Want a 250 or 500 gallon..about neighbors and city.

Q_Done_Right

Knows what a fatty is.
Long story short, I’ve been talking with several big pit builders about either a 250 or 500 gallon propane offset smoker (most likely on a trailer) that would be for both “residential” and “commercial” use. I’d like to cook on it at home every once in a while and I’d also like to start doing some pop ups at local breweries.

The problem I’m concerned about is with both potential neighbors (who complain to the cops and city) and of course the city itself. Either unit is not small and I had planned to keep it in my driveway of a single family residence. I was hoping to keep it in a standard two car garage but I don’t know if it will fit yet...still need to get some dimensions. I’m already moving out of my townhome soon because the HOA has given me fits over my current Old Country Pecos offset...and I just called the village office of one of the cities I’m considering moving to and they completely shut this idea down...not only can I not keep the 250/500 on a trailer in my driveway but I can’t even have it on skids in the backyard. Also, if I wanted to use it any business purposes, I can’t store it there. In short, I would be violating all kinds of ordinances there and I have a feeling I’m going to run into this problem in other nearby local towns as well.

For those of you that have large smokers of this size, do you keep it at home and in what manner?

Have you had any issues with neighbors or your local city about it?

And for those of you in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, do you know of any areas or towns where I might not have an issue with this? I work way up in the northshore area (Highland Park), so I don’t want to live anymore than about 45 minutes away. Cook county seems to be worse about this stuff than Lake so far.

Mods...can you please delete this thread. I have another (same one) I just posted. The headline got messed up and I couldn’t seem to fix it. Thanks.

Back