UDS Pork Butt (with Pron), Thank You, and Some Questions

F

FalconerRods

Hello All -

I have been following the forum for some time and recently built my first UDS using all the wealth of information on this site. I like easy, lazy Q but was totally disappointed with the taste from my electric smoker. Couldn't convince the wife we need a pellet grill so I built the UDS with my friend Rob (he's a welder...bless him). First and foremost, thanks very much to all who contribute. Great site where I have learned a lot and I appreciate it. Second, if anyone is still a non-believer this thing works. Can't believe how good the Q is for the effort. I am delighted.

After a few test runs and some chickens to get this drum figured out, I cooked two briskets but forgot to take pics. Made several mistakes - used too much charcoal in the chimney to start wtih, got temps too high before slowing down, used too much wood, took the lid off too long and too often, etc. But this thing works and the food is turning out great.

I finally did a pork butt this weekend. Photos attached...it was 9.80 lbs with the bone in. Cooked it low and slow (about 240 to 255) until it hit 160 IT, then into the foil until 203. I am still trying to understand how this thing cooks so fast! The butt was at 43 degrees IT when it went on and I hit 203 in 7 hours and 42 mins...to me that is FAST. Same thing happened with the briskets - done much sooner than I would have anticipated. So into the faux cambro for about 4 hours before pulling and serving.

Still need to work on finding a rub I really like and a better sauce, but I was very happy with how it turned out. Good bark and a great, 1/2" smoke ring. Had folks over and we wore that thing out...hardly any leftovers! Anyway, this UDS is tons of fun and so glad I put one together.

Two questions if anyone with more experience would be kind enough to help a brother out. I seem to have a very uneven first couple of hours and then the thing settles in and is very consistent. I don't know if I am hovering and watching too much or making too many adjustments...but it was kind of all over the map for the first three hours and then locked in and never moved. By all over the map I mean a low of 210 and a high of 299 and moving the whole time (either going up or coming down). And I don't mean locked in on an inaccurate bimetal dial thermometer...I mean locked in on 242 for three hours on the Maverick mounted on the grate next to the meat. Any ideas on how to lock it in sooner? Also, seems harder to lock in at lower temps? Any ideas?

Second question is that I am experiencing pretty significant (30 - 40 degrees as measured by two different Maverick probes) temp variation from the middle to the edges. I don't really care on the brisket and butt, but I am having a hard time making big batches of chicken for example come out consistently. Some are under and some are way over. I know you can rotate the meataround but I prefer to not even turn if I can get away with it. Especially with the drum...don't even want to take the lid off to avoid temp spikes. Anyway, would a diffuser help? Thoughts?

I typically build my fire, get it up to temp, and start cooking. Takes 25 - 45 minutes depending. Am I putting the meat on too fast? Any other suggestions? Results are good...just wish I could get it to lock in earlier on. I am after boring predictability. Anyway, thanks so much for all tlhe great info. More to follow...

Attachments

• Pork Butt.jpg
    Pork Butt.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 231
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 230
How are you adjusting air intake? ball valve, magnets, other? Also, you need to give it 15-20 mins minimum after making an adjustment to allow it time to settle.

A diffuser will help even out temps. Without a diffuser, I have 50-60 degree difference from middle to edge. With one, it will be 10-25. I have a cheap pizza pan & drilled a series of holes like a big *.

Thanks for the reply. I have a total of four intakes on the bottom - two are pipe nipples with caps and two have elbows with 'fat man mods' where the ball valves are up at about grate height (7" below the top). Generally I close one cap at 190, the second at 205, and then am making all adjustments with the two ball valves. I have one 1.5" top vent hole with a magnet cover and a 6" polar array (like 10 or 12 1/2" holes) on top...generally running both top vents wide open.

I bought a 16" pizza pan yesterday as a deflector but have not done anything with it yet. Are you just setting it on top of your fire basket? Or mounting it on a bracket betweem the basket and your top cooking grate?

Thanks for your help.

A UDS is 50 deg hotter in the center than it is at the end of the thermo stem. If your thermo says 250 and the meat is in the center it is cooking at 300. It is less stressful to let it cook where it wants to run instead of motherhenning over what temp it is running at. I cook hot 300+ as long as the needle is above 300 I could care less it just gets done sooner.

Don't try adjusting both ball valves at the same time. After you cap off the two nipples, start closing down one valve & leave the other open. You may end up with one valve completely closed & only making adjustments with the other. Once you are near your target temp, make very small adjustments & give it 15-20 mins to take effect.

I put a third rack in mine about 8" above the fire basket. I can either use the deflector or a water pan.

Don't try to hit a certain temp - try to hit a target Temp range - you can make good Q from 225* to 325* so let it settle in where it wants - Don't ruin a a Steady 270* by trying to force it to run at 225 or 250*........:thumb:

And it won't always like to run at same temp - charcoal differences( even bag to bag of same brand), how much lit you dump on top, how much wood chunks , type of chunks, wind, humidity, etc etc - I'm happy if mine settles in anywhere from 250-325* but I prefer 275-300*. :wink:

What kind of electric smoker do you have? I did this chuck roast in my master built electric smoker........

null_zps70c2ba49.jpg

Smitty -

It's a Bradley digital 4-rack smoker. Honestly, it turns out great wings. Chicken pieces turn out well and the ribs are okay. Smoked salmon turns out fine, too. And you can cold smoke in it.

And the stuff looks delicious...you'd drool if I showed you pics. Set it and forget it easy.

But the flavor - the real smoke flavor and depth of flavor - is just not there. In a blind taste test, you could pick the Bradley vs. the stick burner 100 times out of 100 with a butt or a brisket. Even the bark. Thus the UDS.

Plus building your own stuff is fun.

Back