the thrill of the hunt

There's still "limited stock" (meaning maybe one) listed close enough to me. I have nothing but time these days. If you want I can pick it up make a short road trip, I'm sure theres a brewery close by to justify the drive

Walmart about 20 minutes away has the BHC listed as "limited stock."

$45!!!!!!!

Went to HD after urban hike. Choice was 30 stainless 12 brass washers. Bought the brass for outside of BHC handles. Does this count as a Mod??

Went to HD after urban hike. Choice was 30 stainless 12 brass washers. Bought the brass for outside of BHC handles. Does this count as a Mod??
Slow down. See how it cooks first!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There's still "limited stock" (meaning maybe one) listed close enough to me. I have nothing but time these days. If you want I can pick it up make a short road trip, I'm sure theres a brewery close by to justify the drive
Thanks for the offer, but I've probably more time than you, being retired.
After thinking a little, at this point, it's between the Akorn and building a UDS. With two kettles, either one would be different for me. I'll probably wait to see if the Akorn goes below $100.00. Or if I can score a free barrel close by.

I've been reading about the intake modification on your Akorn and thinking that it would work well on a UDS. I've always thought something better could be done rather than the pipes sticking out with a valve.

After thinking a little, at this point, it's between the Akorn and building a UDS. With two kettles, either one would be different for me. I'll probably wait to see if the Akorn goes below $100.00. Or if I can score a free barrel close by.

I've been reading about the intake modification on your Akorn and thinking that it would work well on a UDS. I've always thought something better could be done rather than the pipes sticking out with a valve.

the akorn is for sale. just name your price:biggrin1:

I think my drum cost $150 for the total build. it would be less if I had any of the hardware around the house.

the akorn is for sale. just name your price:biggrin1:

I think my drum cost $150 for the total build. it would be less if I had any of the hardware around the house.
Brickseek's main page says there are Akorns going for $34.50. :shock:
I've been collecting free UDS pieces as I find them. I have an ECB body or a milk crate for a coal basket, a spare kettle grate, lots of pieces of pipe and a valve, decades of hoarded nuts and bolts, sheet metal to make other types of intakes, and all the tools. Just no barrel-yet. If I had a welder, I could even make a drum from some steel panels I have.
Maybe I should see if Brickseek has welders?

Brickseek shows 2 at 2 different Walmarts within 15 miles from me for $45. I already have a uds, so I don't really need one, but I am having a hard time not buying one.

All credit goes to Tom for what I dubbed the ebikorn. In addition to the wine bottle shaped intake (it gives control at lower temps while still being capable of pulling enough air for high heat) he fabbed a stainless cook grate. The cast iron grate was heavy and awkward to move and keep clean. It has other mods including unseen fixes to air leaks improvement and to overall engineering. Tom is a tinkerer. He either builds or heavily mods all his cookers. He even ripped apart a his Humphreys.

Brickseek shows 2 at 2 different Walmarts within 15 miles from me for $45. I already have a uds, so I don't really need one, but I am having a hard time not buying one.

I didn't need this. I may take it to moms. Maybe 6 cooks a year.

The way I justified it was by considering it would cost more to buy the parts and drum to build one.

I have a jimmy and just sold a 20x52 vertical that i never used. I bought a bhc because i wanted to try hanging and i can easily get my money back. Nothing to do with needs...i keep saying it's the hunting that makes me buy these clearance cookers.

Yes extra washers on outside to protect porcelain finish at stress point. Also two bolts are slightly longer and are meant for the lid handle. I probably missed that as well

I didn't notice the difference in length of bolts and only had 4 washers. I went with washers on the inside of the barrel handles. Theres no going back, I've already burnt it in.

Damn you guys!! The other day it was the Pit Boss Copperhead for 199 now its the BHC for 89!! 25 miles and I could have one. Must resist! :decision:

Damn you guys!! The other day it was the Pit Boss Copperhead for 199 now its the BHC for 89!! 25 miles and I could have one. Must resist! :decision:
When they drop to $109 & $45 you'll get both...

LOL, I snatched up the Copperhead already at 199. If the BHC hits 45 I'd for sure get it. I'm having a hard time not just getting it at 89.

Theres 4 series 5 copperheads at a store within driving distance for $199

I'm holding out but did tell a buddy. I'm in at $109 but really dont need either of these at all. Pj is right it's more about the thrill of the hunt

Theres 4 series 5 copperheads at a store within driving distance for $199

I'm holding out but did tell a buddy. I'm in at $109 but really dont need either of these at all. Pj is right it's more about the thrill of the hunt

I only grabbed it because its hard to do a cook for family on my Davy Crockett. I've been wanting something bigger but didn't want to spend much money. This fit the bill. Now i'm going to have to start making bacon and sausage.

Another forum that deals with pellet grills did a review of the 5 series when it came out. Did a bunch of temp tests and cooks. It performed well. More than good enough to justify 199.

I only grabbed it because its hard to do a cook for family on my Davy Crockett. I've been wanting something bigger but didn't want to spend much money. This fit the bill. Now i'm going to have to start making bacon and sausage.

Another forum that deals with pellet grills did a review of the 5 series when it came out. Did a bunch of temp tests and cooks. It performed well. More than good enough to justify 199.

I picked up some wire racks at a local restaurant supply store today. They were labelled as 2/3 racks, I don't know if that is 2/3rds of a hotel pan. In any event I sat them on top of the racks that came with this unit and they took up all of the usable space. With these racks this can be a jerky beast. Or Cheez-it beast or whatever else.

Back