Turkey Day Leftovers - Sourdough Pot Pie

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Despite our Thanksgiving turkey being only half a bird it still yielded quite a bit of meat for two of us, since it weighed in around 11 lbs. I've had one turkey plate since Thanksgiving day, so what to do with the rest? There are two discs of sourdough pie dough in the freezer which makes the decision of what to make somewhat easy -

Turkey Pot Pie

I finely diced up some celery, onion and carrots, cooked them in a bit of butter til the onions were translucent, then added flour to make a roux. I stirred in some leftover gravy and half and half, then added frozen peas and diced potatoes.

The mixture, piled high into the bottom crust in the Lodge CI skillet -

OBy0GXV.jpg

Rolling out the sourdough top crust -

U8pbeoE.jpg

Crimped, scored and brushed with egg wash, ready for the oven -

qQbUEHA.jpg

400F for 18-20 minutes to help set the bottom crust, then 375F for another 15 min and it's ready -

gF7EwUm.jpg

Quite a bit of goodness here -

SAxv9lK.jpg

and on my plate -

tIWVkWQ.jpg

8EXMCl3.jpg

And that was this evening's dinner!

Believe it or not, I still have some diced turkey left that didn't make it into the pot pie. I also made turkey stock from the carcass and drumsticks, so this turkey was put to good use. The stock is in the freezer for another day. No waste in my house.

Thanks for reading through this post and if you're looking for something to do with leftover turkey other than sandwiches give a Turkey Pot Pie a try.

Regards,
-lunchman

OUTSTANDING! My hopes and dreams of such delicacies were not to be.I made a newbie mistake while smoking my Turkey and it was not tastee at all.Luckily I had a ham too.The Turkey breast was edible but not great.I tossed the carcass and legs that I had high hopes for using in future dishes such as yours.

OUTSTANDING! My hopes and dreams of such delicacies were not to be.I made a newbie mistake while smoking my Turkey and it was not tastee at all.Luckily I had a ham too.The Turkey breast was edible but not great.I tossed the carcass and legs that I had high hopes for using in future dishes such as yours.

Cooking live brother, cooking live
Cherish the times

Pot pie is high on my list of favorite comfort foods, and that looks absolutely amazing! Nothing better to face our upcoming cold weather with than that. Great job!

Thanks all. This one turned out to be decent. I recently saw an America's Test Kitchen video on double crusted chicken pot pie, took away some tips and tricks. I'm not sure about the diced potato. They included it and my wife asked if potatoes were on the ingredient list, so in they went. They didn't hurt the final product but I wouldn't miss them next time.

I've made pot pies before but the crust was always the weak link. This sourdough crust is a game changer for me, it's incredibly easy to work with.

At least I have a different turkey eating option over the next few days.

Man I bet that was awesome.. I did a smoked chicken pot pie last week and posted it here! I'm a fan of home made pot pies for sure now! Forget those frozen ones that are "good" lol

Simply amazing. Pot pie to me a meh dish but, when you make it I really want it. I hear they freeze and ship well :wink: My wife thinks I am weird but, with your extra leftover turkey chunks...swiss and turkey omelet.

That looks excellent. I love pot pies in the winter.

My wife got into making regular pies from scratch a few months ago, maybe we can make one of these.

A true comfort food and looks very tasty. We made turkey barley mushroom soup but we have enough turkey left over to do a pot pie.

Back