THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
If some of you are like me you might have seen an alert pop up on your phone yesterday about an outage affecting the WiFi gateway for ThermoWorks Smoke. I just spoke with them a couple of minutes ago. Unfortunately it hit me at a bad time because I have been smoking some pork butts since 10:00 last night to feed a women’s minisylater today. They said they hope to have the server up before the weekend is over. Oh well. So glad that the Smoke can operate independent of the Internet. Losing connectivity is certainly a distraction but it’s not a showstopper.

That explains why I couldn't get mine to work yesterday. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wait... it requires the vendor to operate? Are they all like this or just the Smoke?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it's still down, luckily I'm not going anywhere the receiver won't reach. Am missing my cook chart for the brisket that's about to go on. :sad:

They found the issue yesterday. A firmware patch was available that resolves it.

The communication issue with Smoke Gateway has been resolved. A firmware update will need to be completed to return your Smoke Gateway to normal operation. This can be completed in two ways:

1 - (Recommended and easiest) Wait for the automatic update that occurs every night at 6:00 PM MT (8:00 PM ET). Keep your Smoke Gateway turned on and connected to a Wi-Fi network at the update time (see below to verify you are connected to a Wi-Fi network). The update will download automatically and nothing else will need to be done. You will not need to set up your Smoke Gateway again and it will retain all of the original settings.

If your Smoke Gateway is blinking blue and purple, that means that your Smoke Gateway is still connected to a Wi-Fi network. If it is only blinking purple please go through the setup process by following the in-app instructions. The app will say 'Setup Fail', but Smoke Gateway will start blinking blue and purple indicating connection to a Wi-Fi network.

2 - Force the update manually. With Smoke Gateway connected to a Wi-Fi network (as indicated by blue and purple flashes) turn your Smoke Gateway off by pressing and holding the power button (two red LED flashes). Power up Smoke Gateway by pressing the power button (two blue LED flashes). After the next LED flash blue or purple, press the power button 3 times (hold power button for 1 second and release for 1 second, 3 times). Consistent blue LED flashes (1-second flashes) will indicate the firmware update has started. Once the firmware update is complete, the blue LED will stop flashing (approximately 5-10 seconds) and Smoke Gateway will successfully communicate with the server and app. LED should return to blue flashes every 10 seconds indicating everything is working correctly.

Watch Video Instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SkLWZA167o&feature=youtu.be

If you need any help during this process, please call our Tech Support Team at 800-393-6434.

- ThermoWorks Team

How about the DOT? Has everyone had good luck with those? I don't need Wifi or bells and whistles. I just want it to be reliable.

How about the DOT? Has everyone had good luck with those? I don't need Wifi or bells and whistles. I just want it to be reliable.
I have 2 of the DOTs. They work great! One temp reading and with or without a temp alarm.
You can change temp probe for your needs. They have one for Air, food or Sous Vide. The Sous Vide is water proof. A extension is also available. And the same probes will work on other products like the Smoke and Chef. , :mrgreen:

Last edited:
The smoke is very reliable on its own without the wi-fi. I'm not a fan of wires in general or having to connect to bluetooth or wi-fi. I was so happy when they came out with an RF model. Checking the temp of your brisket while at work sounds cool but just isn't necessary for me. I wish they had a way to track and log cooks without having to use the gateway.

BTW, when I got the email I shared above, it was before that push last night. I got my gateway and made sure it was on. A couple hours after the push, I couldn't tell a difference, so I replied to the email asking how we would know if we got the update. It was suggested that I force the push by following Step 2. Took about 5 mins, and now just blue flashing lights, so all good.

Back