The truth about Royal Oak & Walmart

OK- How about dispelling the rumour about Royal Oak going out of business and its relationship with Big Green Egg lump?

Marketing surveys have shown that the word LUMP has negative connotations to most ordinary backyard grillers. For this reason Royal Oak has decided to relaunch as a new new product.

They are planning to reintroduce their product as "Royal Oak Natural Briquettes" The tag line will be "Green Grilling with Naturally Burned Wood"

The color of the bags is being changed to green to coincide with this change in marketing. Royal Oak will also announced tomorrow they have purchased The Big Green Egg company and will rebrand the egg as the Royal Green Egg.

Hope this clears everything up for you.

Marketing surveys have shown that the word LUMP has negative connotations to most ordinary backyard grillers. For this reason Royal Oak has decided to relaunch as a new new product.

They are planning to reintroduce their product as "Royal Oak Natural Briquettes" The tag line will be "Green Grilling with Naturally Burned Wood"

The color of the bags is being changed to green to coincide with this change in marketing. Royal Oak will also announced tomorrow they have purchased The Big Green Egg company and will rebrand the egg as the Royal Green Egg.

Hope this clears everything up for you.

I am going to send Dale this link tomorrow so he can get a laugh out of this one!!!
So it has been Larry starting these rumors this whole time!!:eek::eek::eek::biggrin:

Royal Oak also has been bagging their briquettes for Ace hardware in the Ace brand bag for years and will continue doing so.

sidebar:

If this is what I got when I bought Ace charcoal a couple years ago, then I am worried about the product. It lit like old tires.

I am going to send Dale this link tomorrow so he can get a laugh out of this one!!!
So it has been Larry starting these rumors this whole time!!:eek::eek::eek::biggrin:

Not a rumor. The 17 year old sales person at BBQ Galore told me this weekend. Everyone knows they are the authoritative voice in all that is good about BBQ.

sidebar:

If this is what I got when I bought Ace charcoal a couple years ago, then I am worried about the product. It lit like old tires.

He said they started doing this for them a couple years ago but you may have been into the old stock of the previous vendor.

So whats everybodys gripe with Kingsford? And have you tried the Charwood lump from Kingsford? I have used both and to be honest I think I get longer burns with the Charwood but to be fair it was in 2 different cookers (RO in a Brinkman and Charwood in a NBBD)

Their website has been a PITA so they let it fold. Don't think because they chose not to spend money on a web site that they are hurting for cash.

Then today I was at the next closest WalMart and the guy there told me straight up they were not getting anymore and that Kingsford had put the pressure on WalMart to carry only K as a national brand.

I knew absolutely nothing of this rumor until I read this thread. I do not use RO or Kingsford, nor do I shop at WalMart. In short, I have no dogs in this race.

But I do know a little about business and marketing. It's inconceivable to me that a company would "fold" a web site because it's a PITA. It costs about $10 a month to host a web site, maybe up to $200 a month if the traffic is exceptional (not including developer/admin costs). If it's really exceptional (millions of hits per month) the costs can be far greater but I doubt this is the case. And I do know that because I manage a few sites. I could understand a site overhaul but even the simplest business models would allow for a static, digital brochure that guides potential consumers where to purchase the product or get more information. So, at the very least, the company is not very savvy about digital marketing.

The comment from the Walmart employee is also disturbing. It's hard to imagine a distributor's employee would or even could make something like this up.

And, I've talked to many people associated with businesses over the years that swear up and down they are not in trouble only to find out the next day, week, or month that they the doors have closed. I've even worked for troubled companies and given similar lines myself. The business journals and political news have many examples of folks denying the end is near just before the doors shut.

And one only has to Google Royal Oak to see that they have had financial problems since at least 2005.

Again, I know nothing about the company. I'm just a skeptic at heart.

$8.44 for a $20# bag at Jetro Cash & Carry (Restaurant Depot) this morning in Long Beach.

ACe hardware and ACO hardware both carry their own brands of charcoal briquets but look at the manufacturer and it says Royal Oak.

Are you guys using the briquettes or the natural lump? I've used RO natural lump in the past because I was worried about the additives in briquettes, but maybe that was the Kingsford stuff I was thinking about and the RO doesn't have those concerns...

Back