Thanks to you guys, my first brisket was a success!

syndicate559

Full Fledged Farker
In the few weeks I've been hanging around this forum, I've learned a ton. You guys helped me settle on getting the 22.5" WSM and convinced me to make a UDS my next project. And, with a lot of research through previous threads, the roadmap, etc, I hit a BBQ milestone today with the completion of my first brisket. I want to say that basically everything I did was the result of one discussion or another on here. Unfortunately, I read so many posts that I don't remember who was responsible for each and every idea. I just know that as I did my research, a game plan came together and if you see your own influence in here, I offer my sincerest thanks.

Got an 11.5 lb. packer and prepped it Monday afternoon. First I did some trimming of excess fat, rubbed with mustard and sprinkled with Lawry's (wanted that fine first coat of seasoning). After it sat in the fridge for about 4 hours, I injected with my evolving beef marinade (this time I went 1:1 Spicy V8 and beef broth, plus several dashes of Worchestershire), then hit the top and bottom with my own House Rub, which I love on beef.

I had a very late hockey game, but got home at about 12:30 AM, lit my fire and got the meat on by 2:00 when the white smoke had died down and it settled in with a nice dome temp of around 260.

brisket-early.jpg

I couldn't fall asleep for a long time, because this was only my second cook on the WSM and I was totally paranoid about keeping a steady temp. Finally caught some Zzz's on the couch some time after three. Set my phone alarm to wake me up about every hour and a half. I have to say, I got the WSM dialed to hold a nice steady 250 and it never failed. Of course, my kids woke up eventually and made it impossible for me to get more than maybe 4 hours of sleep total, but I was on an adventure! By mid-morning, some nice bark was forming. I wrapped with foil when it hit 175 IT, which I think was around noon or maybe 1:00. Added a splash of beef broth at that point. I checked every hour or so for temp and texture and finally got that "hot-knife-through-butter" feel in the flat at about 4:30 PM.

brisket-temp.jpg

Pulled the brisket, put it in my ice chest with towels and the foil and let it rest until about 6:30. I gotta tell ya, I was nervous unwrapping that baby, because I had put so much time into it and I prepared it for Family Dinner with my folks, one of my brothers and his wife, plus a friend and his son. There were 11 people waiting on this thing with high expectations!

brisket-done.jpg

All in all, I was really happy with my first attempt. The flat wasn't what I would call juicy, but extremely tender and flavorful. I have only had brisket 3 or 4 times prior to this (it's rare out here), so I honestly don't have much to compare it to. This was the first time I got to experience the whole cut of meat and really get familiar with it. I have to say that the flat, sliced up made incredible sandwiches. It's so much easier to eat than tri-tip sandwiches, which are so popular here. The tri-tip can be chewy and hard to bite all the way through when it's on a sammie. Not so with my brisky! This stuff melted in your mouth. I didn't get any good picks of it all sliced up, because everyone was hovering as I carved and eating it as fast as I could put it in the dish.

brisket-slices.jpg

Not having experience with brisket, I never knew until tonight what the point was all about. I knew that a lot of people like burnt ends, but didn't really have any point of reference on it. Now I know and holy crap, what a revelation! I didn't put the point back on, just let it rest and separated when I sliced everything, but OMG! What an amazing little piece of meat! So tender, so juicy, I mean it literally melted in your mouth. I couldn't get people to leave it alone. Even my mom, who really isn't into beef and absolutely detests tri-tip, was freaking out. Seriously, that was about the sexiest piece of beef I've eaten that wasn't prime rib. It was that good.

Next time, I might foil in a foil pan and add a little more broth to see if I can get the moisture content up in the flat, but again, I'm really stoked with how the first one turned out and I literally could not have done it without you guys.

Looks good & sounds like a happy family & friends! You can't really ask for more than that. :thumb:

Sounds like a successful cook of a brisket. While I do love brisket, you need to learn how to smoke a tri-tip on that WSM so that it is tender and flavorful. Then there is Picanha, which is even more so. There is so much more, and then there are the Northern California Bashes we have from time to time, where we really throw down some Q.

While I do love brisket, you need to learn how to smoke a tri-tip on that WSM so that it is tender and flavorful.

Funny you should mention that! This was the second cook on the WSM, but the first one was a tri-tip that turned out really, really nice. I could learn something new about BBQ every day for the rest of my life and still not know it all, but I can produce a very flavorful, very tender tri-tip. I was actually getting really good tri's out of my little Brinkmann, but I can already tell the WSM is upping the ante. My comment about the brisket making an easier sandwich to eat was just meant to refer to the "bite through" if that makes sense. That's the only way I can think to describe it. I would imagine that if you cooked a tri-tip to 200 degrees, it would be that easy to eat too, but who wants tri-tip that's hotter than 135? :p I prefer tri-tip sliced on the plate to in a sandwich anyway, but being from California, you know full well how popular it is in sandwiches.

If you guys have a NorCal shindig at any point, I would love to come, even if I have to drive a couple hours.

Looks great. I bet it tasted great.

Out of curiosity, did you smoke it on the bottom rack with nothing on the top rack?

Nice work sir! :clap2: And hats off for having the 'nads to try something new with folks coming over for dinner - I like your style! When it turns out well, there ain't nuthin' like it! :thumb: And I'm with ya on the point - that's where it's at.

Looks great. I bet it tasted great.

Out of curiosity, did you smoke it on the bottom rack with nothing on the top rack?

Yes, that's what ended up happening. My original plan was to go out and get something else to put on the top rack in the morning, but it never happened. I made 6 or 7 Anaheim chile ABT's, which are much bigger than jalapenos, but they still all fit on the bottom rack.

Is there a theory about which rack is better if you have them both open? I could see an argument for each one.

I don't know. I usually use the top rack if I'm only using 1 rack, so I don't have to bend over and lean inside. I thought maybe you'd heard a reason to use the bottom one instead.

I don't know. I usually use the top rack if I'm only using 1 rack, so I don't have to bend over and lean inside. I thought maybe you'd heard a reason to use the bottom one instead.

Nope, there wasn't any strategy to it other than thinking I was gonna add more meat later. Kinda seems like having it on the bottom, especially a large roast, is a good idea if you're using water in the pan, because it might help keep it more moist. I don't know if that's true, there might be plenty of steam on the top rack. I'm probably over thinking :doh:

Back