Thoughts on this probe placement

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
Just tossed 3 racks of babybacks on my WSM. Usually I have my top rack probe closer to the edge of the grate, but today I put it in the middle for some reason. I'm getting a little lower readout than usual at this point in the burn and I am not sure if that is due to the placement.

I suspect I'm getting some cooling from the cold meat but wasn't sure if the center of the grate was perhaps a cooler place overall?

Qb9HNoXh.jpg

Just tossed 3 racks of babybacks on my WSM. Usually I have my top rack probe closer to the edge of the grate, but today I put it in the middle for some reason. I'm getting a little lower readout than usual at this point in the burn and I am not sure if that is due to the placement.

I suspect I'm getting some cooling from the cold meat but wasn't sure if the center of the grate was perhaps a cooler place overall?

Qb9HNoXh.jpg

Is the third rack directly below the probe?

I think there's sort of a bubble of cooler air that surrounds the meat -- Meathead has a drawing of it in his book, and recommends placing the probe far enough from the meat to be outside that bubble. I'll bet your probe is caught up in the intersection between the cooler air surrounding each rack. . . .

Back