Time for a bigger smoker...build or buy

For $4K he's better off getting a Humphrey smoker.

The only comparable gravity feed unit Humphrey Smoker is the GF Tank 2 wide and it is $1500 more than a Deep South GC28. That's before adding caster which the Deep South does standard. I did a ton of research before I ordered my Deep South GC36. Just my opinion after researching for over a year.

I'm partial to offset reverse flow smokers. Built one myself and I'm fairly proud of it and love to cook on it. But I know how to weld and fabricate. If I had subbed all of that out I would probably have been just as well off buying one (I was thinking Lang). Steel is expensive, and so is getting someone to weld something for you. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would buy, but it would really depend on what was available in my area for purchase. Not too many options in Alaska, so a smoker build wouldn't be out of the question.

I would get a Humphrey's but I am biased as I just ordered a DEB myself after a lot of researching. If you have the cash, from evvvvvvverything I've read, you won't be disappointed. Not a bad word about them here, even from those that don't own em.

For that number of butts I think you need a Pint Qube at a minimum but more likely the plus version or a DEB Qube. It's not exactly portable though.

You can also use a bucket of lit in the cabinets with the fire box on the bottom, once there rolling it's pretty easy, obviously a gravity fed is easier though

Back