Weber Kettle Mod For The NanoQ & Caveman Q History w/Pron UPDATED- 2nd Cook

btcg

Babbling Farker
My NanoQ arrived friday, and I began my quest: the final mod of my 22.5 Weber kettle.

It had been a long process.

I started by changing out the stock grate for a cast iron replacement. From there, I bought a high quality themostat/temperature gauge and installed that on the lid: a much needed, and major improvement (note: if you do this yourself, spend the extra money and get a good gauge. You won't be sorry). In what I thought would be my last addition, I ordered the Cajun Bandit rotesserie and and ring, and added some charcoal baskets and, of course, a grill cover.

But, pinpoint temerature control intrigued me. So, I decided on one last mod: the NanoQ.

It wasn't an easy decision. It would involve drilling another hold: not something a Weber owner relishes. And then, there's the peer pressure.

On a recent thread, I had been warned against this modification... strongly. But in the end, I decided to do it.

I had scouted all of the available temperature units, but I finally decided on the NanoQ. What sold me on it was the fact that it did not have a temperature display built in: I didn't need it. I'd already installed a good thermometer/temp gauge, and a digital readout of the same data seemed redundant.

So the first order of business: drill a 1 1/4 inch hole for the fan to mount into. Lowes had exactly what I needed:

1.jpg

The NanoQ comes with a "kill" plug: a 1 1/4 inch rubber plug that will insert into the hole when the grill is not in use, so choosing a spot on the bottom of the kettle that will not interfere with the opening and closing of the air intake vents is critical: you may want to grill up some hotdogs, and the NanoQ will not be necessary, so you want to be able to rotate the vent cover. I was able to drill a nice, clean hole.

But then came the proverbial monkey wrenches in the machine. The stainless steel fan with the patented "magnetic mount" wasn't magnetic. Instead, they provide a mountable side bracket.

One major problem: there's nothing to securely mount it to on a kettle, short of drilling another hole and installing a metal bracket. Who wants to do that?

Enter some good old yankee ingenuity.

Another trip to Lowes and I had my solution: I bought a 1 inch round conduit hanger and replaced the square tightening bolt on it with a wing nut:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

One dollar and 32 cents later, it's mounted and ready to go. Easy on, and easy to take off: no tools needed.

I was now ready to take the NanoQ on its maiden voyage of smoke.

But then another monkey wrench in the machine: some drunk slammed his Mercedes 350 into one of my SUV's. My test run would have to wait until Sunday:

car.jpg

Did I mention the SUV was parked on the next street? It's my old vehicle, and our son uses it to tow his trailer when his band plays gigs. The 25 year-old drunk who slammed into it was doing 60 in a 25 MPH zone (a residential street) and passed out. The crash woke him up, and despite having no front end, he tried to back up and flee. But he had one major problem: the trailer hitch Uhaul installed had a hold on his engine, and he couldn't get free. He tried to run, but made it just 3 steps before collapsing. The cops and ambulance showed up a few minutes later and carted him and his totalled 350 away. Interestingly enough, the cop found a week old speeding ticket in his glove box: he was cited for doing 110 mph in a 55 mph zone.

On Sunday, I was ready to go.

The plan? Smoke a chicken @ 225 degrees until done. Would the NanoQ be up for the job? Below are pictures taken at regulat intervals during the cook:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The NanoQ worked to perfection! It never wavered, and recovered quickly all 3 times I opened the lid to add charcoal, hickory chips, and take physical temp readings.

During the cook, I was watching Primal Grill, and it was the episode where he cooks the African chicken, and gives a mini-history lesson on BBQ.

I must say, pioneering this on the Weber Kettle made me feel like the 1st caveman (probably named Ogg) must have felt in front of his tribe on that historic day:

First Caveman: "What Ogg doing? That not spear, it round. Wait... Ogg invent wheel!"

Loud applause from the tribe.

Second Caveman: "That not wheel. Ogg invent Kettle grill."

Standing ovation from the tribe!

The NanoQ mod: total success.

Why not mount the magic box above the charcoal grate but below the cooking grate?

Why not mount the magic box above the charcoal grate but below the cooking grate?

BBQ Guru tech support recommends installing the fan below the charcoal grate. That's where Weber has the air intake too. Of course, when using the NanoQ, I close the air intake completely and allow the NanoQ's fan to supply the air. It was interesting to watch. Many times, the NanoQ would give the fan one short burst. That told me how efficient the kettle was.

BBQ Guru tech support recommends installing the fan below the charcoal grate. That's where Weber has the air intake too. Of course, when using the NanoQ, I close the air intake completely and allow the NanoQ's fan to supply the air. It was interesting to watch. Many times, the NanoQ would give the fan one short burst. That told me how efficient the kettle was.

