Variety or Consistency

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Character flaw I reckon. I strive to create appealing, tasty meals differently every time. Being unable or unwilling to follow a script I often fail. An analogy to Fly Fishing. Change the split, the leader , the tippet the indicator the length and locations, the mend. Try everything before changing the fly. I’m same way cooking. Change everything before changing the meat. Seared, Reverse Seared, charcoal, distance from heat, seasons, prep work- change everything except The Meat.

There is a freedom I find with variety that I don’t find with consistency. I hadn’t had ketchup on eggs in years. It was a flashback to Gone To Heaven friend. We had some grand episodes in the bar ditches across The High Plains. Viewing life through a DCell flashlights. He was single and after being out all night he wanted to eat breakfast before end of shift. He’d get barely heated runny eggs burned hash browns and toast mix it all together and shake ketchup on it. It looked bad, but it made him smile. He’s gone. That was for him

This morning’s egg dish.

Last edited:
Many times my wife would ask me to recreate a meal or dish that I had presented her.

I don't take notes and I don't have a recipe.

Dear...I have no idea what I did and I have nothing to go back to...

And I have something else up my sleeve...I'm gonna try "this" instead.

It is what it is...

She got used to it.

Great tribute to your friend. My wife and I had breakfast for supper tonight. Toast, grits, bacon, over easy eggs with hot sauce and ketchup. Once you eat everything your left with a little runny yolk mixed with hot sauce and ketchup. Sop it up with your last bite of toast and Bob's your uncle.

Variety or Consistency? You raise a good question. I *think* (but could be wrong), that I want consistency generally. For example, I do most of my briskets CenTX style in every regard. I do like to try new things (things which I don't have an approved consistent recipe/process for), but once I find a version I like, I tend to stick with it. Later another new thing (variety) may offer itself up, but after some experimentation, I'll usually settle into a consistent process with it.

After reading this, it seems I may be crazy...

I would eat that and smile too.

Certain things I got right.

Spaghetti Bolognese. No change in 10 years.
Sausages, Onion / Bacon Gravy... Same.
Leg of Lamb
Tri tip.
Scalloped Potato Bake.
Rookwurst with Cabbage. All the same.

Everything else is an MSU, especially on the grill / smoker. Still looking for perfection and screwing it up a lot.

Consistency in technique so whatever I’m cooking can be consistently done well every time. That means when I’m learning something new I cook pretty much the same things with the same flavoring until I’ve got everything dialed in and I know my process and technique isn’t getting in the way. Once the basics are solid, variety is the spice of life! All bets are off once I know I can make something solid.

Personally I will take variety over consistently every time even at the expense of an occasional failure. Unfortunately I believe most people would prefer predictable consistency. That is the reason places like McDonalds and Denny’s thrive. Same meal no matter where you eat. Even in today’s music, or cars there is a very predictable consistency. JMHO

Alot of my cooking i have at least a couple ways of making the same thing.

Long cook barbecue is probably the biggest exception to that. I don't experiment too much with briskets or pork butts anymore. The biggest change is maybe trying a different sauce recipe but the cook process is pretty consistent now.

A fitting tribute to your friend, Adams.

I'm an occasional MSU practitioner, and it often comes into play when there's an odd combination of leftovers, or when inspiration hits and I have an aha" moment and attempt to create something new. Then of course, what was once new, is no longer new and therefore not MSU. In some of those instances, when I "nailed" it, a new recipe was born, many of which are still repeated to this day, even 20 years later.

I enjoy the spontaneity and creativity of your cooking adventures and how you document it! We all can learn from each other if we're open...

I’d say both. For general cooking it’s a lot of variety. For Barbeque it’s generally consistently. I think the latter is down to the fact that I’ve got my regulars down to the point that I’m happy with them and don’t feel the need to tinker (that much - I do a bit) And if I’m going to spend half a day tending a fire and cooking brisket, I don’t really want to mess with what I know works.

I'll play around with ribs. brisket not so much. folks have come to have expectations there. I remember new coke, I dont want to disappoint. pulled pork I dont care as long as my portion is drowned in shack sauce.

I get stuck between variety and consistency. I like to try different things, and it usually comes with "never made it before". I have jacked up some food, but I still eat it. I am mainly the only eater of spicy food so I always have to add spice and get into trouble when I sneak too much in to food that I cook for the family. Since I am not a good cook, I use recipes. For example: Last night, I made banana bread. That is always my lovely ladies thing. I don't eat bananas unless it is banana pudding and I usually don't eat the bread. I used a recipe. I didn't ask about hers but when she ate it, her critiques told me she didn't like it. It wasn't bad bread. Soft and moist. She told me hers is better and has a little more flavor. I wasn't concerned at all since it was my first attempt. That is mainly why MSU is just for my plate though, because the families expectations have sent me to get takeout, and I hate wasting food. I might get lucky someday? :wacko:

Back