Weber summit kamado VS Kamado Joe?

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
What to get?

Whats the pros and cons when it comes to the Weber summit Kamado?

One of the reasons why I’m considering the Weber summit is rust. Because the Weber and the other ceramic eggs can handle the Norwegian weather quite good.

Would you consider buying a Kamado Joe instead of the Weber if the price was about the same?

It’s really hard to decide and I don’t know what to do.

I'd go with the Weber all day. I started with a kamado and eventually started not liking the flavor profile. It's so efficient that it barely burns any fuel and I found the flavor of meats too smoky for my taste. Plus weber is easier to maneuver around and you won't worry about breaking or cracking it. The fireboxes develop cracks all the time. I know ceramics have great warranties but still. During winters they lids get stuck also.

I'm sure others will chime in also.

I cooked on Joe’s for years. I no longer have them. If I ever bring a kamado back into the fold, it will definitely be the WSCG.

-Easier to bring temp down if you overshoot.
-No ceramic parts to crack.
-From what I’ve read and heard, not quite as efficient as a ceramic kamado which allows a bit more airflow producing cleaner smoke.
-Much lighter and easier to move around.
-Nice built in work/storage area vs “side shelves”

Just my 2 cents :)

If you are planning to use it a lot in the dead of winter I would go with the KJ. They preform great in negative temperatures.

I have a Weber Summit Kamado and am very happy with it. It responds well to vent adjustments, it rolls really well, it's lighter than a ceramic, and I don't worry about it cracking.

The Summit is probably the best kamado-style cooker on the market. That said, I would personally get the Kamado Joe—not because it's better, but because if I feel like cooking on a kamado, I want it to be ceramic.

For me, if I wasn’t planning on moving it, I’d go with the Big Joe. The insulation makes it incredibly easy to us in any weather. Candidly, while not a top priority, I also prefer the looks. Really flexible design with it’s multi-height system too.

If I planned on needing to move it around though I’d definitely go the Weber route. My old KJ Classic wasn’t fun to move — would rather not try to lift the Big Joe.

Of those two, I'd go with the Kamado Joe for reasons already stated in this thread.

Though I don't own one, if you're looking at a metal grill, then the Kamado Joe Kettle Joe might be worth a look as well.

I'd go with the Weber all day. I started with a kamado and eventually started not liking the flavor profile.

Can you explain more what you mean by this? I too have noticed as the years go by that I'm enjoying food grilled on my BGE less and less. There's a certain flavor profile that's off-putting and I'm not sure if it's the lump (I've used multiple brands) or if it's just inherent to the Kamado itself. These days if I'm grilling, I don't want to trap the heat/smoke, and if I'm smoking I'd rather use a dedicated smoker. I find myself using my Egg less and less...

I was a long time ceramic user (primo oval xl) and cooked a lot of good food on it. Got bored with it after 8-9 years and tried numerous other cookers from pellets to gravity feed to open air to offset etc.

I now have a weber summit kamado and a workhorse 1975 offset at home (and a camp chef flat top)…have a weber performer and m1 at the lake…I am pretty much covered I think. I like the weber summit kamado but I don’t do any smoking on it. Strictly grilling. Once you have cleaner burning and tasting bbq, the smoke flavor on a ceramic seems kind of stale imo. There just isn’t much airflow through them and to me, it doesn’t taste nearly as good. The weber is great if you overshoot temps as it is much, much more reactive to adjustments than a ceramic kamado. Also easier to move around and won’t break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I enjoy both my KJ classic for smoking and pizzas and my Jr mainly for grilling. I have not experienced a stale profile with anything I’m smoking.. I make sure have I good combustion and don’t use a ton of wood…I have also cooked on my brothers Summit quite a bit. TBH I’m not sure I can taste a huge difference between them. I don’t think your going to be disappointed with either although I really like the KJ accessories. I don’t worry about the durability KJ has replaced anything and everything I’ve ever had an issue with for free. Weber also had a great reputation for warranty. Good luck with your purchase!

Webers do not rust. You will be able to pass it on after you leave this world. The grills may wear out like with any type but Weber is Quality.

I cooked on Joe’s for years. I no longer have them. If I ever bring a kamado back into the fold, it will definitely be the WSCG.

-Easier to bring temp down if you overshoot.
-No ceramic parts to crack.
-From what I’ve read and heard, not quite as efficient as a ceramic kamado which allows a bit more airflow producing cleaner smoke.
-Much lighter and easier to move around.
-Nice built in work/storage area vs “side shelves”

Just my 2 cents :)

Cannot be over stated. Weber, for all their faults, absolutely stone cold NAILED this aspect of the WSCG. It's literal perfection.

Last edited:
I would vote the Weber because of weight only. I am not sure how long it will actually last compared to a Joe (to me the ceramic makes it better) but the Weber is lighter and will not crack until the rust takes over.

Back