Water substitutes in the smoker water pan?

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Can the type of liquid used have an impact on either flavor or tenderness? I was wondering if substituting apple juice or beer for the water would have any effects. Or should I just stick to H2O?

If you put Oil in the water pan it will effect tenderness. :twisted:
As far as flavor, i dunno maybe peanut oil for that subtle nutty flavor.:mrgreen:

I assume that some liquids may transfer some taste to the surface of the meat even though they will not penetrate.

I assume that some liquids may transfer some taste to the surface of the meat even though they will not penetrate.

You may be on to something.

I have a feeling that motor oil for example would transfer some not so pleasant flavor to the meat.

Negative.

If you ever were in boy scouts, or took a survival training class, you would know not even Salt ( which is water soluble ) doesn't transfer with evaporation.

The purpose of a liquid in a bullet smoker is not for moisture, flavor, or tenderness. It is for temp control.

I don't disagree with the purpose, but I will say under the right circumstances, water in the water pan will help with reduce moisture loss and help improve tenderness. Perfect example ( and it may sound counter productive ) Is Jerky. Some of the best jerky i make is using my Vertical Pit Boss with water in the water pan. ( its required in the PB manual )

It takes longer then using my Cabela's commercial Dehydrator to finish after an hour or two of smoke, but its a way better end result.

Wrap your pan in foil and control temp. Spritz or season for your flavor and let the smoke do the rest.

There ya go.
WSM guy here and I never use water in the pan anymore, and never used anything but water when I first started.
Once you learn what temp your pit likes to run at you won't need water in the pan.
YMMV.

I suppose salted water would have an impact, but only by changing the temperature the water boils.
So that's back to temperature control.
So is the example (more or less)of jerky above. Although I think that the moisture content of the air has an influence here as well. More moisture, slower drying out of meat (plus slower browning)

Try this and let us know what you think. The way I do this is I use a foil pan under my ribs to catch the liquid off the ribs as well.

Back