Turkey legs

Home Farm BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Anyone have any good tips for smoking turkey legs? I’ve watched most videos out on it. Malcom reeds is probably where I’m heading. They look juicy and good color.

We have a local competition and they added turkey legs to the contest. I’ve cooked full turkeys and a couple of turkey legs recently, but wasn’t impressed.

We don’t have much time to brine. They provide meat in morning at 8-9. Turkey legs turn in at 4. Plan to brine, but didn’t know if I could speed up the brining process for moisture. I’ll probably inject them with the brine. Not sure if that is wrong or right.

I have no idea what kind of a box we are using for turkey legs!!! They are giving us 7 turkey legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a whole smoked Turkey a few weeks ago. Turned out great. Took 5 days to Cure, but you could do just Turkey legs in a few days.

I'm thinking inject with OR Game Changer.

I have that in the cupboard waiting. Oakridge was going to be my brine. I figure Inject and soak for 3-4 hours. Gives it time to dry off and have rub set. I have some duck fat to spray before putting rub on.

I have that in the cupboard waiting. Oakridge was going to be my brine. I figure Inject and soak for 3-4 hours. Gives it time to dry off and have rub set. I have some duck fat to spray before putting rub on.

Sounds like a good plan to me. As far as a rub, not sure what flavor they are expecting or looking for, but SPOG would be good.

Not for comp however when smoking/roasting turkey legs I like to chop off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the leg (bone end) then the meat shrinks up and all the tendons expose themselves and can be pulled out with pliers. Makes eating the leg so much more enjoyable IMO.

Sounds like a good plan to me. As far as a rub, not sure what flavor they are expecting or looking for, but SPOG would be good.

Malcom’s was all purpose followed by bbq rub for color. Seems simple and easiest enough. Cook to 165-175. Let rest in cambro I guess. He was cooking at 275. Around 2 hours or so.

Not for comp however when smoking/roasting turkey legs I like to chop off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the leg (bone end) then the meat shrinks up and all the tendons expose themselves and can be pulled out with pliers. Makes eating the leg so much more enjoyable IMO.

I like that tip for enjoying. I have a feeling I’ll grab these just to try in the future since it is something easy to throw on and easy to brine.

I have an odd idea of making some Alabama white sauce for the turkey legs, but the appearance probably wouldn’t shine. I do like the Alabama white sauce.

This may be a dumb question, but does the meat need to be on the bone or could you do "pulled turkey"?

A few years ago I threw some turkey legs in a cast iron dutch oven with a ton of duck fat and assorted spices, and then had that in my Egg for a few hours. They were incredibly deiicious.

This may be a dumb question, but does the meat need to be on the bone or could you do "pulled turkey"?

A few years ago I threw some turkey legs in a cast iron dutch oven with a ton of duck fat and assorted spices, and then had that in my Egg for a few hours. They were incredibly deiicious.

Not a dumb question at all. I’m wondering the same thing. I guess if they give us a regular size box it must mean we are pulling it apart.

Didn’t have that idea though. Did you cook in the Dutch oven the whole time? Good idea.

Back