Tried New Chicken Recipe Today

P0rkButt

Found some matches.
Hi BBQ Brethren. Today has been a long day of chores: cutting a few acres of pasture, lugging more sections of the 50' oak tree that fell on a steep slope of my property a few weeks ago, hauling trash to the dump...

I'm glad the wife had asked me to smoke 2 whole chickens today. It we a bit hectic getting things going with all the other goings-on, but we made it. I tried a recipe by Bill Gillespie from his book, with a change or two.

This morning around 9:30 AM I opened the thawed chickens and trimmed them into halves. Then I loosened the skin and salted the breast and thigh under the skin, and salted the skin all around. We sat that in the fridge until around 3:00 PM. I placed two 2" slices of Hickory and one chunk of Apple wood in the coal ring at the vent locations. I then filled the charcoal ring with KBB and lit 12-14 coals in the chimney. When ready, I dumped them in the center of the unlit coals and left the bottom section open to air for about 5 minutes for the other coals to catch.

Today was my first time trying an empty water pan, taking advice from Harry Soo's postings online. I double foiled my water pan like he does so all I have to do is remove the outer layer and refoil for next time. I have to say, I was shocked at how easy it was to dial in temps this way. I feel like the WSM is far more responsive to vent changes and I hardly had to do anything to dial in the thermo to 250-252 exactly.

The chicken halves were rubbed under the skin and on top the skin with a Dijon Garlic wet rub per Gillespie's recipe. They went on the smoker and cooked for about 2 hours. During this time I hauled off the trash, about a 40 minute round trip. Came back to the WSM hovering at 250 exactly. Sweet.

Once the thermo probe in the chicken breast read 145, I took the lid and mid-section off the bottom section and blew the coals, getting a pretty good fire going. After about 3-5 minutes of this, I reassembled the WSM and got the smoker up to 298-302 to crisp the skin some and finish the cook. This worked pretty well but higher temps would have probably done a little better, or dropping the grate down to the coals and doing a direct sear on the skin, but I'm still very happy with the results.

The small sample I tasted was amazing... Now the wife is calling us to come for dinner. Here's what I'm about to feast on:

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 76
Respect for a guy who busts his a$$ all day and still makes time to smoke some grub. I'd tear those birds up with some white sauce. Nice job.

Thanks y’all. The wife and little girl are very happy with this. Thanks to Mr. Gillespie for the recipe! Definitely the best chicken I’ve cooked so far.

Attachments

• 911936F3-6540-4D9B-801A-6D09FF18E983.jpg
    911936F3-6540-4D9B-801A-6D09FF18E983.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 63
Back