Thick goopy slime on Carando Ham? No bad smell?

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
I just opened a Carando spiral sliced ham to put in the oven. Everything seemed normal until I pulled it out of the cryovac plastic. A thick goopy slime was coating the thing, like a enough to drip down in a big puddle. I have to say I'm a bit grossed out. My wife seems to think it's normal. I've never seen anything like that.

But it doesn't smell bad at all. Smells like every other ham. So what do you all think, edible?

I got in touch with the company. They recommend chucking it. They said they’ve had numerous similar complaints this week and most from the supermarket (Market Basket) that I bought this.

My guess is it’s fine. Probably too much time out of cold storage. But I checked it. They offered a refund.

When I worked in a deli, opening lots of cryo with pre-cooked deli meats, the slime was not uncommon. I have rinsed it off and eaten it and served it... And no one died.

It was most common with heavily cured meats like pastrami and ham.

It's definitely undesirable, and I would ask for trade in or refund.

Anyone know what causes this? To this day I hate pastrami because I imagine the giant loogie that they come packed in sometimes.

I'm guessing it's a a combo of melted fat and gelatin. This was just too thick and snotty. But I'm sure it was not due to bacterial contamination. There would be obvious smell and this thing smelled like fresh ham. Nevertheless, getting the brain past slime isn't easy, so out it went.

They asked you to chuck it just to cover their backsides, but they know it's really fine and just a gelatinous process of manufacture. Maybe spiral hams have more because the spiralling process does indeed slice up all the surface area and the goop will collect in the cryovac.

Back