Which cooker to buy?

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
I already have a Primo XL, Gateway drum and a Pk grill.

Want another cooker but I don`t know which one to get.
Thinking about selling the Pk since I don`t use it much compared to Primo and Gateway.

Our porch isn`t that big and my wife hope that I can get a cooker that is not too big.

Have thought about a Big green Egg but I dont know how the BGE is compared to the Primo. You can cook direct and indirect with the Primo (cast iron divider) and I really like that and this is an advantage that BGE does not have without the deflector plate.

I bought a Traeger Timberline last year and it was very juicy but I really like charcoal and wood so I sold it to buy something else.

Hope to get some help here:)

First off, I LOVE your lineup. I have the Primo and Gateway. I've thought about the PK, but i feel like it most likely produces the same as the Primo. The Primo and BGE are going to cook the same. In my opinion, the only fuel you're missing is pellet. It provides a different wood profile. Also, it's set and forget. So, you can let it run and do other things. Also, with size being a concern, you can certainly find a cooker that will fit where you need it.

I already have a Primo XL, Gateway drum and a Pk grill.

Want another cooker but I don`t know which one to get.
Thinking about selling the Pk since I don`t use it much compared to Primo and Gateway.

Our porch isn`t that big and my wife hope that I can get a cooker that is not too big.

Have thought about a Big green Egg but I dont know how the BGE is compared to the Primo. You can cook direct and indirect with the Primo (cast iron divider) and I really like that and this is an advantage that BGE does not have without the deflector plate.

I bought a Traeger Timberline last year and it was very juicy but I really like charcoal and wood so I sold it to buy something else.

Hope to get some help here:)

What exactly are you looking for that your other cookers don't provide?

Hard to make a specific recommendation without more info, except perhaps to suggest an offset. Nothing quite compares to meat smoked over a wood fire, vs a charcoal smoker. It certainly was a game changer for me...

I’m satisfied with the Primo and the Gateway. The PK has to go. Need a bigger cooker than the PK.

I was satisfied with the results when it came to tenderness,set and forget + the control you have with the app but I did not like the flavor. It does not taste as much with charcoal and that the minimum.

I will not buy a pellets cooker. For now I will stick with charcoal as my main fuel.
Love the Primo and wouldn’t mind having another but it would be cool to get something else.

So the next cooker needs to be able the do what the primo does.

I live in Norway and we don’t have that many options to choose from. I bought the gateway from the Netherlands. We do have Kamado Joe, Big green egg, Primo, a few pellets brands, Hasty-bake, and a few Argentinian style cookers.

The cheapest would be to get a ceramic cooker but which one should I pick?

My English is not that good and it’s hard to explain what I what + we are not that blessed to have 100000 different brands that you have in the US. You are so lucky:)

70-80% of all Norwegians only use their cookers (mostly gas)to cook hotdogs,hamburger,steaks or pork chops.
That’s probably why we don’t have that much to choose from because most people would not buy another cooker except Weber gas grill:(

How much grilling do you do vs smoking? That might help us narrow it down for you.

That said, a Weber 22 or 26 inch kettle might be worth considering. They are the ultimate workhorses and can grill and smoke with equal ease.

I’d probably steer you to the Hasty Bake or one of the Argentinian cookers, just because they are different than what you have. If you do get another Komodo, then pick whichever one you want. Those three are all good quality and can’t go wrong with them.

Do you have any options for a gravity fed or Insulated Vertical Cabinet (IVC) smoker--excellent set and forget options using charcoal with some small wood chunks.

Great to see a brethren from Norway! My family came from Kabelvag many generations ago and have always wanted to visit.

If you like the set and forget but want charcoal, the Masterbuilt 1050, or 800 is out there. Hasty bake, Assasin, and LSG all make charcoal pits bigger than a Kamado. I know the Assasin has the pit master IQ adapter if you want a set and forget. I, personally, am looking into the PK 360 or Weber 26.

Does anyone here have the masterbuilt 1050? Is it any good? How’s the taste compared to other charcoal grills? I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems nice but this is something I would like to try before buying.

Would be great to get some more tips on other grills also:)

My English is not that good and it’s hard to explain . . .(

Your English is better than most of the American high school students I taught (I'm retired now) and 1000% better than my Norwegian!

Does anyone here have the masterbuilt 1050? Is it any good? How’s the taste compared to other charcoal grills? I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems nice but this is something I would like to try before buying.

Would be great to get some more tips on other grills also:)

I haven’t cooked on it, but I put my hands on it for a while. At 800$ US, I passed. Quality and size definitely not worth 800 bucks. I would look elsewhere for the money.

Here in Europe it cost much more than that. Everything that’s made in the us (or has to be shipped from the us) cost twice of what you pay.
We have to pay for the shipping and tax and it’s not cheap. The masterbuilt 1050 would cost (included shipping and tax) around $1700.

That’s why I want to know more and be sure about the purchase that I’m making:)

Primo oval xl all in one cost around $1800 in the us if I’m not mistaken. The exact same here cost $3313.

I have been looking at a smokers that I really want but it’s around $3000-4000 in the Us.
Because of the size and weight I’d be looking at around $7000-8000 for just that exact one. The prices here are insane but that’s the only way so if you want something else than a Weber 22" kettle this is the price you have to pay.

Here in Europe it cost much more than that. Everything that’s made in the us (or has to be shipped from the us) cost twice of what you pay.
We have to pay for the shipping and tax and it’s not cheap. The masterbuilt 1050 would cost (included shipping and tax) around $1700.

That’s why I want to know more and be sure about the purchase that I’m making:)

Primo oval xl all in one cost around $1800 in the us if I’m not mistaken. The exact same here cost $3313.

I have been looking at a smokers that I really want but it’s around $3000-4000 in the Us.
Because of the size and weight I’d be looking at around $7000-8000 for just that exact one. The prices here are insane but that’s the only way so if you want something else than a Weber 22" kettle this is the price you have to pay.

In that case, he (double hockey sticks LL) no the Masterbuilt is not worth it at all. I don’t know what shipping will be, but look into an Assassin 48” charcoal grill with v/pan. Can smoke, grill direct or indirect, etc. I don’t know if he ships international. 975 for grill and 50 for the v/pan. I’m sure if you get in touch with Jeff, he can get you an accurate quote and all the info. I went this route after looking at the Masterbuilt. It was one of the cheapest charcoal grills/smokers I could find that still met the quality I wanted. Jeff Conley is a good dude and he won’t steer you wrong. I’m sure there are other quality grills but none as cheap as his. At least that I could find...
http://www.assassin-smokers.com/charcoal-grills/

Back