What do you think of Inkbird thermometers?

Yiplong

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Larry
Was going to buy myself a ThermoPro TP-08S or TP-20 when I saw this new brand called Inkbird. I've never heard of them but their probes have good features at a compelling price point. For example this IRF-4S unit: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wire...=1589124007&sprefix=inkbird+th,aps,158&sr=8-9

It cost $30 more than the TP-08 but has the following advantages:
  • Longer range (1500 vs 300 ft as claimed by manufacturer, is that possible?)
  • Rain proof (I live in a decently rainy area)
  • Includes rechargeable battery
  • Can handle 4 probes vs 2 (altho 2 should be enough for most situations)
  • Comes with 4 probes instead of 2
  • Has magnet in the back to attach to a metal surface

That said I'm not sure I want to go with a company I've never heard of. On the other hand, I already own two Thermo Pro thermometers in the house and they both have worked well. What is your experience with Inkbird?

Inkbird was nice enough to give us some demo product to use and some to giveaway we tried everything from instant reads to remote 4 probe units (ranges were never close to what they stated).

All in, the quality was marginal and longevity at least in the 2 commercial kitchens we tried them in was wrapper to trash can in under a month.

Probably good enough for occasional home use, don't even bother for serious use. My main objection is do you want to trust a smoker full of meat to a marginal tool that may not last to the end of the day?

If your just temping chicken breasts on the kettle grill 5 times a season they are ideal for the cost, they work ok until they don't.

Inkbird was nice enough to give us some demo product to use and some to giveaway we tried everything from instant reads to remote 4 probe units (ranges were never close to what they stated).

All in, the quality was marginal and longevity at least in the 2 commercial kitchens we tried them in was wrapper to trash can in under a month.

Probably good enough for occasional home use, don't even bother for serious use. My main objection is do you want to trust a smoker full of meat to a marginal tool that may not last to the end of the day?

If your just temping chicken breasts on the kettle grill 5 times a season they are ideal for the cost, they work ok until they don't.

Yikes! I'm a home cook but wouldn't want something so "fragile". The units will most likely be fine, it's the probes that concern me. Maybe I get something like this:
https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
This is a 2-channel Smoke, I haven't seen this model before. Seems reasonably priced.

Yikes! I'm a home cook but wouldn't want something so "fragile". The units will most likely be fine, it's the probes that concern me. Maybe I get something like this:
This is a 2-channel Smoke, I haven't seen this model before. Seems reasonably priced.

We use Thermoworks products daily, have for years and they really don't have much in the way of competition for quality and longevity pretty much the go to tools for any commercial operation.

I have 3 different ones, a hand held probe 1HT-1pP, a wireless IRF-4S, and a 1BT-6XS. All of them have worked flawless. I would purchase them again if I needed another one. I bought them in December 2019 and use them at least every weekend, sometimes more.

I have 3 different ones, a hand held probe 1HT-1pP, a wireless IRF-4S, and a 1BT-6XS. All of them have worked flawless. I would purchase them again if I needed another one. I bought them in December 2019 and use them at least every weekend, sometimes more.

I am using my 1BT-6XS as we speak and monitoring temps from 60 feet away.

Have had no issues, and am extremely happy with my purchase.

Light user and owner of an InkBird unit.... Like it very much except the alarm is in a frequency challenged range of my hearing. Wish it was louder or different tone.

That is the exact model I have. It has lasted a year with frequent use. I can tell you that it is not built as nice as a Thermoworks, but it does work. I wanted a new toy with the new pit, so I got the X4 as I have the older Smoke and it still works fine. If you're not wanting to spend Thermoworks money, the Inkbird should be just fine for you

I have a instant read that's rechargeable and a 6 probe , they have worked fine for me, multiple uses per week. I don't need commercial grade for my home use, I am happy with my purchases

I have both the Inkbird and the TP-08. Get the Inkbird. No contest. The TP has been pretty unreliable for me as far as the meat probe. The Inkbird has been flawless and I can use my phone, not a separate unit.

Yep. Inkbird is fine with me. I am an occasional user but have had it for more than a year and it keeps working. I have at least three others of different makes that collect dust for not working as expected or breaking down in short order.

We use Thermoworks products daily, have for years and they really don't have much in the way of competition for quality and longevity pretty much the go to tools for any commercial operation.

I just noticed the Smoke receiver unit has rounded ends and no kickstand, meaning you can't set it on the counter while working on other things. Definitely an example of @sshole designs.

I have the IBT-4XS. Got on an Amazon lightning deal for cheap. It works pretty good and the app is solid. I have their HET-F001 also. First one died and they sent another. It’s slow to read but accurate. I got fed up with it and just got the Thermapen MK4 recently. It’s amazing and I should have bought it sooner.

I used to agree with this, but my BlueTherm Due is very expensive crap.

I’m looking for a replacement now.

I’m moving away from Thermoworks.
While me dot and my thermapen are great, I’m tired of buying expensive products only to see the company continue to release new features with no retro compatibility. I expect better from a $250+ thermometer.

You get what you pay for. My first Inkbird unit literally fell apart in less than three months. The glue holding it together just let go after a while. Customer service is decent, they sent me a different model for free as a replacement, but it has its own issues. Their phone app sucks too.

Was going to buy myself a ThermoPro TP-08S or TP-20 when I saw this new brand called Inkbird. I've never heard of them but their probes have good features at a compelling price point. For example this IRF-4S unit: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wire...=1589124007&sprefix=inkbird+th,aps,158&sr=8-9

It cost $30 more than the TP-08 but has the following advantages:
  • Longer range (1500 vs 300 ft as claimed by manufacturer, is that possible?)
  • Rain proof (I live in a decently rainy area)
  • Includes rechargeable battery
  • Can handle 4 probes vs 2 (altho 2 should be enough for most situations)
  • Comes with 4 probes instead of 2
  • Has magnet in the back to attach to a metal surface

That said I'm not sure I want to go with a company I've never heard of. On the other hand, I already own two Thermo Pro thermometers in the house and they both have worked well. What is your experience with Inkbird?

That's the model that I bought. Worked fine until it fell apart on its own. Never exposed to rain, stored inside, didn't last three months.

I got 2 inkbirds.. the 2 port and the instant read therm.. both work great so far.

I used to agree with this, but my BlueTherm Due is very expensive crap.

I’m looking for a replacement now.

I’m moving away from Thermoworks.
While me dot and my thermapen are great, I’m tired of buying expensive products only to see the company continue to release new features with no retro compatibility. I expect better from a $250+ thermometer.

Exactly why I left ThermoWorks.

I have a few inkbird products and have not had one fail me. I use them weekly on average except my instant read. That’s basically daily. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back