Trying to figure out the Big Poppa Smoker

Aegis

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Brian
Got this for free - previous owner won it in an auction and didn’t care for it. My first few attempts showed it wanted to run around 275-300 when lit the traditional UDS method of filling the basket and throwing some lit coals on top. I’d like to have a bit more control. As it sits it leaks so much that closing all the vents top and bottom will still have enough heat to start combustion the next morning.

So, a lazy snake around the basket with some chunks underneath seems to be doing OK so far. Hovered around 212 with one hole open, two holes is giving me 227 according to the FireBoard.

Put a rump roast on, sitting on a rack over a CI pan with russets, onion, carrot and garlic + some beef broth. We will see.

One thing I do like about the BPS is the fire basket & mounts. It is nice to have it sit up high for loading and easily lower it to the cooking position, I did a cook the other day where I pulled the lit basked up and seared with it. If I can figure out the air control on this it is a winner, but so far I miss my ball valves.

Attachments

• E4DB2928-A7DA-426B-90BA-908C6DA01353.jpg
    E4DB2928-A7DA-426B-90BA-908C6DA01353.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 24BC810A-6ABD-471C-8348-92C18CD7EF44.jpg
    24BC810A-6ABD-471C-8348-92C18CD7EF44.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 196
it is burning steady though, you can see when I kicked the second draft hole open.

Attachments

• 22415DF9-F508-4DBD-9D08-671EF14D579B.jpg
    22415DF9-F508-4DBD-9D08-671EF14D579B.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 190
My drum likes to cook at 300 and I love it. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of trying to keep it so low.

Did it have a deflection plate?
I heard good things about those.

Fix the leaks and that will solve your problem. The bottom vents on the BPS drum kits are kind of over-kill. You will wind up running the smoker with one hole open, and the top vent mostly open.

I have a BPS drum I put together probably 7+ years ago. I really like it but have never been a fan of the air intake design. Mine seems to settle in around 275.

I would look at the bottom vents to see if there is any way to fix any potential leeks.

The other thing to look at is how well the lid seals. Mine is a little out of round and if I don't tap it down with a rubber mallet temp will spike on me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The half-baked snake seems to have worked well. First time I got it to run sub-250. If I had laid it out more evenly I’ll bet the temp would have been quite a bit more steady. All in all a good cook, the roast was perfect but the vegetables had too much smoke.

I am confused why you would want to modify the cooking temps of a cooker that clearly likes to run at 275F+. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cooking at 275F-325F. If that's where the beast likes to run, I'd learn to roll with it.

I am confused why you would want to modify the cooking temps of a cooker that clearly likes to run at 275F+. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cooking at 275F-325F. If that's where the beast likes to run, I'd learn to roll with it.

I like to have the option of low & slow. Plus, I can’t leave well enough alone and just like experimenting with my gear.

Back