if you wanted to deep fry some fish or anything like that, but should work fine for most things you might cook in a pan. Or a coffee pot.

The 3 burner Pro Griddle that fits the Tahoe is the SG100. It looks like it's on sale right now at Cabelas for $101.99 +tax if you have store near you.

If not, OpticsPlanet has the best price shipped if you can score a 12% off coupon. Go up to their website and sign up for their email list. They will send an activation email offering a $5 coupon. Ignore it completely. In a day or two, they will send you another activation email. If you click on this one, they'll give you a 12% off coupon.

Current price there is $123.99 with no tax and free shipping. 12% off brings cost down to $109.11

Great deal for $109.00 plus free shipping...

For what it';s worth, I was in the same boat as your are now. I have a 3 burner stove and went with a 3 burner griddle. Cooked some burgers on it a couple of weeks ago and wanted some creamed corn as well. Put the corn in a pan, put the pan right on top of the griddle and in short order, it was bubbling. I had to turn the burner underneath down to keep from scorching it. Don't know how well this would work say if you wanted to deep fry some fish or anything like that, but should work fine for most things you might cook in a pan. Or a coffee pot.

The 3 burner Pro Griddle that fits the Tahoe is the SG100. It looks like it's on sale right now at Cabelas for $101.99 +tax if you have store near you.

If not, OpticsPlanet has the best price shipped if you can score a 12% off coupon. Go up to their website and sign up for their email list. They will send an activation email offering a $5 coupon. Ignore it completely. In a day or two, they will send you another activation email. If you click on this one, they'll give you a 12% off coupon.

Current price there is $123.99 with no tax and free shipping. 12% off brings cost down to $109.11

Thanks all -- you guys have a wealth of knowledge and I always appreciate the information you provide!

i have had the two burner griddle for many years if i need more room i just throw my large cast pan on the open burner. i can't give up the third burner. most of the time it's for the coffee pot or my egg pan. for me it works great

New question - is heavy duty steel preferable to cast iron when it comes to a griddle?

I love my cast iron skillet and dutch ovens but steel seems better for a griddle like this.

For those who are interested, Cabela's sale price is hard to beat right now. Even though there is no store here in Southern California (and never may be, I'm afraid) I ordered it last night online. For orders over $99 they had a free shipping special. It turns out that there is an $8 surcharge for heavy items that isn't waived by the promotion, so I got mine for $101.99 + $8 = $109.99.

I think that promo ended at midnight last night but it was replaced by one that gives $5 flat rate shipping for orders over $99, so even if you missed yesterday's promotional shipping deal, that just takes the delivered griddle cost to $114.99. Its a few bucks more than the OpticsPlanet price but I haven't received my 12% off coupon yet and wasn't sure when I would get it.

Can't wait to do some carne asada tacos on this baby! And breakfast!

Last edited:
For those who are interested, Cabela's sale price is hard to beat right now. Even though there is no store here in Southern California (and never may be, I'm afraid) I ordered it last night online. For orders over $99 they had a free shipping special. It turns out that there is an $8 surcharge for heavy items that isn't waived by the promotion, so I got mine for $101.99 + $8 = $109.99.

I think that promo ended at midnight last night but it was replaced by one that gives $5 flat rate shipping for orders over $99, so that just takes the delivered griddle cost to $114.99. Its a few bucks more than the OpticsPlanet price but I haven't received my 12% off coupon yet and wasn't sure when I would get it.

Can't wait to do some carne asada tacos on this baby! And breakfast!

Tricky, did you get the first email asking you to click to confirm ? And then the follow up email with this as a Sujbect line: "Important Notice Regarding Your Email Subscription"

And in the body of the email, it says this:

"[FONT=&quot]Normally when you confirm, we send you a $5 off coupon... but since this is a special request, we'll send you a special one-time coupon for [FONT=&quot]12% off your next order* of $50 or more[/FONT]! [/FONT] "

??

Tricky, did you get the first email asking you to click to confirm ? And then the follow up email with this as a Sujbect line: "Important Notice Regarding Your Email Subscription"

And in the body of the email, it says this:

"[FONT=&quot]Normally when you confirm, we send you a $5 off coupon... but since this is a special request, we'll send you a special one-time coupon for [FONT=&quot]12% off your next order* of $50 or more[/FONT]! [/FONT] "

??

I got the first email which had the following re. line: Please Confirm Your Subscription & Save On Your Next Order

I haven't done anything with that (although I did open the email and read it, but didn't click on the confirm) and am still waiting for the second email. Its been a couple of days since I got the first email.

But I decided not to wait, since my Cabelas price was basically the same price as the OpticsPlanet price.

I got the first email which had the following re. line: Please Confirm Your Subscription & Save On Your Next Order

I haven't done anything with that (although I did open the email and read it, but didn't click on the confirm) and am still waiting for the second email. Its been a couple of days since I got the first email.

But I decided not to wait, since my Cabelas price was basically the same price as the OpticsPlanet price.

Gotcha.

I also took advantage of the Cabelas sale going on right now. Plus I also had a spend $150 get $20 off so I just picked up a couple extra items I would have bought sooner or later anyways to get the additional money off. It looks like they still have it going on but I would think it would be ending soon.

Back