What will I need for mobile vending of BBQ?

SURVIVORQ

Found some matches.
I am in the process of building a BBQ vending trailer. Since I have never done this before I am unsure of what equipment is necessary vs. would be nice to have. I am located in Arkansas and have done research on how to build the trailer to code. I am wondering how does everyone keep their meats warm? I am thinking I need a warming cabinet for my meats and sides. Also I will need a steam table so if I have a huge line I don't have to be getting into the cabinet every time I need something. Does anyone use the chafing dishes to serve out of? Does anyone keep their smoker on low heat and hold stuff in there? I had someone tell me the chafing dishes wouldn't meet code if the health department came by. Can anyone tell me how they do theirs? Any help would be appreciated thank you!

It all depends on your state. When I started out I had a $300 cheap refrigerator and 3 crock pots to hot hold food while vending. I look back on those days and wonder how I even did it. If at all possible aside from cooking equipment 3 things I would suggest are a steam table, electric hot holding unit, and a very large refrigerator.

Patience, work ethic, friendly face to the public, and an ability to function with little sleep.

I honestly think you need to go visit a few mobile concessions before you jump in. I would also talk to my local HD and they will tell you all you need to know. You don't want to be out of business before your first sale..

I want to highlight what cynfulsmokersbbq stated, contact your local health department and do it as soon as possible.

I honestly think you need to go visit a few mobile concessions before you jump in. I would also talk to my local HD and they will tell you all you need to know. You don't want to be out of business before your first sale..

Yup. You don't want to invest time and money in something that the health department will say you can't use, or something that everyone who's done this before will tell you not to use.

I went through the same situation myself and found as I went along that I was not always getting the full info from the state and local. It can be difficult, but take your time to do ALL your due dilligence. It will save you time and money, and frustration.

I actually invited the local health inspector to my soon to be base station and trailer. We made a list of required items. That’s was the exact checklist he brought when came back to inspect and award us w our street approval. Good luck. It can be very rewarding.

Back