Turkey Turn and I did put a bag of ice on the breast meat.ed out Great

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I have had a couple of recent threads about doing a Turkey. Today I cooked it. Got a beautiful 15 lb turkey from my butcher. Put it in Patio Daddio's Ultimate Turkey Brine for 15 hours. Then let it sit on a rack uncovered in the Fridge for 24 hrs. Used Mad Max's recipe to cook it (naked whiz) except I did not put in the lemon as John's brine csalled for the juice of 2 lemons, and I aded 4 small chopped garlic cloves. Also put the herb butter undr the skin. Had the egg set for 325 with chunks of apple and a little pecan. Not sure what happened after I put it on as it took 2 hrs to get it back to temp using a guru and even opened the vents. I am sure that the cold wine and chicken stock that i put in the pan had something to do with it but 2 hrs. The turkey was out of the fridge for over an hour before I put it on and I did put a bag of ice on the breast meat. I dont know if the coal was too close to the inverted patesetter which would prevent good air flow. The egg had no problem reaching 325 initially. Now it took over 2 hrs to return to the set temp but the 15 lb turkey was done in 3 hrs. Could not believe it. The only thing I can think of is that with the Guru fan blowing the way it did the egg was like a convection oven. Skin was beautiful. The smell was amazing. The turkey turned out great. My wife really liked it and my oldest son said I should not change a thingfor T Day. I would recommend John's brine and Mad Max's mehod to anyone who wants a really good Yurkey. Sorry no Pics- it really did happen

the last two turkey's i've done i've done the iced breast bit and they came out near perfect. totally recommend this trick.

Back