THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imp81318

Knows what a fatty is.
I just received a new lid for my Weber kettle 22.5" to replace my current damaged lid. Functionally, the old lid works fine, but the enamel coating is chipped. Anyway, since I have a spare lid I am thinking about making a 55-gallon UDS. I can buy a food-grade barrel locally for around $20, but I have a few questions about their use and practicality:

1. How do you clean out the ash from the bottom? I would think, much like with a WSM or kettle grill, you'd want/need to clean the ash out regularly for several reasons not the least of which being to prevent collection and moisture and speeding up the rusting process. But given the height of the barrel, this seems like it would be a difficult task unless I'm missing something...
  2. Do you use and kind of deflector plate above the coals, or do you get the same effect by keeping the grates near the top of the grill to prevent cooking with direct heat?
  3. Is it difficult to add/move/check food on a lower grate mid-cook? It seems to me that with the drum hot during the cook it would be difficult to reach down to a lower grate to pull food off or to check the temperature/doneness part way through. This is particularly true if trying to check a tender piece of meat such as spare ribs that will pull apart if you lift them from one end.
  4. Has anyone cut the barrel into sections so that it could be broken down similar to a WSM for easier access?

Thanks, and let me know if there are any other nuances to the use of these bad boys that I should take into account while weighing this option against just waiting for a used WSM to come up for sale locally.

To answer your questions.

1. I just pull out my basket and dump the ash into an ash can. Of course I do this the next day and night right after a cook. I have seen others use an oil change pan or a pizza pan that they attach underneath the basket. This allows the ash to collect in that and then simply lift the basket out and dump the ash out.

2. I don't use any deflector plates in my UDS. I like the taste that is produced when the fat hits the hot coals and sizzles back onto the meats. If I don't want that flavor, I use some foil on the bottom rack and just cook on the top rack.

3. Checking the food on the lower grade mid cook can be a pain in the butt. I have welder gloves to deal with the hot grate. To test for doneness I am able to probe for doneness without removing the top rack. I am able to stick my thermapen into the food on the second rack without having to remove the top rack also.

4. I haven't done this. I'm sure it is doable. I personally wouldn't do it because it adds another point where air can leak into the cooker. The reason why I prefer cooking on my drum, and I sold my wms, is that air leaks are nil. I know my 3 intake holes are the only place that air can get in. I don't have to worry about air leaking through the bowl and body or the door of a WSM.

I say build a UDS over waiting for a drum. They are easy to build, it is a nice weekend project and you can build it to what you want. You can dump a lot of money into it and get tear drop ducting or ball valves. Or you can build on the cheap and just used drilled holes and use flat magnets to control your temps.

1. I made an ash pan from a cheap, flat table top grill, put a wire bail on it for removal and return. My fire basket sits in this on 4" carriage bolts.
2. Sometimes I'll use the grate from the table top grill covered in foil and holes poked in it.
3. I have 2 grates in my uds, but its not that big of deal to get to the lower grate. I try to put the longer cooking/less attention meat on the lower grate. My grates are on adjustable shelf brackets , so I keep every thing near the top for easier access.

I just received a new lid for my Weber kettle 22.5" to replace my current damaged lid. Functionally, the old lid works fine, but the enamel coating is chipped. Anyway, since I have a spare lid I am thinking about making a 55-gallon UDS. I can buy a food-grade barrel locally for around $20, but I have a few questions about their use and practicality:

1. How do you clean out the ash from the bottom? I would think, much like with a WSM or kettle grill, you'd want/need to clean the ash out regularly for several reasons not the least of which being to prevent collection and moisture and speeding up the rusting process. But given the height of the barrel, this seems like it would be a difficult task unless I'm missing something...
  2. Do you use and kind of deflector plate above the coals, or do you get the same effect by keeping the grates near the top of the grill to prevent cooking with direct heat?
  3. Is it difficult to add/move/check food on a lower grate mid-cook? It seems to me that with the drum hot during the cook it would be difficult to reach down to a lower grate to pull food off or to check the temperature/doneness part way through. This is particularly true if trying to check a tender piece of meat such as spare ribs that will pull apart if you lift them from one end.
  4. Has anyone cut the barrel into sections so that it could be broken down similar to a WSM for easier access?