I wonder about ash clogging the fan with its current placement.

I wonder about ash clogging the fan with its current placement.

Ashes are held in the charcoal tray, and the tray is on the other side of the grill with the water pan in between, so there's no danger.

Developed a modern take on the Minion style, as well, on this cook.

Nice!

I have not seen or heard of the "conduit hanger bracket mod" for a Guru adapter before. Always thought that you used a WSM adapter for a kettle application. My only concern is the fan blowing up underneath the coals.

Here is what the WSM adapter looks like mounted in a WSM-it has a deflector that you position facing downward.

IMG_1562.jpg

The "kill plug" is intended to plug the adapter opening with the Guru removed.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Keep us posted on how it's working out for you. I have been considering mounting Guru adapters on my Performer and OTG just for use with the Cajun Bandit conversion.

I suppose if you have an ash pan over the vent and under the coals the need for a WSM adapter wouldn't be needed. In which case the vintage ash pan from a Weber/Sears Economy Kettle will come in handy in my case!

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

You must be cooking indirect with banked coals, EH?

Nice!

I have not seen or heard of the "conduit hanger bracket mod" for a Guru adapter before. Always thought that you used a WSM adapter for a kettle application. My only concern is the fan blowing up underneath the coals.

Here is what the WSM adapter looks like mounted in a WSM-it has a deflector that you position facing downward.

IMG_1562.jpg

The "kill plug" is intended to plug the adapter opening with the Guru removed.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Keep us posted on how it's working out for you. I have been considering mounting Guru adapters on my Performer and OTG just for use with the Cajun Bandit conversion.

I suppose if you have an ash pan over the vent and under the coals the need for a WSM adapter wouldn't be needed. In which case the vintage ash pan from a Weber/Sears Economy Kettle will come in handy in my case!

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

You must be cooking indirect with banked coals, EH?

BBQ Guru sent me the link to a pdf that shows the fan below the grate, and made sure to state it in an e-mail. So I took their advice, The cook went flawlwssly. Even though it was windy here last night, I had no issues with the built-in air intake: I just closed it and kept it closed.

You won't see the conduit hanger mod anywhere, I developed it over the weekend. It's the way to go: no extra drilling or holes.

Banking the charcoal? Well, I used one charcoal basket, and placed it on the opposite side of the grill. I stacked the charcoal in the Minion method, but threw a new spin on it:

I have a trek deck, and using the chimney to start my coals, and then transfering them just doesn't work for me: too much spillage, even when being very careful.

So, I been using Kingsford's odorless lighter fluid. But here the twist:

I take the charcoal basket and pile it a pyramid in 4 layers:

a layer of 5 coals on the bottom

a layer of 4 coals in the middle

then a thin layer of newspaper cut to the width & length of the charcoal

then a top layer of 3 coals

I then carefully apply the fluid to just the 3 top coals, allow it to sit and soak in for 10 minutes, then light.

It takes about 15-20 minutes before the temp comes up, but by the time it does, the 3 coals have burned off, and there is no fluid on the other 2 rows: the newspaper insulates it. When I put the meat on, I simply add a new layer of fresh coals on the top.

A modern take on the Minion method.

Forgot, I only cook burgers, dogs, steaks, and fish with direct heat (grilling). For actual cooks/smokes, it's always indirect.

Cook 2 (and 3: breakfast)

Decided yesterday to head up to the Giant (a Maryland supermarket chain) here in the Kentlands and pick up some brisket.

One problem: they didn't have any.

So I settled on a couple of chuck roasts for what would be my 2nd cook using the NanoQ on the modded Weber kettle.

I injected using the Mixon recipe and allowed them to marinade:

3.jpg

And after about 5 hours @ 225, here's the result:

1.jpg

Actually, I took that picture this morning (American Chopper got in the way last night) en route to making myself breakfast:

2.jpg

So, that's 2 cooks now, and 2 completely different meats, but both were absolutely yummy. The kettle held its temperature without wavering. What a tool the NanoQ will be in my proverbial arsenal. And the thing that really makes me smile is that both cooks were done without using my rotisserie. I think my next cook will use the NanoQ with the rotisserie.

What I especially like is the ability to cook the meat throughly and up to the same internal temps I get doing hot & fast, but having the nice inside pink color and rareness left in tact.

Sorry Bo: haven't experienced the learning curve. I guess all those years of cooking on those TV tray style $4.99 grills using aluminum foil as my grill lid preparred me.

Back