What's your best Brisket?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
Over the past couple months I have been obsessed with cooking on my somewhat new WSM 22. As some of you know, I got out of the hobby for several years because my ex-wife stole all my smokers. I'm sure some of you have been in that situation LOL. Right now because of my ketogenic diet I have become quite fond of the brisket. It doesn't require sugar or Sweet BBQ sauce to taste like an absolute dream. I tried just using no sugar recipe for some pork butts last week and I didn't care for it too much. To me Pork needs sugar.. that being said, what is some of the best briskets that y'all have made and how did you do it?

As of today the best that I have made is a standard Texas style coarse ground black pepper kosher salt celery seed a little garlic and some white pepper. I used butcher paper to wrap and done 4 and 1/2 to 5 hours of low and slow and then finished off at 300 degrees. It had a thick bark it was juicy and probably one of the best brisket I've ever cooked. I've also tried competition style using Kosmos rubs injections and mops. I think when you cook like that it appears that you're just trying too hard. it's good but I don't think it's good for the weekend warrior cooking for your family. To me, it tastes very complex something like you're trying to impress someone not trying to fill your belly. I asked my family what they thought of this fancy brisket that I cooked yesterday versus the standard Texas style and they agreed that the fancy competition brisket taste excellent but they preferred the Texas style...

Texas Style

PNXpOH4.jpg

Kosmos Competition Style

6QkxrjE.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite brisket I've cooked was just salt and pepper and oak wood. Cooked at 250, wrapped in peach paper when the bark was right.

I've tried more complicated rubs, different wood, injecting and cooking hot and fast. I prefer the salt and pepper way for myself.

My favorite brisket I've cooked was just salt and pepper and oak wood. Cooked at 250, wrapped in peach paper when the bark was right.

I've tried more complicated rubs, different wood, injecting and cooking hot and fast. I prefer the salt and pepper way for myself.

Yes I really dig oak with brisket. I put two small chunks of mesquite and it definitely did not overpower

I don’t recall a favorite, but I remember the first time I ever got a brisket exactly how I wanted it, which happened within my first few cooks on the Shirley. I’d turned out some good briskets prior to that but they were always missing a little something compared to what I’d eaten at my favorite BBQ joints...it appears what was missing is a wood fire. It was about 1:30 AM in the morning when I sliced and tasted it and realized what I had. I almost woke my wife up, but better judgement prevailed :thumb:

My best Brisket was before My local Sams stopped carrying Prime grade Brisket for $3.28/lb. Haven't cooked one since.

Back