Thanks, and let me know if there are any other nuances to the use of these bad boys that I should take into account while weighing this option against just waiting for a used WSM to come up for sale locally.
DONT BUY A FOOD GRADE DRUM THEY HAVE A PIA LINER .
1) install a 4.00 walmart Pizza pan under the basket.

2) I never used anything between the heat & the meat never saw the need for it. The center is 50* hotter than the out side edge I just added 25 deg to the thermo and set my cook temp accordingly.

3) I and one grate in mine

4) Cutting the drum into sections will cause air leaks and the fire will run away making it uncontrollable.

Listen to what everyone is telling you and avoid the food grade drums. Find an old oil drum or something that is not lined. Burn it out real good with sticks or fire wood, then clean with some soap and water, you will be fine. Mine was an old hydrauilc oil drum, been cooking on it for 2 years and I have yet to get sick.

1. The cheapo pizza pan on the bottom of the coal basket is the easiest way to clean out your ash.

2. A diffuser is not needed, but you can experiement and see if you like it. A pizza pan, foil, or something silimar can work, but just remember you don't need it.

3. I use 3 grates spaced about 5 inches apart and I can get to everything just fine. I cooked 9 butts a few weeks ago, with 3 on each grate and did not have any issues.

4. Don't cut the drum into sections. You are just asking for air leak issues. The three intake holes are all the air flow you need.

Good luck to you, and if you haven't already, you need to read the giant UDS thread. You will learn a lot, and see that many people had the same questions as you when they first started. I had a billion questions when I built mine too. I took the advice of the awesome people around here, kept it simple, and my UDS has been turning out amazing q ever since.

There is this
IMG06.jpg

http://bbq.about.com/od/customsmokers/ig/Custom-Smoker-Gallery/Magnum-Force-Smoker.htm

Good luck to you, and if you haven't already, you need to read the giant UDS thread. You will learn a lot, and see that many people had the same questions as you when they first started. I had a billion questions when I built mine too. I took the advice of the awesome people around here, kept it simple, and my UDS has been turning out amazing q ever since.

Is the "giant UDS thread" that you're referring to the PBC appreciation thread? I know PBC's are basically nicer/manufactured UDS.

"mother of all uds threads"

Is the "giant UDS thread" that you're referring to the PBC appreciation thread? I know PBC's are basically nicer/manufactured UDS.

This is the one he's referring to - and it's a monster.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

It's EPIC in scope - and WILL tell you everything you ever wanted to know about a UDS but it is huge. If you just want the Cliff Notes version to get you going- you will have to do some searches on the forum or hit the WWW - it's out there to be found.

You've received some great advice above.

I made my basket with 3 stainless steel carriage bolts - I drilled holes in the Wally World aluminum pizza pan Bludawg referred to, slipped the bolts through them and then bolted them onto the bottom of the basket. I still get a little bit of ash in the bottom of the barrel...I've flipped it over once in about two years, just to dump out a little that has leaked out. I may power wash the bottom at some point.

I am also adding an additional air vent to the weber kettle lid to improve my exhaust and get a cleaner burning fire.

I started with wiring an ash pan to the coal basket. Bolting the ash pan requires tipping/dumping everything to get rid of the ash.

Went to using this. Cheap broom/flip down dust pan. I can dump the ash where ever I want.

Bottom grate for diffuser or drip pan when required, held by 3 bolts thru the sides just above the coal basket.

Easy to rotate 2 cooking grates that stand on lower grate. Also you can set the grates down on the carriage bolts and your food never touches the ground. AND NO tipping of the grates!

4 lg butts

I have grease stains on a lot of shirts from bending over to clean/rotate food etc. Depends how tall you are and where your belly would touch the edge of the drum. :doh:

This is the one he's referring to - and it's a monster.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

It's EPIC in scope - and WILL tell you everything you ever wanted to know about a UDS but it is huge. If you just want the Cliff Notes version to get you going- you will have to do some searches on the forum or hit the WWW - it's out there to be found.
Here is the short version.
If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

Back