The pork fat burn was so worth it! (pron)

I loved your story up until the burn! Ouch hopefully you're ok. Looking forward to seeing the finished pork pics. Just rub some pork meat on your burn and it will heal even faster.

I told you to let the sploogie cool first before splashing it onto your skin.

*Note to self, at Bash, do not stand near Tom.

I've heard that before, in this case, I kept it in either cold water or an ice pack on it until the next morning. It hasn't blistered yet, and the pain is almost totally gone.

Just so that this doesn't turn into a "How to treat burns" thread, let me start by saying the pics of the butt look great and the narative was quite entertaining.

That having been said, you did exactly what you should have done with your burn.

I'm amazed at how many people - cooks especially - think that putting a "slather" of anything on a burn will somehow make it less destructive.

Think about it: We all know that meat will continue to cook once we've removed it from the heat source. That's what "resting" is all about.

Anytime you slather a burn with an oil (butter, margarine, or anything else "food oriented"), you keep the heat in and the burn continues to "cook" your tissue.

Cool, running water or anything that draws the heat out and away from the burn is the best way to treat first and minor second-degree burns.

Dang Tom! Glad the pork was worth all the pain. Good idea there except for the FOIL PAN.

Once, while frying green tomatos I watched a glob of grease jettison itself from the pan, deduced the trajectory instantly and knew it would land on my palm and STILL didn't have time to do anything but watch the event unfold. Grease sticks! Instantly under the sink and then into a bucket of ice - still had a good size second degree burn that throbbed for hours.

Ouch hope you heal well! You know if you cooked it in the crockpot you would not have had all the problems. Just say'n. :becky: Off to my room now.

Good thing the liquid fat didn't spill directly over the coals! I've had that happen before and it will light up the night sky in a hurry!
Yeah, that's another reason why I like using a diffuser, keeps those grease fires from kicking up unexpectedly.

What effect do you believe cutting your sugar in half achieved? I would have liked to know how it would have turned out had you not changed your rub.

Nice way to Smoke a Pork Butt and sorry about that horrible burn pardner!!! But with me each time I get burned, and it happens alot while BBQueing, I place an Ice Pack on it and I never get blisters

What effect do you believe cutting your sugar in half achieved? I would have liked to know how it would have turned out had you not changed your rub.

The immediate thing that I noticed was that it caused the bark to be less dense and not as dark. In the past I have tried wrapping butts in the past with my normal rub and found that the bark took on a teriyaki-jerky like texture somewhat sticky with a slight chew to it. When I haven't wrapped the bark hasn't become tacky but does have that similar jerky like quality. It's not that it's been a hard crust or anything like that but there has been a marked difference in it's tenderness versus that of the rest of the meat. The other part was the coloring. By cutting the sugars down the coloring of the bark wasn't nearly as dark. At first, I suspected this had meant that the smoke flavor hadn't made it's way into the meat as much but, I found an even smokeyness throught the whole butt. So this leads me to believe that not only was my original darker bark caused by carmelization but, also by the smoke binding with the sugars as well. In short the more sugar rub had a smokier, darker, chewier, and possibly stickier bark than the less sugar one and, it almost seemed like the smoked pierced deeper into the meat with the less sugar rub. I might be imagining noticing these things but, they were the differences that I found.

not to derail, but, if you ever get a burn spread a large amount of mustard on your burn. It takes away the pain almost immediately and helps to eliminate blistering and scarring.

I burned my hand not long ago and the neighbor said 2 use "Preparation H". I didn't believe him, but I got some anyway. The bottom line was that it not only relieved the pain, the blister that would have burst and become dead skin - didn't! The skin recovered as well.

The down side: U turn into an A-hole and feel pretty crappy!:lol:

As a fellow with a belly perhaps bigger than the pic, I sincerely sympathise! Ouch!

You know what else sucks? Making a roux and accidentally splashing some on your wrist. It just sticks right to ya!

Ouch! Been there done that. At least you didn't drop your butt! :shocked: Ask me what it looks like when you do :becky:

Ouch... There has to be an interesting story that you have to share with this picture...
This burn was the result of being in a hurry during crunch time at a contest. I used to cook with a stick burner and foiled my ribs in Apple/grape juice. I was running behind and needed to get the ribs unfoiled and back in the pit but I was also trying to do my chicken turn-in. I grabbed a hold of a foil pack of ribs and pulled it out. The foil pack caught the handle on the rack and ripped it open, spilling the hot juice/fat mixture down my six-pack abs. I know you can't see the six-pack abs in the picture, but trust me....they are there. It's just the swelling hiding it. Oh, and the swelling has never gone down either. It's really weird!:crazy:
I think the adrenaline rush of the contest helped me get through the pain.

Almost forgot! Here are some of the creations that I came up with using this pork.
1010101033a.jpg

1007101251a.jpg

1008101214b.jpg

1008101218.jpg

1008101222a.jpg

Back