What other entree to cook with a turkey in the PBC?

BecknCO

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys,

I got volunteered to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving at my girl's grandparents. They requested an 18lb bird for only about 6-10 people - so lots of leftovers. I want to bring only my ultrasick 1st gen Pit Barrell Cooker if possible. :becky:

I'm not sure how juicy a giant bird will be versus 2 12lb ones, so I am asking for your help. I've only ever dry brined and injected turkey - was thinking if I do (1) big turkey, I should probably wet brine it??

I really only want to load the PBC in the truck and go - will have access to a gasser grill there, so I'd rather not drag extra grills and smokers there if I can help it.

Option 1: Cook (2) 12lb birds
Option 2: Cook (1) 14lb bird, and (1) tri tip
Option 3: Cook (1) 14lb bird, and (1) ham
Option 4: Cook (1) 14lb bird, and (1) duck
Option 5: Cook (1) 18lb bird and brine the ever loving hell out of it

What do you think? I could be swayed into another direction, but would like to have it all done about the same time. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Brian

I would do 2 - 12 lbers and brine for sure.The 18 lb bird takes to long for me. I would smoke at around 325 degrees until internal temp hits 165 . Also you can do a twice smoked ham at the same if you had room. They would be ready about the same time.

I would do 2 - 12 lbers and brine for sure.The 18 lb bird takes to long for me. I would smoke at around 325 degrees until internal temp hits 165 . Also you can do a twice smoked ham at the same if you had room. They would be ready about the same time.

Thanks so much for the help everyone-

They're asking for a ham/turkey combo, and I agree, I think they could be done about the same time, so I'll give it a shot! Hope they both fit in the PBC, cause I'd rather not try out grandpa's gasser! lol

Add a spiral cut ham.....pour 2 inches of apple cider in the bottom of the pan.....pour turbinado sugar in between as many slices as you can....smoke it uncovered the first half....and foil covered the second half.

Back