Time for a new smoker/grill

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello, I currently have a vertical offset I bought from Academy....paid $300. I got rid of my uds I built due to at the time I wanted some real smoke! I also did not like the uds for direct grilling even though I had it set up to do that.

The bad news at the time how inefficient and how much fuel it burned out. I did mods on it like high heat felt tape around the doors and created a basket. I thought it would be fun to add splits during a long cook. That's the least of the issue. I'm really sick of too much smoke. I've tried every technique possible and with patience I have achieved good cooks. I'm just over spending the money on splits along with lump or charcoal and temps jumping up and down and most of all I'm sick of heavy smoke.

First, I'm selling my offset on Craigslist. I could get my money back with the ridiculous prices I have seen on this website but I think I can get at least $150 not to mention the mods including a River Country 3 inch stem therm I put in it.

Second for the new cooker. I was at a bbq restaurant I haven't been to in a long time and had a chopped brisket sandwich. I ate the whole thing and wanted seconds. The smoke was slightly in there and was delicious.Another typical kitchen that uses an electric cooker. Not overbearing smoke that's too much. For the record,there is a couple of bbq restaurants that use real smokers and it's the same issue for me. Then I really was thinking about an option of getting an electric cooker. Something that is sacrilegious. Hell, I remember once watching pitmasters and a contestant was using a rotisserie smoker even though still uses wood. I thought at the time that should be illegal! But then not too long from that I want to a spice/salsa convention and someone had one of these and had a sample of some chicken the guy made and was incredible.

I don't know about electric smokers at all. I am assuming they use chips for the actual smoke and I do know about pellet smokers also. I was just considering one under 300$ that is efficient. So if I go this route, need some recommendations. One problem I may encounter is...the rain. I don't have some industrial vents in my kitchen (its a normal house) like restaurants do so obviously has to be outside. I live in Fort Worth, TX where rain can happen out of the blue and I don't have covering much so I'm thinking an electrical cord in the rain=bad. The other obvious problem is I will not be able to grill anything. So I could get an electric smoker and a Weber grill.

Lastly, speaking of the Weber....I can now get the small one for $200. This is another option and I can grill with it but have heard from some the actual Weber grill sears better, especially for steaks. I like the fact it has a water pan though know many don't use it and foil it. I am assuming the reasoning is with water, even the minion method will not last and will have to refuel during long cook times. I also like it as a diffuser and to block drippings going down into the pit which I hated that part in my uds as again created the overbearing smoke I hated.

Thoughts, feelings, emotions appreciated.

A $200 WSM means you're looking at the 14.5".
I don't have one yet, but I have amade a couple of the mini WSMs out of Smokey Joe grills.
They aren't very big, but might be big enough for you depending on how you cook.
WSMs are not made to be used as a grill, but you can make it work. The lid isn't made to sit on the bowl like a kettle lid would.
The purpose of the water pan is to even out temp spikes and speed temp recovery if you take the lid off. As far as using water in a WSM pan, some don't use it because it takes a lot of energy to keep the water hot. They'll foil the pan and run it dry, or with sand, or a clay flower pot base. Still acts as a diffuser/heat sink, but uses less of the fire's energy to keep hot.

I went through the same issues with a cheap offset when I started about 20 years ago. I thought it was great because it had "Professional" on it. not a chance.......

Do yourself a favor and stay with the Weber while you save your money over the next year. Do your homework and research the choices before selecting your smoker.

Simply put a well built fuel efficient smoker isn't cheap whether it's wood, charcoal, or electric. If you want to stay cheap, the Weber offers the best bang for the buck. A WSM can be used as a smoker or a grill.

I just picked up a new Weber One Touch Platinum at Lowes for $199.00. Not a WSM but a killer grill with work table.

Keep us posted.

you could get one or two of these, used.....

Jan2012week2011.jpg

....or like MadMan says, even new with a work table they don't break the bank....

Will do everything from cold smoked cheese up to screamin' hot searing & pizzas......

10-8-13PTampBrisket076-1.jpg

Texas isn't the easiest place to find used ones on Craig's or the like, but they are there if you look around.....

I do stuff down in the bottom & leave room for other items on the grate....

Jan2012week2003.jpg

Jan2012week2005.jpg

.....or add on a cheap grate to make more surface area (mostly for smoking items)

Jan2012week2008.jpg

You can set coals to run all nite on larger items too.....

LastSunAug2012027.jpg

LastSunAug2012050.jpg

LastSunAug2012051.jpg

If you don't like as much smoke like you're saying, just add in less or use straight charcoal.....that's the nice thing about it, you get to pick how much.....

If you're just cooking for yourself or one other person, like Clark said the small WSM (14.5" size) might also be a good decision.............

the only time you'd be messin' with an electric cord was if you got an add-on rotisserie ring w/ a motor.....

I drive up to Foat Wirth and haul off that pit if you 'll take 50.00 fer it! Build a another UDS and buy a Gas Grill.

Build a another UDS and buy a Gas Grill.

Sounds like stood idea to me. My UDS puts out some good Q, smoke depends on how tight I pack the basket with chunks. I can run a very long cook with lump & chunks for about $7.

Let's talk about the heavy smoke taste. May be a dirty fire. What kind of wood are you using?

Back